What grade oil to use for Track use

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
not 100% sure how relevant that link s

It sounds generalized to me, otherwise I feel like data wouldve been supplied.

Reading the article I want to know

1. For point 1, is this remedied if you have dual catch cans or, are changing oil at shorter intervals?
2. for point 2, what if you have an oil cooer? is this still relevant?
3. for point 3, what if youre not racing in california lol
These are great observations and good critical thinking in my opinion.

Consequently, articles like that, are why I don't feel like doing out all the calculations. I'll spend all this time writing out all these equations, explaining theory, then doing the calculations. Then someone will comment, "I saw this video/article and I'm going with 20W-50".

Frankly, it's sounds like advice somebody at AutoZone would give. So much of the advise in there is utter garbage and paranoia I don't even know where to start.

1. The API SN+ and SP standards (and GF-6) have testing for ethanol blends and fuel dilution.

2. The oil in the crank (and its bearings) are constantly being pushed out. That's how hydrodynamic bearings work. By this logic we should all be running gear oil in our engines.

3. Yes, viscosity does decrease with temperature. Consequently, the flow will increase, which will increasing cooling in the bearings. As I mentioned in another post (with rough calculations), increasing viscosity will result in higher temperature rise in the bearings compared to 0W-20.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
These are great observations and good critical thinking in my opinion.

Frankly, it's sounds like advice somebody at AutoZone would give. So much of the advise in there is utter garbage and paranoia I don't even know where to start.
This is kind of what I was thinking. This ties in with my other post about effectiveness of oil coolers. I am sure they do cool the oil somewhat and add in some total cooling (although they never seem to be situated in a great place to do that) but without knowing what is "too hot" and knowing how much they cool the oil, it is a bit of a crap shoot. Certainly LogR will not be overly helpful as it doesn't measure real oil temps.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Certainly LogR will not be overly helpful as it doesn't measure real oil temps.
This is why when an oil cooler goes in my car, so does an external oil temp and pressure gauge haha
Sponsored