Sticky button cleaning tips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
The Econ button on my center console is sticky, like someone spilled soda on it. It’s worse when it’s cold, sometimes I have to push it really hard to get it to move at all.

As a consequence I don’t use Econ because I don’t want the button to get stuck in the on position. But I’ve hit the max mileage I can get without Econ, I think (about 40.8mpg average) and want to get as much as I can.

My question is this: what’s the best way to clean that button? Can I just pour a little rubbing alcohol down there since it’ll evaporate without corroding and should clear up the sticky? I don’t want to have to try to remove the button if I don’t have to.

Picture attached so you can see the button I’m talking about. It’s the green button on the bottom right (obviously).

Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips CAA9E37A-5021-4D9E-BCC0-B609E4E414E6
Sponsored

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
You can take apart the whole panel and pop out the buttons and clean them it will be the most effective way

panas

First Name
Panos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2019 sedan, non-Si
Country flag
I agree, best and safest way to clean that is to take off the plastic cover and then the button. It is easy and I've done it when i installed some acuity parts on mine. Watch the first steps on this
and I think you won't even need to take off your knob to take the button out. Just lift it up and take the button off to clean it.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I guess ill give you a write up
Step 1 remove side armrest pieces held in by 4 clips just pull it off with trim removal tool
Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips C4A35C45-F771-423B-98AC-2029669E0594

step 2 remove side head unit trim pieces held on by 4 clips work from bottom to top the last clip might be harder just keep pulling and wiggling
Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips DBEC5A1D-AA4F-4D59-BFF0-7BCC860811FE

step 3 remove phillips screws on each side of the panel i think theres 4 in total

step 4 remove shift knob
Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips 4E823C0D-5B9C-48DF-8820-907549CCC9EE

step 5 remove shifter bezel panel
pull up the panel it is held down with the same white clips as the other trim pieces i found it easier to poke them with a flathead as you add pressure by pulling up and it pops right out, the shifter control panel has the same white clips except they are red so theres 4 white clips and 4 red clips then Start unplugging wire harnesses for econ, brake hold, parking brake and fully remove panel and boot cover.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips 1B7C6D43-BF69-4BE0-82CE-0AE6AF3B068A
Honda Civic 10th gen Sticky button cleaning tips 867BBDFB-1578-4EB3-97B0-C0BB6C2FE3EB

Sidenote you might need to shift into drive or neutral to fully remove it.
And then you can continue to remove screws that attach the parts together and disassemble the buttons and whatnot.
Tools needed:
Trim removal tool (cloth to cover damages)
Phillips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver (makes it way easier for those white and red tabs)
And whatever you need for your shift knob