Type R FK8 metal in oil

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
No it’s not.
Not for me either, so I'm not sure why people keep repeating the necessity for pre purchase inspection in this case. It wouldn't have been caught anyway. The most they would do in the inspection is check the dipstick..
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Glad Honda is involved. I know you said it’s all stock. Do you think there’s any chance it was modded before and then returned to stock? Just wondering as they are requesting info from the ECU. Not saying if it was modded they are going to use that against you but they could theoretically. This is just a weird situation all together.
Ya possibly, the dealer would not give me any information on the previous owner. They said it was some privacy policy wouldn’t allow them to give the info out. I don’t know how true that is. It could be tuned but I don’t know how to tell if it is. The Honda dealer said they can’t tell, but said they scanned the ECU and found no record of any tolerances being exceeded.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
if it was flashed or modded prior then i would look through my purchase agreement on where they verified the ecu was never flashed prior to the sale etc (surprise it doesnt)

Just as honda gets petty with the service /mod history , you should also since they dont disclose that.

i know that no dealer or company is gonna check every single trade in, or bolt or washer in a car to make sure it was ever modded... but knowing they dont use that to your advantage ?
The car has no aftermarket parts. That would increase my chances of it not being tuned I would hope. It’s even got the stock air intake filter.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The privacy thing sounds reasonable. That's something for the dealer to go after the previous owner if they want to. Your troubles are with the dealer and not the previous owner.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
What makes you say that? Has this happened to another car with a bad tune?
Bad tunes cause Knock which wears down pistons and rods the metal shavings end up on your oil.

The car having stock parts mean nothing....they can revert the car to stock before they sell it to the dealer.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I have this impression some people think the OP's oil was chemically analyzed in some sort of a lab.
I understand they just found big visible metal shavings/grains in the oil.
Sure - but once you find metal, there's an easy protocol to follow:

Is it magnetic? Is it copper? When you cut the oil filter - what'd that look like?

Then, you should take a sample and send it off while also dropping the pan and checking the mains and rod bearings.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Bad tunes cause Knock which wears down pistons and rods the metal shavings end up on your oil.

The car having stock parts mean nothing....they can revert the car to stock before they sell it to the dealer.
"Piston wear" is not a common thing. Detonation usually puts a hole in a piston/crushes the ring lands or will explode the wrist pin.

Metal in oil could be any number of things - Rod/main bearings, wrist pin, or top end lube.

ken_414

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK8 MY19
Country flag
Time is of essence in your case. I would recommend you to go get a thorough oil analysis and a comprehensive mechanical report from a highly qualified mechanical company (Such as RAA/RACQ in Australia) ASAP so that you know the exact condition of your engine and find out whether the metal piece you found in the oil was due to excessive wear and tear within the engine compartment. I don't think the statement you got from the dealership, no metal was found in the oil during the pre-delivery service, was valid at all. As other people have said before, I highly doubt that they have examined the oil because it is not a common procedure for them to do so unless they knew something was wrong with the engine. You can ask for a procedural manual from the Honda service centre to see what sort of mechanical work they do before they deliver the car to you. You have to act quick because the longer you wait, the harder it gets to return the car. Fingers crossed for you and hope you have this issue fixed ASAP man.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Honda called me back and said that the ECU is stock and has not been tuned. Honda engineering is looking over my case and should have an answer for me in the next couple days. So at this point how can Honda turn it away and not cover it under warranty? Anyone got any guesses.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Honda called me back and said that the ECU is stock and has not been tuned. Honda engineering is looking over my case and should have an answer for me in the next couple days. So at this point how can Honda turn it away and not cover it under warranty? Anyone got any guesses.
They cant ....they are locked dead to rights to fix your car under warranty!!

That's good news man you can relax they cannot turn down the fix now. It's on them

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Sounds like you're getting a new engine.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Sorry you had to go through this ordeal. Who knows what sorts of modifications and/or "enhancements" the previous owner may have did which probably led him to sell the car and keep the issues under wraps. Almost every car that I bought 2nd-hand had some sort of issues involved with the car and the only person I could ever trust in buying a 2nd-hand used car would be a nice, original owner, old lady down the street whom as we can all know that they probably drive the car once a week and only put less than 100 miles on the car every month. The Sunday-driver type that garages their baby.

Other than that, if the previous owner could provide me all the service records (if it was a private sale) then I would feel more comfortable with the purchase. This being a purchase from a dealership, one would be more assured that it would be a reliable purchase, but as someone pointed out, many of these dealership avoid doing any sort of maintenance on the vehicle prior to reselling it. Glad it's still under warranty and time is of the essence. I hope they give you a new engine to start the miles over at 0.

OP
OP

Sweber104

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
Ok Honda just called me and said they are going to replace the entire engine and the turbo! Thank god they are covering this. I was going to be devastated if they said they are not going to fix it. I have learned a lot about my first car purchase from a dealer and how scummy Walser dealerships are in MN. I just can’t believe dealerships can sell a car that is almost not drivable and then tell me that they can’t take it back after driving it 100 miles. I hope no one has to go through what I just went through. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll be enjoying my type r very soon!
Sponsored