First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I been trouble shooting my own car. as far as i can tell my car is front end problems. I had a poor alignment and believe my sway bar bushings and links suffered as well as the axles and wheel bearings. if i can ever get them to replace a few parts ill know for sure. if you notice trouble steering as if the steering is loose feeling and sounds rattly in the front with a odd dragging sensation let me know i want to get a few comparisons.

jord31

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si HFP 2018
Country flag
I have the same issue. My dealer will change the rear suspension, but it is Back order + I know from what i have read that it is not going to change anything. So , today i decided to write to Honda Canada for this problem. I am waiting for their reply. I will let you know guys. I have not read anything positive for a solution either on this forum on somewhere else. Thanks

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same issue. My dealer will change the rear suspension, but it is Back order + I know from what i have read that it is not going to change anything. So , today i decided to write to Honda Canada for this problem. I am waiting for their reply. I will let you know guys. I have not read anything positive for a solution either on this forum on somewhere else. Thanks
I'm curious to know what dealership you go to since you are in Montreal?
I got the TSB done last year which did not fix the problem and this year I brought it up again at the same dealership and he said it's "normal" and that all Civic's do it...

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Now that the temperature where I live has been staying around or below 0 the rear suspension has been clunking over bumps, anyone else have this issue? It goes away when the weather warms up above 10-15 degrees.
Yes - when it's < 20F I get clunking over light bumps from my passenger side rear suspension.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I live in California LA & its nothing near what you guys have in degrees. I am hearing a clunking / squeaky noise from the rear driver side. 2019 Civic Si coupe.

jord31

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si HFP 2018
Country flag
I'm curious to know what dealership you go to since you are in Montreal?
I got the TSB done last year which did not fix the problem and this year I brought it up again at the same dealership and he said it's "normal" and that all Civic's do it...
Hi , I’m on the South Shore in fact. The dealer is Chambly Honda ! What is yours ?

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi , I’m on the South Shore in fact. The dealer is Chambly Honda ! What is yours ?
Lombardi Honda. The service advisor that I had the first time that did the TSB was super cool and admitted there was a problem and had other people with the same problem. The last guy I got didn't really seem to care, did not think it was a legit problem and I don't think he realized how loud the clunking actually gets.

I think I may write to Honda Canada like you did too.

jord31

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si HFP 2018
Country flag
Lombardi Honda. The service advisor that I had the first time that did the TSB was super cool and admitted there was a problem and had other people with the same problem. The last guy I got didn't really seem to care, did not think it was a legit problem and I don't think he realized how loud the clunking actually gets.

I think I may write to Honda Canada like you did too.
What a bad attitude !
On my side the guy heard it as it was a cold day. Still no reply though from Honda Canada today. I will wait a hole week before writing again if i don’t have any news! Let me know if you do it and have some on your side.

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Im in Montreal, same issue here.

Now since the weather is higher than +5 , the clunking noise is gone.
I might just get a Winter beater at this point, because this clunking noise drives me crazy. Especially when i think about how much money i paid for this.

Its certainly not a winter car.

I still don't understand what the hell Honda was thinking when they designed this car. Im pretty sure they knew about this problem in cold weather.
Why would they sell a car with a suspension that can't even handle 0 degrees.

I really feel betrayed , i will have to live with it for the next 2-3 years as i can't turn in the car without loosing 15k.

Its really sad , i'll probably leave Honda for good.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Im in Montreal, same issue here.

Now since the weather is higher than +5 , the clunking noise is gone.
I might just get a Winter beater at this point, because this clunking noise drives me crazy. Especially when i think about how much money i paid for this.

Its certainly not a winter car.

I still don't understand what the hell Honda was thinking when they designed this car. Im pretty sure they knew about this problem in cold weather.
Why would they sell a car with a suspension that can't even handle 0 degrees.

I really feel betrayed , i will have to live with it for the next 2-3 years as i can't turn in the car without loosing 15k.

Its really sad , i'll probably leave Honda for good.
omg. honda is the worst because of some noise in the cold? and maybe some gas in the oil?

wow, you need to check out some of the competitors forums for their issues. like ringland failure, rod bearing failures, sparks and fuel fumes leaking on the same car...
be happy that our issues are so minor.

i have never seen a perfect car.

twistedneck

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking E0CAAA82-1F7F-4312-B932-D71D30C37A4B
Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Suspension Clunking 9D949637-04BB-4B30-BECB-378EEEAA009D
Hey all first post here and owner of my 2019 Si coupe since Christmas 2018.

i’m pretty sure i know exactly what this is but i’m consulting with other engineers on it now.

same thing happened on a few rear high performance suspension systems out there.

rear sway bar bushings are very soft with internal nylon rate plate features.

they get very hard under 30F almost like a glass transition temperature. the rubber shrinks significantly and the outer size shrinks and you get play between the outer rubber (hard like a rock when cold also) and the bracket. in addition if the ID is not glued to the sway bar itself you can have the interference fit between bar and bushings rapidly become a clearance hole and again you get loud thunking.

i checked the links they are just fine and fyi blown ball joint links fail cold or warm. only the rubber has this issue when cold. and man when those cold days hit it sounds like the rear end is going to fall off!!

so i’ve reached out to see if there is a fix out there with the folks who designed it. i’ll write back asap

in the mean time realize this is a performance enhancement when not cold meaning it is so fine tuned for the perfect ride feel this was a result. fixing it will tighten things up back there and could change the perfect handling balance

quick fix? aftermarket bushings that have way more interference fit. or maybe if they are not glued to the bar use the bushings from a smaller size bar diameter so the interference fit will be much increased. this will fuck up the ride a little tho.

hope that helps. Jeff