2020 Infotainment System/Apple Carplay Issues

Ardizzl3z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2k21 FK8
Country flag
I was driving yesterday for about an hour until going down hill. The headhunt turned off and rebooted. After that I rebooted the HU again to see if CarPlay loads but didn't so I had to stop and turn the car off for a cold boot.

Then the HU started to reboot again for about 5 times within a span of 30 mins.

RIDICULOUS!
Sponsored

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I was driving yesterday for about an hour until going down hill. The headhunt turned off and rebooted. After that I rebooted the HU again to see if CarPlay loads but didn't so I had to stop and turn the car off for a cold boot.

Then the HU started to reboot again for about 5 times within a span of 30 mins.

RIDICULOUS!
please let us know outcome of your situation. If you get a replacement, etc

NoFanVABeach

First Name
Cristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
As ironic as it may sound, 2016-18 models (2017-18 Type R) actually have a TSB that fixes this issue (through a firmware upgrade). No such fix exists for the 2019-21 models though.
Unfortunately, I can only find it at a cost that I'm not willing to pay considering Honda issued a bulletin for the 2016-2019 audio failure the summer of 2019. It included the 2016 and newer models.
It's nothing more than an update to the system much like updating the navigation maps. Even though it has been an issue for millions of cars Honda is only repairing specific VIN#s which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.
I have the Honda Tech step by step instructions and they have the option to download the update to a USB and use the update usb in the car or hook it up to the computer in service.
If it can be downloaded then why at the very least can we not purchase the download instead of Being inconvenienced and paying a diagnostic fee that I obviously don't need just to be charged more for other things that are wrong? Not a fan

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Unfortunately, I can only find it at a cost that I'm not willing to pay considering Honda issued a bulletin for the 2016-2019 audio failure the summer of 2019. It included the 2016 and newer models.
It's nothing more than an update to the system much like updating the navigation maps. Even though it has been an issue for millions of cars Honda is only repairing specific VIN#s which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.
I have the Honda Tech step by step instructions and they have the option to download the update to a USB and use the update usb in the car or hook it up to the computer in service.
If it can be downloaded then why at the very least can we not purchase the download instead of Being inconvenienced and paying a diagnostic fee that I obviously don't need just to be charged more for other things that are wrong? Not a fan
If you know the right people, you can actually purchase a USB drive with the update on it. I think it’s like 30-40 bucks though. Someone did get one and uploaded one of the firmwares to mega upload. There’s a post on here about it.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not to revive a dead-thread....but...Honda replaced my head unit this past week. So far, so good (but I felt that way after I did the ground wire 'fix' and a few others, so...). The Kernel date and the build version are different than stock, so, I'm again hopeful that this manages to resolve it.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking recently, maybe it's my aftermarket amp and subs... Who knows. Wonder how many of us with issues have a system in the car. I also have a bunch of aftermarket lights too - side markers, tail lights, and the bumper tail light conversion LED's... Maybe all of that adds up to something. It's been happening a lot lately so I just don't plug the phone in.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was thinking recently, maybe it's my aftermarket amp and subs... Who knows. Wonder how many of us with issues have a system in the car. I also have a bunch of aftermarket lights too - side markers, tail lights, and the bumper tail light conversion LED's... Maybe all of that adds up to something. It's been happening a lot lately so I just don't plug the phone in.
I don't know as that has anything/much to do with the isues - mine is bone stock, and it was a constant issue... Of course, the more complicated the plumbing, the easier to stop up the drain, but...mine has zero done to it... Just my 2 cents.

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Opening this thread back up. Are there any updates on fixes for this? I'm having this issue and have nothing electrically aftermarket on the car. I've tried all the suggestions, and for the last two days (4+ drives), the head unit isn't recognizing my phone when it's plugged in.

In a sick way I'm at least glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Also reaffirms my life choices in going with mechanical engineering as opposed to electrical... 🤣

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Opening this thread back up. Are there any updates on fixes for this? I'm having this issue and have nothing electrically aftermarket on the car. I've tried all the suggestions, and for the last two days (4+ drives), the head unit isn't recognizing my phone when it's plugged in.

In a sick way I'm at least glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Also reaffirms my life choices in going with mechanical engineering as opposed to electrical... 🤣
wait a minute now, I'm an EE and i would bet you a lot of money it's a firmware/software issue, not a hardware issue. Us poor EEs have to hand perfect hardware to software guys and then they endlessly write software, never finishing it or getting all the bugs out. Our radios are overburdened and hamstrung with poorly written code that crashes regularly.
I'm currently working daily with software guys that always discretely point the finger at the hardware, and 99% of the time it's their code.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Now that you mention it, my wife's 2015 Hyundai had an annoying issue where the "bluelink" was looking for a 2G? antennal that Cell providers had turned off. It took forever to boot up, and wife constantly complained and wanted to go to dealer, who obviously wouldn't care about a 7 year old car. So, I paid for and downloaded a "Navi" update from Hyundai, and installed it, and the issue went away. Not a single word on the website about that issue. It's been right as rain ever since.
My point is, sometimes "updates" have more than meets the eye.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

disable bluetooth enjoy life

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

take a toothpick and scrape lint out of your charge port hole

bobbyb

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
take a toothpick and scrape lint out of your charge port hole
Yeah I tried this first and three other cables with no success...

disable bluetooth enjoy life
Yup - this too...

Finally last night another re-boot with no wifi or BT with a cold front moving in and the front and rear windows open 2" worked.

S1 S2

First Name
S2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' CW FK8
Country flag
I too experienced quite a bit of lagging, randomly screen freezing, or the worst of all bluetooth refuse to work until turning on and off the car.

However, I did seem to find it more stable after running the Motorala MA1 Wireless car adaptor for android auto. Could be worth looking into if you're tired with scraping lint out of the charge port hole.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I tried this first and three other cables with no success...

Yup - this too...

Finally last night another re-boot with no wifi or BT with a cold front moving in and the front and rear windows open 2" worked.
You sound like you have a faulty or defective head unit. For reference this is my second Type R, had a 2019 before.
Sponsored