FK8 TYPE R SUGGESTED BRAND OIL TO USE

TypeR604

I choose to live by choice not by chance.
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 Type R
Country flag
What's up fam?

Just kinda been curious about what kind of brand should I use to replace my engine oil on my R what do you guys would suggest? I don't track my car but I daily drive it, sure I have my moments driving aggressively I usually tend to not put a lot of stress on the engine sometimes you can't just help it specially if you know what's capable of doing. Anyways I just want to get some more inputs about what kind of synthetic oil brand would you recommend? Do you need to change the engine oil on winter and summer? I was thinking maybe run 0-20w oil in winter, and 5-30w in summer?
Sponsored

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I have been using Mobil 1 fully synthetic and my car performs perfectly fine. You can also use Motul 300V or Amsoil but you would have to order those online and many stores don’t store them in stock. Also, I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles on all my cars.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
AMSOil Signature Series, Motul 300V, or Mobil 1 should all be good. 3000 mile changes using Purolator Boss filter.

FK8RVA

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR #23289
Country flag
What's up fam?

Just kinda been curious about what kind of brand should I use to replace my engine oil on my R what do you guys would suggest? I don't track my car but I daily drive it, sure I have my moments driving aggressively I usually tend to not put a lot of stress on the engine sometimes you can't just help it specially if you know what's capable of doing. Anyways I just want to get some more inputs about what kind of synthetic oil brand would you recommend? Do you need to change the engine oil on winter and summer? I was thinking maybe run 0-20w oil in winter, and 5-30w in summer?

I have ran Amsoil Signature since the first 1000 miles, great oil. Find a local rep and work out a deal - I get 2 gallons of oil and filter for a Benjamin.

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/auto-...2-0l-4-cyl-engine-code-k20c2-7/metric-volume/

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Motus for me. You don’t need 5w30 in Vancouver as it doesn’t get all that hot in the summer. I do because my CTR is in Greece where it gets up to 40C.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Motus for me. You don’t need 5w30 in Vancouver as it doesn’t get all that hot in the summer. I do because my CTR is in Greece where it gets up to 40C.
Honda recommends 0-20W for all temperature conditions. The oil thickens as the temperature goes up. All of the civics that I have owned have used 0-20 and I live in Tucson AZ where it is really hot in summer. My cars have been driven more than 200K miles with no issues or burning oil. Compression on my first Civic was in spec after 220,000K miles. Mobil 1 works fine for me and I change oil at 15% service life. I have not tracked my car and if I did I would add a oil temp and pressure gauge. Then I might consider a thicker oil depending on the values.

Hal

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Why would you use 5w30 in a car that specifies (and has bearings and an oiling system designed) for 0w20? You're both increasing start-up wear AND in-service wear. Unless you are tracking the car, that isn't necessary, and even if you are tracking, more frequent oil changes would make more sense than running an overweight oil.

Outside air temperature does not affect the hot viscosity of oil you select, only cold viscosity.

I have been using Mobil 1 fully synthetic and my car performs perfectly fine. You can also use Motul 300V or Amsoil but you would have to order those online and many stores don’t store them in stock. Also, I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles on all my cars.
Just wasting money/oil. Unless you are heavily tracking, a longer interval is fine. Modern oil additive packs/detergents last a lot longer than the 3,000 miles that conventional oils used to.

Last edited:

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I use 0W-20 Mobil 1 with Honda 15400-PLM-A01 oil filters. Change the oil when the minder suggests it which is usually 6-7000 miles on average according to most people I know.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 TYPE R SUGGESTED BRAND OIL TO USE 21EDCAEC-30F5-431A-93E1-25CA6A612C1C

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Owner manual specifies up to 5w-30 (overseas market)
Why would you use 5w30 in a car that specifies (and has bearings and an oiling system designed) for 0w20? You're both increasing start-up wear AND in-service wear. Unless you are tracking the car, that isn't necessary, and even if you are tracking, more frequent oil changes would make more sense than running an overweight oil.

Outside air temperature does not affect the hot viscosity of oil you select, only cold viscosity.

Just wasting money/oil. Unless you are heavily tracking, a longer interval is fine. Modern oil additive packs/detergents last a lot longer than the 3,000 miles that conventional oils used to.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Mobil 1 0w-20 here, whatever filter is on sale (got a Mobil 1 filter on now, i'll typically buy Wix), changed when the computer says which for me has been around 8k. Shared commuter with my bicycle.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The European owners manual doesn’t limit the choice to 0W20. As a matter of fact, it clearly states that only Honda Type 2 0W20 should be used in the CTR, not the same stuff used in most other recent Honda’s. And 0W30 or 5W30 is clearly listed as an acceptable option (I can send you a pic of the page ). As I said, I would not recommend my choice for the OP in Vancouver. But, in my climate, I’m very comfortable with my choice.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
As I said, I would not recommend my choice for the OP in Vancouver. But, in my climate, I’m very comfortable with my choice.
Again, how warm your climate gets should not affect your oil weight choice in terms of hot viscosity (2nd number). The only thing that matters is how cold it gets.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, how warm your climate gets should not affect your oil weight choice in terms of hot viscosity (2nd number). The only thing that matters is how cold it gets.
...and, again, my owner’s manual includes what I said as a choice of viscosity. And I disagree with your comment of heat not mattering. I won’t get into arguing why. Go to bobtheoilguy’s website and argue away to your heart’s content.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
...and, again, my owner’s manual includes what I said as a choice of viscosity. And I disagree with your comment of heat not mattering. I won’t get into arguing why. Go to bobtheoilguy’s website and argue away to your heart’s content.
Yes, the foreign manual allows 5w30, we are not in disagreement about that at this point.

Operating temperature of oil in an engine with a properly maintained cooling system is in the 100-120C range regardless of whether it's 20C or 40C outside. There is no need to run a heavier hot viscosity oil just because it's warm outside. It does not confer any protection advantage in normal use, and in fact probably will cause more wear, especially if you run something drastic like 20w50 or 10w60.

The belief that you should run heavier weight oil in the summer is a false one left over from the days of straight weight conventional oils. Because you could only pick a single viscosity in those days, people would run 5-10 weight oils in the winter which did not protect very well at operating temperature, but the oil pump would seize and bearings would be wholly unprotected if 30-40 weight was used in cold temps. Once temperatures began to rise, the 5-10 weight oil was swapped out for a 30-40 weight which gave better hot protection (and the oil pump could actually move it because the engine was warmer at start-up).

Like I said previously, if you are tracking the car, I can see running a higher weight oil since you may see higher temps and more viscosity could help protect the engine, but in normal use, temperature simply does not matter with modern multiweight oils.

Last edited:

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
Honda does approve the use of 5w30 in the Type R and it won't hurt it. I've been running Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic and will most likely switch to Mobil 1 5w30 in the summer. I always use OEM filter.
Sponsored