corvet786c

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Just wondering before I spen the $40.00 + dollars on a piece of hose, is this mod worth it. I already have stock air box and k/n filter and was considering putting this on from prl. They claim like 9 hp. Thoughts suggestions Thanks
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty sure the +9hp is referring to their Cobra CAI, not their Stage 1 kit.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have the PRL hose and I’d say it adds about 0 whp. ;)

Along with my AEM dropdown though I do notice slightly better throttle response and a 1-2mpg improvement on the highway.

kseriesparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Integra Type-R, 02 RSX Type-S, 2016 Honda Accord v6, 2000 Integra GSR
Country flag
We have messed with couplers and hoses on the dyno with not enough change to call it "worth it" in most cases. reducers, straight, all of it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The stage one intake had confirmed gains of 4-9 WHP.
I'd love to see an independent dyno on that. That still sounds a bit exaggerated for a drop in.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-motorsports-project-snow-white.12424/

PRL Dyno charts when they first started testing parts. I'm using the PRL hose & an AEM drop in filter, cost me about $70.00 on sale.
I really don't think they're fluffing the numbers.

Definitely worth it and by just seat of the pants feel I think I'm seeing at least a few whp if I can feel it. Done a lot of dynoing & tuning and usually if ya can feel a seat of pants change your talking 5-10whp+ in my experience. I had a KTuner 19.5/23 PSI map loaded when I did back to back test drives with the stock configuration.

For me throttle responsive was improved, smoothed my throttle out enough I didn't need to add throttle padding after switching, boost feels quicker to build and top end felt a little more opened up, motor has a nice roar & turbo noises sound lovely now, & I saw a small MPG boost as well. On top of all of that I could feel power throughout the powerband in the seat.

An intake was too pricey for my bones, I think Honda did a great job on the intake system. Looks like thermal protection is also having good test results with a stock box and IAT's!

Also drive a lot on gravel/dirt roads here in Kansas & crazy weather all year round. I don't have a second to worry about hydrolock and stuffing a filter in the fender is asking for trouble where I live IMO. I love being able to fly down the back country roads through puddles after a fresh rain, this car handles great off road even very spirited driving. I've taken it to places I use to ride my enduro, this platform is insane and it comes with a metal skid plate too! lol

Seriously though, if you are worried about hydro lock at all but would still like any of the benefits I listed above I think a drop in or full Stage 1 intake is for you.
I chose to go AEM because it was not oiled and cheaper. I do not like using oiled filters, especially with a MAF sensor that close.

Just my impression!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have one too and agree with @CrippleRipple. I'd hydrolocked a car years ago and, while I have a CAI on my occasional-use Z, I don't put CAIs on DDs anymore.

I got mine on sale as a package deal so I figured why not. If its worth it is based on aethetic improvements, you'll have to judge that for itself. For performance? I'd say no. In my experience, the fit was very difficult, as the hose was about 1/2" too short and required a lot of tugging on the stock airbox to get it to fit up (silicoln hoses don't stretch much, if at all). I still have a slight gap on each end of the hose where the hose clamps hold each end of the hose on. Whether this was a manufacturing discrepancy or what... I can't say. When I pull the filter to clean it later this year, I may very well just go back to the stock accordion tube. Getting it on required putting more force on the stock airbox than I like... and plastic only gets more brittle with heat and age.

Project snow white is a good read, and one of the earliest modding threads I saw when I started lurking the forums about a year ago.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have one too and agree with @CrippleRipple. I'd hydrolocked a car years ago and, while I have a CAI on my occasional-use Z, I don't put CAIs on DDs anymore.

I got mine on sale as a package deal so I figured why not. If its worth it is based on aethetic improvements, you'll have to judge that for itself. For performance? I'd say no. In my experience, the fit was very difficult, as the hose was about 1/2" too short and required a lot of tugging on the stock airbox to get it to fit up (silicoln hoses don't stretch much, if at all). I still have a slight gap on each end of the hose where the hose clamps hold each end of the hose on. Whether this was a manufacturing discrepancy or what... I can't say. When I pull the filter to clean it later this year, I may very well just go back to the stock accordion tube. Getting it on required putting more force on the stock airbox than I like... and plastic only gets more brittle with heat and age.

Project snow white is a good read, and one of the earliest modding threads I saw when I started lurking the forums about a year ago.
I ended up putting in Mishimoto hose after reading that PRL might be a tight fit. It fits pretty well. If anything it pushes a bit on the airbox so it may err in the other direction. I also have an aFe pro dry filter. I can hear some faint blow off, and I think some additional spool, mostly with the windows down. I'm not sure if the hose has any impact on that, probably more the filter if anything. I might just never have had the windows down with the stock rubber hose. It is probably mostly aesthetic and that is why I did it. The filter is probably doing more for you than the hose. I paid $48 from Royal Radiators on eBay and it drop-shipped from Mishimoto FWIW.

I've got a PRL SRI on the way so I'll have that installed soon and can compare. It surely will sound better, I'll let you know about the IATs.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get a modest but noticeably enhanced turbo/intake noise from PRLs stage 1... which is a Green drop in, as I recall. I read their claim-to-fame was that, compared to K&N, they aren't over molded into where the filter media is, causing less of a restriction, as I recall. I had a K&N drop-in on the 9th gen and have had one on the Odyssey since I replaced it the first time up in '15 that has paid for itself compared to ~$15 a pop aftermarket replacements. My Z's dual pop charger/Selin translator setup uses oldie-but-goodie Stillen cones.

The main reason I get the reusable is to (eventually) save in cost and perhaps have a very mild performance improvement while using the stock airbox. I don't drive in very dusty areas or go down dirt roads so the possible compromise in filtering performance I figure isn't too bad, considering the mild environment I operate in. Hell, on my mowers and such, I just knock out the old filters gently and reinstall. If my 18 HP mower makes 16 HP... I don't really care too much. Filter efficiency only goes us as it gets loaded. So long as it looks to make a good seal good seal and it runs good, I'm unconcerned. The go kart uses a oiled Uni-filter. I have to clean and reoil that a few times a year. It's 'sock' get *nasty*.

I don't know if my PRL tube was a one-off in being short... but I heard a mix of 'fits good' and 'too short and have to push on the air box'... though some made it sound like they got a good fit. I figured the hose did nothing but look pretty but since the package was on sale, I figured what the hell. Mine just never fit up good. I've actually broke an airbox on, what was then, an admittedly old car, trying to wrestle a filter in and out as the design was a PITA (Galant) so, now, I try to be gentle with aging, rigid plastic that gets exposed to a lot of thermal cycling.

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (polished metal)
I got the drop-in filter and hoses from PRL, but mostly just to save on filter costs (as mentioned above), and for the looks. I’m not sure I feel any significant difference, but it looks a lot better.
Sponsored