Since '84 CRX, Civic Wagon, Accord, CRV & Civic
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
How often do you guys use it? Is it ok to leave on all the time?

(I know to turn it off when I want “fun”, just saying for daily use - is it bad for the car/transmission?
I had the ECO mode on for the first 7k mileage on my LX CVT Hatch but for the last 1.5k I turned it off because, among other things, it seemed to rob any pick-up-and-go from my drive. Funny thing is that my average mpg has stayed about the same but it has much more pick-up-and-go, Doesn't seem to matter whether I am driving streets or highways.
Sponsored

PGean

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic ST, 2015 X5, 2009 MDX
Country flag
I'm almost done my first full tank in ECO and I'm getting about the same MPG. I'll probably fill up Thursday and will leave it on ECO again and see if it's better. So far it's been 3 fill ups using D mode and almost 1 on ECO mode.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I only use econ mode when it snows and I don't want to keep spinning tires....ohh and also when I have my arm resting on the center console and accidentally hit the button...I get about 36mpg in my city driving to work and about 46-48mpg on the highway....more than thrilled with that!

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
I never use mine even on my move to Kansas City from Connecticut and I really believe the economy would not be any different if I did use it on that trip.

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I turned mine off and notice a huge difference day to day without burning up much (any?) extra gas

I’ll probably only use it on a “road trip” from now on ... I rarely drive when there’s a little stop n go

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
By “huge difference” I mean way more fun / better pick up

I may take it on a road trip to go snowboarding - then maybe I’ll use the ECO

day to day driving, ECO doesn’t seem to over much of an advantage - and definitely killed the appeal of driving the Sport

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i turned my eco off for 2 tanks now and im getting 28 MPG in my hatchback sport with it on i was getting about 33MPG

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I'm getting right at 35 city in my 6MT with econ OFF, but this is the result of intentionally driving in ways to achieve this - ie. very ginger gas with aggressive up shifting with no AC (it's nice and cool in Florida right now).

If I drive the car "normally", I get around 28/29 MPG.

Reactions: sef

raptureboi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-THS
Country flag
I definitely get better mileage with it off. Sometimes I bump the button when reaching and can't figure out where the power went for a few moments. It helps them get their fuel economy numbers, but in practice its useless.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
I turn my econ mode on if my 2 year old boy is in the back. He's less likely to throw up, seriously (I drive stick lol).

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Do all other Civic models have this feature? What changes does it make to the vehicle? The Type R doesn’t have it.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Do all other Civic models have this feature? What changes does it make to the vehicle? The Type R doesn’t have it.
it reduces AC compressor output,
( it is a variable output, not same as cycling on-off) meaning less power is robbed from the engine. turn vent fan speed down.
It mellows out cruise control sensitivity- it does not try to keep your set speed on up hills, as much.
it remaps throttle pedal sensitivity
CVT- changes transmission shift pattern - keeps engine RPM in lower range as it moves CVT ratio up sooner.

The Econ button only works if you are mindful that it is meant to be used when you are not in hurry to race tot he next red light.
You still have the same engine output available, you just end up pushing the throttle more.

I use Eco when I am not in the hurry, my drive is 80% hwy.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eco mode turns my grin into a frown, so I keep it off. And my mpg is still 34+ so I'm not complaining
Sponsored