MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Surprisingly I didn't find any threads on this, please point me if you know of any...

Soon, I will be doing my first oil change and would like to know brand/type suggestions. I'm stock, track 1-2 days per month, and have been doing about 5k miles/year, ambient temps where I live range from 45-115F. On the track LogR has indicated oil temps as high as 262F before I backed off to let it cool. I'd like to be able to run hotter if needed. So, what do folks suggest that is good for daily with regular track use?
Sponsored

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
As long as the engine is stock, I would use the 0W20 genuine Honda oil, especially when the engine is still new.
An engine oil cooler kit will be great to reduce the oil temperature when you are on track.
A good alternative could be the Motul 300V High RPM 0W20 engine oil too.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Engine Oil Recommendations, Daily & Track Use 47B2E9F3-4B06-4672-93C4-81E2C7CF603F

Last edited:

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
usually is better to stay with 0w-20, you can get the premium ones for frequent change. 300v is like about 1000-1500 miles ish, so unless you do track really often and change oil right after.

other option is use a thicker oil like 0w-30, or 5w-30 or even 0w-40. They will help you to get a bit more heat range. but the downside is they will make you have less mpg. I have 5w-30 for track and switch to 0w-20 on daily since I'm not often on track. no issue at all so far, about 2 track days over a year.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Any of the premium oils on the market. I prefer amsoil but would also consider motul. And always stock weight until I go drop in turbo then I will step up a weight.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Motul 300v 0w-20 and install a quality oil cooler /end thread.

I’ve got several UOAs with 300v with roughly 6k-8k miles between changes without issue. This is street and hard track miles

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Why such low mileage on a premium oil?

UOA stands for? (Sorry for my ignorance.)
It’s not low mileage.. not sure where that guy got that info. UOA is used oil analysis. It’s where they check the oil for engine wear and oil life

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
It’s not low mileage.. not sure where that guy got that info. UOA is used oil analysis. It’s where they check the oil for engine wear and oil life
Thanks. Ordered a Blackstone kit. 30 dollars seems like a good investment to figure out what the car and oil is really like.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I would definitely not rely on the LogR oil temp guestimation. There is no factory oil temp sensor and that reading can be way off depending in conditions. You really need to install a sensor and monitor actual oil temp.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I would definitely not rely on the LogR oil temp guestimation. There is no factory oil temp sensor and that reading can be way off depending in conditions. You really need to install a sensor and monitor actual oil temp.
Has anyone actually done this? Compare the LogR reading (based on pressure and some other factors) to that of a true temp sensor? I know a lot of people have doubts, but you’d be surprised what kind of data can be extracted within a margin of error based on other sensors and other pieces of data. I’d argue that Honda probably has done their own testing to make sure that temp gauge is accurate enough despite it being a computed value based off of other factors (pressure, OE oil properties, engine temp, etc.).

Edit: if you change the oil to a non-OE oil, then yes, I’ll agree that temp gauge will become irrelevant on the LogR app.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Like @tinyman392, what's this skepticism based on? Any actual data, or even scientifically proven theory to indicate why the LogR value might be wrong?

Do you know that prior to GPS, airplanes calculated airspeed using a static pressure gage called a pitot tube? Assuming the pitot tube is correctly placed, it provides very accurate measurements. One might ask, how do you calculate airspeed based upon static pressure? Fluid dynamics, just like oil temperature, if you know the physics, all you need is one measurement to derive other values.

TheSt|G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R, '19 TRD OR, '05 M3
Country flag
usually is better to stay with 0w-20, you can get the premium ones for frequent change. 300v is like about 1000-1500 miles ish, so unless you do track really often and change oil right after.

other option is use a thicker oil like 0w-30, or 5w-30 or even 0w-40. They will help you to get a bit more heat range. but the downside is they will make you have less mpg. I have 5w-30 for track and switch to 0w-20 on daily since I'm not often on track. no issue at all so far, about 2 track days over a year.
Thicker oil is worse for heat, not better.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
For track use using a thicker oil can be beneficial as they don't thin out as much in high heat. Though I think the testing @Vincent@27WON did showed that unless you're pushing high power it may not be necessary.
You only want to move up in oil weight if you’re using really low quality oil and if you have oil pressure problems
Sponsored