Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
The stock oil recommended by Honda is 0W-20 but I know not everyone uses that for track use. I also know that the car does not have an oil temp sensor and deduces oil temps from ECT and oil pressure and possibly other things.

According to LogR, my oil can get to 273F with an ECT of 227 with a significant loss of power. My sources at Mobil 1 insist that their oil (and I would assume many others) are fine with those temps and don't lose effectiveness. Interestingly ( I am using Motul 300V 0W-20 now) and if anything the oil temps seem a bit higher than when running the OEM Honda fill. Pressure did not seem to be an issue and I don't have an oil cooler......yet.

A higher viscosity oil might fool the ECU into thinking the oil temp was lower due to a bit higher pressure when hot but not sure if this would make any difference power wise.

Also, when I hear of people running 5W-30 or even 5W-40, they all mention that the car gets lower mileage which I would take to be due to a drop in power, more internal friction and quite possibly higher oil temps (even though the ECU would not recognize this). I have also heard that in Japan, Honda suggests 5W-30 rather than the 0W-20 for North America yet a higher viscosity oil at lower temps may be the price to pay for maintaining pressure at higher temps even though the higher viscosity is likely contributing to more friction and higher temps in itself.

So what viscosity oil do you use for track use? Don't care about mileage although I would be interested if higher viscosity oils cut down on power.
Sponsored

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Stock engine is fine to use 0W-20 on track, I just change it very often especially I saw it reached 250 or the oil pressure drop a significant amount when full throttle. (the benefit of have a actual oil temp & pressure sensor installed).

Tried with 300V before and it definitely feels it takes longer to heat up and the viscosity is actually higher than 0W-20 on a cold start.
Again, no harm to use something like a 300V when tracking.

On to other grade oil, I do find it does reduce the power output a bit ( after switched from 5W-30 to 0W-20). I don't really have any problem using it on track, no overheating at 92F ambient at Big Willow. (oil temp reaches up to 238)

You will be fine to just stick with 0W-20 even with FBO.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
waiting for @Lust to drop his knowledge on this. But from my understanding, a track grade 0W20 like Motul is just fine..

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
The FK8 manual for Japan (attached) recommends both 0W-20 and 5W-30. "Commercially available engine oil depends on the outside temperature. Please use the one with viscosity based on the table.". Then it recommends both for the whole temperature range.

Then it recommends "Honda 0W-20 for best fuel economy".

You cannot go wrong with an extremely high quality 0W-20 like 300V for the track. Even if it did/could sheer, the ample Molybdenum would take up that stress and help things glide. @Lust has already shown 0W-20 works on the track.

I've been meaning to do out all the calculations for lubrication of crank bearings so people can see the science and what the real limitations are.

Attachments

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
0W-20 Amsoil Signature. But no data to support how well it does or doesn't do. Wouls love actual data or theoretical analysis if any had or knew how to do...

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I certainly understand the mileage issue and why we seem to be putting water into our engines with 0W weight oils. I, too, would have thought really high quality oils would still provide enough bearing protection that even at high temps, you should be ok but I have to admit, I have no idea if the Honda engineers were thinking of running the oil at track type temps. OTOH, increasing viscosity could be exactly the wrong thing to do as it may increase temps even more.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I could be completely wrong, but switching to a thicker grade of oil might be nice in the event your oil shears, but the tradeoff is increasing friction within the motor = higher temps and thicker oil may not lubricate all of the nook and crannies as well as 0W20 can.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Anything will be fine. Motul and amsoil get all the attention for their advertising but I’ve tracked my 2017 on OEM Honda oil, motul, amsoil, Mobil 1 etc. it doesn’t matter stop overthinking it and just send it.

I had about 20 track days on that car and never burned oil or had any issues (other than the fact this car loves to overheat) but no grade or brand of oil is going to stop that.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Here is a simplified explanation in regards to oil weight.

0w-20 for maximum efficiency and overall lower oil temperatures.

They key is to use a quality 0w-20 for track use in order to prevent oil sheer. Oil sheer occurs under high pressure or temperature and turns that 0w-20 to a 0w-5 (making up numbers). Essentially it thins out.

Oil pressure is equally as important as oil temperature. Increasing the viscosity will help increase oil pressure at the cost of increased friction / heat.

Everyone will shill their favorite oil brand or tell you it won’t matter. Well everything matters otherwise we wouldn’t be modding our cars for marginal performance increases. And if all oil is the same, tell that to the engineers in F1.

Point is to stick to a high quality 0w-20 unless oil pressure becomes a problem. If you’re driving to get groceries and do no hard driving, then sure I guess all oil is the same. I vouch for Motul 300v because you can find all of the technical data and everything has been verified with my own used oil analysis.

I hope this is the last time for a while this question gets asked lol.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Are the recommended oil weights data based or just a general idea? Anyone tear down an engine that was tracked with 0W-20 oil compared to one with 5W-30? Also does anyone have an idea of what is the highest oil temp the engine should see? As Lust has mentioned, low ECT and hot oil is good but what is too hot oil?
Any temp Above 255 I would change the oil after. 27Won is pretty general on the oil suggestion. Mainly if you don't have more than 500 hp, using Flex fuel, or only tracking the car the whole time, you should stay with 0W-20. If you did all of the above, I remember they suggest to run things like 0W-30 or 5W-30.

Again, I would not worry too much using 0W-20 only unless you only tracking.

If you still worry, try to send the oil to analysis and those organization will tell you exactly how it works.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
not 100% sure how relevant that link s
Are the recommended oil weights data based or just a general idea? Anyone tear down an engine that was tracked with 0W-20 oil compared to one with 5W-30? Also does anyone have an idea of what is the highest oil temp the engine should see? As Lust has mentioned, low ECT and hot oil is good but what is too hot oil?
It sounds generalized to me, otherwise I feel like data wouldve been supplied.

Reading the article I want to know

1. For point 1, is this remedied if you have dual catch cans or, are changing oil at shorter intervals?
2. for point 2, what if you have an oil cooer? is this still relevant?
3. for point 3, what if youre not racing in california lol
Sponsored