How many will be driving their SI when it snows?

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
We're currently having a massive snow storm in Canada and i just drove my Si through it with no issues at all. Uphill, downhill, highway, stop and go.... it was a hell of a lot better than my 8th gen, that is for sure.

FYI, I'm on 225/45R17 Michelin Xi3's on a set of steelies!
Sponsored

themaincop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan (SOLD), 2021 GTI Autobahn
Country flag
A FWD car on winters will outperform an AWD car with all seasons during a snowstorm. AWD for getting out of a ditch, snow tires for not going in in the first place.

Fosco

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
We're currently having a massive snow storm in Canada and i just drove my Si through it with no issues at all. Uphill, downhill, highway, stop and go.... it was a hell of a lot better than my 8th gen, that is for sure.

Thank You! I saw that this is the Tire Rack recommended combo for our sled and I pulled the trigger after reading your post.
Free mounting/balancing and saving 80 bucks for picking it up at the tire rack warehouse 25 mins away from me sealed the deal. I drove around in the snow tonight, conservatively and my Si kept pulling to the right even under light acceleration. (stock all-seasons)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Got to test her out today. Not as bad as I thought although, I can hear the snow and ice all over the flat bottom of the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen How many will be driving their SI when it snows? IMG_20181115_153004_056

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Mine will be getting all salty also, just bought a set of Blizzaks. 215/45r18 specs show 8” widest wheel for that tire. Which is what I wanted. Skinnier the better in the snow.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Made it through the first storm of the season tonight with no issues. Lots of people stuck (even awd suvs) but i just drove around them. Winter tires really make a difference. I sold my explorer after getting winters for my last civic (16 EXT). My 18 Si with winters didn't disappoint :)

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have my old 2006 lifted Nissan Xterra for the winter, used that today in the snow, but my Si is ready to go in the winter when the roads clear up. Nice to have 2 vehicles

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
just drove through the northeast storm on winter force 2s on 17in steels that I bought on tire rack. it ain't no blizzaks but still plowed through no problem!

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
And dont forget guys the Si comes with an LSD which also help in the snow. Combined with Winter tires, the Si should be very capable in snowy conditions.

07EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag

You must be in Ontario because they are getting hit by a big storm.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Anything more that a foot would be it's limitations,but I can stay home if need be.It's now a case of watch out for the other driver....
I would put good money that the LSD in the Si helps a lot. The traction control and VSA in the regular Civics works well enough to be sure (I had no issues last winter with good winter tires Altimax Arctic 12) but any time there is a more direct physical mitigation of wheel slip, the better it should be.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
The SI performs really well in the snow. 16k on my stock all seasons still no trouble with the 2 inches of show we had yesterday,

demoPEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Ninja 300 SE
Country flag
Since the GTA was hit with a pretty big storm yesterday, I had my first winter driving experience with my Si. It was a 60km commute home on mostly highways in about 4" of very heavy and slushy snow. I am running the OE all season tire setup currently, with about 5k km on my tires. I thought it performed well. The only issue I had was on some very hilly roads. I had to reverse to the bottom to build enough momentum to get up it.

An interesting note, on what I think was the LSD though.
I was driving on the 407, going about 90kph or so, I moved just slightly to the right while in my lane, and my right side tire broke traction and began to spin, I immediately felt the grip from the left hand tire (that was not on the snowy slush) pickup the slack and I felt strong grip and traction from it. It was a very weird sensation, but I can only imagine it was the LSD working. It was remarkably quick as well... rhs brakes traction, lhs immediately starts giving me torquey grip, it felt good. I maintained throttle through the experience.
Had this been in my old car, 2013 Mazda 3 Hatch, when highway driving and when the front tires broke traction, the car would just gradually shift out of the lane until you let go of the gas and fought the steering back into the tire tracks. I'm not sure I anyone else had specifically noticed this, but it was a good feeling seeing the Si behave like this!

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You must be in Ontario because they are getting hit by a big storm.
LOL definitely am and it was a pain to drive through with many people not having their winters on yet!
Sponsored