Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Surprisingly I didn't find any threads on this, please point me if you know of any...

Soon, I will be doing my first oil change and would like to know brand/type suggestions. I'm stock, track 1-2 days per month, and have been doing about 5k miles/year, ambient temps where I live range from 45-115F. On the track LogR has indicated oil temps as high as 262F before I backed off to let it cool. I'd like to be able to run hotter if needed. So, what do folks suggest that is good for daily with regular track use?
You may find this useful.
https://www.27won.com/blog/the-great-oil-debate-civicx
Sponsored

TheSt|G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R, '19 TRD OR, '05 M3
Country flag
For track use using a thicker oil can be beneficial as they don't thin out as much in high heat. Though I think the testing @Vincent@27WON did showed that unless you're pushing high power it may not be necessary.
I said nothing about thinness or impact protection. I said thicker oils are worse for heat management.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
To add to the question, does API certification matter? Might it impact warranty? What about quality or consistency?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
To add to the question, does API certification matter? Might it impact warranty? What about quality or consistency?
From here:

Recommended Oil

Oil is a major contributor to your engineā€™s performance and longevity. Always use a premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Instituteā€™s latest requirements.

Honda Motor Oil is the preferred 0W-20 lubricant for your vehicle. It is highly recommended that you use Honda Motor Oil in your vehicle for optimum engine protection.
So to Honda, yes certification does matter.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Dealer has a great price up here in canada for full synthetic + oem filter + labor. I just do that every 10,000 km.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Does anybody have input on how regular Eneos Fully synthetic compares with mobil 1 and other conventional oils? Thanks

donutroidz

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Scary to run 0w20 for track use. Especially the Temps that it reaches. Its like water.

I mean, I'm running 5w30 for track and daily use. But I live in Cali and it's fairly warm often.

Fester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2019 G63, 2013 C4S, 2013 BRZ
Country flag
My first post. Got ā€˜21 type R a Couple of weeks ago and now has around 900 miles, so broken in. Bought Mobil 1 0w-20 per recommendations to get the customary oil change after break in. Wonā€™t be tracking it, yet but may be in May/June. Is this a good oil to get or should I return it and get some other synthetic brand?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Scary to run 0w20 for track use. Especially the Temps that it reaches. Its like water.

I mean, I'm running 5w30 for track and daily use. But I live in Cali and it's fairly warm often.
Not saying youre wrong, but do you have any information to support this? Genuinely interested in learning more about the topic.

I felt like I read somewhere that Stig and some other frequent track junkies were on 0W20. I know this has been a pretty debated topic on the forum.

Edit: In the thread I linked below, Stig did say he had 22 track days on 0w20.

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag