Is it safe to use 5-40w oil on FK8 Type R?

SpoolinFK8

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for checking and the info. But yeah that is what we first did is ask the builder of the specs for clearances and it was done over winter and didn’t pick it up til early summer, so along that time he lost the written down specs of the clearances, so now we are trying different oils, but like I said it shouldn’t be too crazy since we only get low oil reading at idle and only after engine has gotten to operating temp and thins out.

will report back and see how it reads with a thicker viscosity oil.
You can try 0W-30 or 0W-40 and see if the pressure comes back up at idle. Or even 5W-20. Could be that the oil is too thick for the built block and might have tight walls. At least until the engine breaks in probably, then you can try going up to thicker oils. Just my two sense. Ideally the engine builder is the ideal person to speak to, but you mentioned he lost the spec sheet.
Sponsored

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
You can try 0W-30 or 0W-40 and see if the pressure comes back up at idle. Or even 5W-20. Could be that the oil is too thick for the built block and might have tight walls. At least until the engine breaks in probably, then you can try going up to thicker oils. Just my two sense. Ideally the engine builder is the ideal person to speak to, but you mentioned he lost the spec sheet.
We figured out the issue, it was as suspected, the reverse effect the oil wasn’t thick enough for my build (keep in mind it is a built motor which can handle close to 800whp, although I won’t be making anywhere near there with my current turbo and fuel setup which I am ok with).

I changed it to 10W-40 and now I have ideal oil pressure in throughout the range and at idle as well. I could ideally go thicker but going to do datalogs to send to tuner and see how it is looking at WoT and in the upper rpm range.

Thanks all for the feedback on everyone’s personal engine/builds.