Infotainment Failure

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
I have regular failures and abnormal boots and have never connected to carplay or android auto. If I have a USB flash drive plugged in and playing music, I experience lock-ups and other strange failures about once every two hours of use on average. It will fail while driving during hands-free phone calls, Nav will appear to be operating but location can be 20 miles off and direction incorrect (it shows me driving through lakes!). Holding the power button in will ask if I want to reboot, but touching yes won't have any effect. I get long abnormal boots where the white Honda "H" logo appears and not the Type R logo. The list goes on. Even while listening to FM radio, the screen will go blank or randomly reboot. I provided a failure log with video evidence to the dealer, but they can never reproduce it so won't do anything but command a factory reset. I have an open case with Honda but my contact is not easy to reach and hasn't done anything that I can tell. It gives me hope hearing that some have gotten replacements, so I guess it is time to start calling daily, squeaky wheel and all. Here are a few of the failures:
Failed twice in one video:
Shows what doesn't work:
Some positive news! I went to my local dealer today for an oil change and to inquire about having them review the problems I have been having with the Infotainment System. This is my first time to this dealer with my CTR. Just like the dealer where I bought my car, they told me they could not find any problems but they performed a factory reset in case it would make a difference. They told me they have to observe the problem before they can do anything. Well, on the way home it locked up so I turned around and drove back to the dealer. Before turning off the car, the service tech took a look at it and observed the problems with it. After witnessing its behavior, he initiated a work order to replace the "brain" of the system as the display appeared to be functioning properly.

So, as soon as the repair parts come in, I will schedule the service. I really hope this will put an end to these issues.
Sponsored

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some positive news! I went to my local dealer today for an oil change and to inquire about having them review the problems I have been having with the Infotainment System. This is my first time to this dealer with my CTR. Just like the dealer where I bought my car, they told me they could not find any problems but they performed a factory reset in case it would make a difference. They told me they have to observe the problem before they can do anything. Well, on the way home it locked up so I turned around and drove back to the dealer. Before turning off the car, the service tech took a look at it and observed the problems with it. After witnessing its behavior, he initiated a work order to replace the "brain" of the system as the display appeared to be functioning properly.

So, as soon as the repair parts come in, I will schedule the service. I really hope this will put an end to these issues.
Good work!
My fear is that even with brain head unit replacement, you could experience same issues over time. Most problems relate to connectivity of AA or ACP though so maybe yours is just intermittent and malfunctioning.

Wish you luck and Happy New Year!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag

Def keep us posted! Iā€™ve spoke to a few who have had theirs replaced and it didnā€™t help. But Iā€™m trying to remain positive for you and really hope this does it so I can harass my local dealer when mine locks up again.

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
Def keep us posted! Iā€™ve spoke to a few who have had theirs replaced and it didnā€™t help. But Iā€™m trying to remain positive for you and really hope this does it so I can harass my local dealer when mine locks up again.
I am optimistic that it will fix my particular problem which primarily occurs when a USB memory stick containing mp3 files is plugged in and playing music. I gave my USB memory stick to a friend with a 2020 Civic sedan and he had no problems while using it for a couple weeks. Mine would average a failure about every two hours. I only occasionally use Android Auto and never Apple Carplay, so I don't know about issues with this type of connectivity.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I seriously doubt a replacement head unit with the same crap software is going to fix any problems. Iā€™ve been able to avoid any issues by using a quality cable, and by not connecting the phone until boot up is complete. I also have to disconnect the phone every time I turn the car off, even if just for a few minutes while getting gas. Follow that mantra, and I have no issues to report.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Has anyone noticed but I think whenever my iphone goes into lock-mode if set after a certain amount of time, it loses sync with Apple carplay and the head unit craps-out. ??ā€ā™‚

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have an iPhone 11 Pro...and just upgraded to 15.1.2 iOS. For the past 2-3 days, I've tried everything I could think of to get it to fail...and it hasn't...yet... Previous to this update, if you looked at it sideways, it would fail. I'm hopeful that the issues were resolved - this particular update mentioned CarPlay 'fixes'...so...

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an iPhone 11 Pro...and just upgraded to 15.1.2 iOS. For the past 2-3 days, I've tried everything I could think of to get it to fail...and it hasn't...yet... Previous to this update, if you looked at it sideways, it would fail. I'm hopeful that the issues were resolved - this particular update mentioned CarPlay 'fixes'...so...
Good to hear.

Iā€™m using wireless dongle w/XS Max and about 1x week have to reboot Infotainment as thumb buttons work. No blackouts almost daily though like before wireless.

About to install same iOS as you, note fixes are for 3rd party apps.

Honda Civic 10th gen Infotainment Failure 9CB4B866-0D4A-490E-B953-C1AA4F1B1727

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
About to install same iOS as you, note fixes are for 3rd party apps.
Yeah, I saw that, but I think in doing that, it improved the way the phone does the 'handshake' between it and the car...or...it's the placebo effect... :)

SpoonFK8R

If youā€™re on Android and update to Android 12 LogR fails again. Smdh

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If youā€™re on Android and update to Android 12 LogR fails again. Smdh
My experience with Android has been less stellar and I find that Android, although more customizable than IOS seems to break more often and always gets tweaked on too much by the software developers. My last phone was a Pixel 2XL. Battery life on that phone was terrible even after factory wiping out all data and starting anew. iPhone 11 is probably the best phone I've ever used up to this point.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As I had feared...ugh...I think I poked the bear too many times. ACP was recognized, but wouldn't come up. I even shut the car off and took my phone when I went into a store...came back out - before I even plugged the phone in, the home screen said Apple Car Play - but even after phone was connected - push the ACP button....nothing. Even if this update makes it a little better than it was...I'll be a little happier than I am.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As I had feared...ugh...I think I poked the bear too many times. ACP was recognized, but wouldn't come up. I even shut the car off and took my phone when I went into a store...came back out - before I even plugged the phone in, the home screen said Apple Car Play - but even after phone was connected - push the ACP button....nothing. Even if this update makes it a little better than it was...I'll be a little happier than I am.
That's odd because when the icon says Apple Carplay it usually would work at that time instead of reading Smartphone or whatever text it has and when you press on it you get the dreaded beeps. Does it beep when you press on lower left icon or does it just do nothing at all?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's odd because when the icon says Apple Carplay it usually would work at that time instead of reading Smartphone or whatever text it has and when you press on it you get the dreaded beeps. Does it beep when you press on lower left icon or does it just do nothing at all?
It does nothing at all....