First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many of thousands is that "S" worth in price over EX-T?
In Canada, it's $3,000. But the Si in Canada is also better equipped than the Si in the US.

But my response was to Gazelle_392, who in the majority of his posts, has complained about the performance of his Sport Touring hatch, and that it's too slow, and needs the Sport button. Getting an Si in Canada is $800-$1,000 less than a Sport Touring hatch.
Sponsored

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
You mean like this? Which you would have gotten if you just bought an Si instead.
IMG_0040.JPG
Si don't have enough equipment to make me happy.... and the engines are basically the same... I am looking in to getting my dashboard flashed to have those gauges and shift lights that Si has. And that ECON button won't work anymore after a install a aftermarket ECU

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In Canada, it's $3,000. But the Si in Canada is also better equipped than the Si in the US.

But my response was to Gazelle_392, who in the majority of his posts, has complained about the performance of his Sport Touring hatch, and that it's too slow, and needs the Sport button. Getting an Si in Canada is $800-$1,000 less than a Sport Touring hatch.
Si has little to no options, no LED headlights, no honda sensing package, no sun roof, no high power speakers.. No reason to get a Si

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
Econ mode is like snapping the balls off a raging bull, a total neuter of the car. I want to use it from time to time but I can’t bring myself to do it. It reminds of what the car would feel like if you ripped the turbo out.....what’s the point in that???

rhraziel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I guess we have very different driving styles. I have the cruise and Econ on almost continuously. Have never experienced any significant speed fluctuation.
For me, it's just too slow to get back up to speed when using cruise in econ mode after the car has to slow down.

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual, 2012 CR-V
Country flag
I've got an EX-T manual; and do like the ECON button for highway cruising only. I don't mind a bit that the speed drops a mile or two or three while going up a hill; it comes back to the set speed soon enough without pinning the gas to the floor.

Around town, of course, ECON feels like you've left the brake on or something. I bought the car because of the manual and the crisp response of the turbocharged engine!

PlayCrackSky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Impreza WRX
Si has little to no options, no honda sensing package,no high power speakers.. No reason to get a Si
So, the Canadian Si has...
no LED headlights
Yes, it does
no honda sensing package
No, it does not have Honda Sensing, that is true
no sun roof
Yes, it does
no high power speakers
Yes, it does
No reason to get a Si
Do you want a sporty Civic with most of the features of the Sport Touring? That is thee reason to get an Si in Canada.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the Canadian Si has...

Yes, it does

No, it does not have Honda Sensing, that is true

Yes, it does

Yes, it does

Do you want a sporty Civic with most of the features of the Sport Touring? That is thee reason to get an Si in Canada.
alright,im going to quote a price on my car and trade for an si couoe then. There is also a company do awd system and full roll cage for si too.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
At least on manual, Econ button dulls the throttle response and decreases effective AC/Climate control.

For me it is unusable in situation where I have to accelerate, overtake or city driving. In fact, in those situations I find Econ dangerous.

The only scenario where Econ works for me is constant speed driving, like highway, country roads, cruise control situations. In those cases, I find the mpg a bit better, however I had no occasion to verify that accurately.
This thread prompted my to try and find out about the mileage thing with the ECON button. Have had my 2017 EXT with MT for 6 months now. I have a really consistent commute of 45 miles each way all on 55mph country roads with almost no traffic. No city driving. I have had cruise and the econ button on all the time. I never use the AC. Just open the windows. For the last few months I have been getting around 52-54 MPG. So my last tank of gas (400miles on the tank) resulted in 52.7MPG (calculated). A few days ago, after that fill I turned off the ECON button. So far after about 150 miles it is looking like there is very little difference in mileage. The biggest difference is with acceleration with cruise on. In the past with ECON on, I would let the cruise accelerate for me. It was slow but acceptable for me... about one MPH per 2 seconds. With the ECON off you feel the acceleration with a gentle push back into the seat and it's fast. Just a few seconds. There was always more than enough power to accelerate to pass even with the ECON button on. But there is certainly more now.
Once I fill up on this tank of gas I'll report back on the calculated MPG.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread prompted my to try and find out about the mileage thing with the ECON button. Have had my 2017 EXT with MT for 6 months now. I have a really consistent commute of 45 miles each way all on 55mph country roads with almost no traffic. No city driving. I have had cruise and the econ button on all the time. I never use the AC. Just open the windows. For the last few months I have been getting around 52-54 MPG. So my last tank of gas (400miles on the tank) resulted in 52.7MPG (calculated). A few days ago, after that fill I turned off the ECON button. So far after about 150 miles it is looking like there is very little difference in mileage. The biggest difference is with acceleration with cruise on. In the past with ECON on, I would let the cruise accelerate for me. It was slow but acceptable for me... about one MPH per 2 seconds. With the ECON off you feel the acceleration with a gentle push back into the seat and it's fast. Just a few seconds. There was always more than enough power to accelerate to pass even with the ECON button on. But there is certainly more now.
Once I fill up on this tank of gas I'll report back on the calculated MPG.
Just hit the 400mile mark on this tank. Filled up at the same station/same pump and ended up getting 52.9MPG (calculated) and the ECON button was never on. So 52.7 with econ on and 52.9 with econ off. Pretty much the same. Both tests were essentially identical with driving conditions. The same old boring commute with little or no traffic, no city driving and no interstates. But I will say there was a HUGE difference in driving "experience". I never realized how responsive the acceleration would be in this EXT and the econ button off. I certainly do not have a lead foot when it comes to accelerating but I might change some now... Anyway, I see no reason for me to use the ECON button at this point. Maybe in a few months I'll test this again.

Callou2131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HRV EX, 2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thanks for posting that. I also have a long straight drive of about 35 miles each way daily with no stops. Usually I start out not in eco when getting on the highway, then turn it on once up to speed. Guess I will stop bothering with it now.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely see a difference with ECON on. Especially when I'm using A/C. Probably 3-4 MPG more on my work commute with ECON on versus off.

SportTouren

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
I should probably see what taking off Econ mode is all about, but I've left it on as I'm still "breaking in" the car. Picked it up with only 50 miles on it so I've somehow managed to stay pretty tame so far.

van604

2016 Civic Touring
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronaldleestudios.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
My touring 1.5L turbo has S sport mode :)

I did think that econ mode was a good ideally initially but it really does just dull the initial power/accerlation to the point when I need to press on the gas more. I think I'll stick to normal mode UNLESS I'm on the highway, then I can see where econ mode is good for long drives.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My touring 1.5L turbo has S sport mode :)

I did think that econ mode was a good ideally initially but it really does just dull the initial power/accerlation to the point when I need to press on the gas more. I think I'll stick to normal mode UNLESS I'm on the highway, then I can see where econ mode is good for long drives.
Per my experience stated a bit earlier, I'm not sure that econ mode will have any effect on cruising unless there is lots of acceleration during the trip (up hills). Over both 400mile tests MPG were the same. It seems to me the only effect of the econ mode was on acceleration characteristics. If that is true, then I think the reason I didn't see any difference in mileage was because my "usual" acceleration pretty much mimics acceleration with ECON on. Can't speak to AC use as I don't use my AC.
Sponsored