what no volume knob...big f...in deal....

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are lucky not to have owned a Ford in recent years with their infotainment unit, I seen owners of brand new Ford Explorers sell their vehicles because their infotainment units were messing up so bad. On a couple of occasions I had my radio playing for hours after leaving the vehicle as it would not shut off no matter what I did, I would return to my vehicle to find the radio playing for hours. Manyu owners had the black screen of death when the systems died all of the sudden without warning. This Honda system is a dream compared to the Ford experience, even if there are some teething issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The very clear consensus is that an intuitive volume control knob (with push on-off) is highly desirable.
The very clear consensus at Jill Stein rallies was that she should be president.

usaswat2013

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4DR Sedan EX
Everyone go complain on autoguide's youtu video. They reviewed a civic hatch and complained many times in the video of how it doesn't have volume nob

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Nearly every major automotive review has griped about the lack of a control knob. And Honda took note. I don't expect it to return to the Civic until MY 2019 or later. But they've at least recognized its absence as a mild contributing factor to driver distraction. And all of Honda's new redesigns will include the volume control knob going forward.

If the steering wheel is off-center for any reason, the user can end up fumbling for the volume control more often than Honda would prefer. It was a hard lesson learned at Ferrari, and one I'm surprised Honda replicated. It's a mute point to a degree (pun intended). Many enthusiasts will end up ripping out the infotainment anyway, once an appropriate solution becomes available.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one amazed at how many people are getting bent out of shape because it's difficult to use the volume control on the steering wheel while making a turn?
Good point, those are the drivers who created the need for lane departure warning systems.

I can shift gears while cornering and using my paddle shifters what more do I need lol ?, who gives a damn about volume controls. Lets stick to what's important and don't sweat the small stuff.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Why create a thread (yet another) to try to convince thousands or millions of people that it's not a big deal to not have a volume knob? People have different opinions. You have yours, let them have theirs.

Especially when there was already an exact thread:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/your-dont-need-a-volume-knob.2599/
Which is actually chocked full of info on why it would be best to have one.

Don't like a knob? Don't use it. Don't like the looks? Tough. I hate the look of airbags, but prefer to have them. Removing the volume knob and having the only control to a slider on the steering wheel is exactly the same as moving the gear shifter to a slider on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hardly. And it's not the only control. There's also a slider bar on the head unit. And the controls also understand gestures for mute and restore.

And I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of not having the volume knob. But hey, change happens. It's not the strong that survive. It's those who adapt. Just ask the dinosaurs.

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
Hardly. And it's not the only control. There's also a slider bar on the head unit. And the controls also understand gestures for mute and restore.

And I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of not having the volume knob. But hey, change happens. It's not the strong that survive. It's those who adapt. Just ask the dinosaurs.
LOL, exactly. That's why Honda has adapted the CRV back to a volume knob. ;-)

audiosoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I live in the high desert in Arizona. In winter the air is dry, sometimes my fingers are dry and the screen scroll doesn't work for me. If not I just use the scroll on the steering wheel. No big deal....

matt100186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the high desert in Arizona. In winter the air is dry, sometimes my fingers are dry and the screen scroll doesn't work for me. If not I just use the scroll on the steering wheel. No big deal....
Do you own a hatchback?

bsirk3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EXL with sensing Ordered.
HB's are all '17's, he has a '16...

matt100186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly he says no big deal. But is it a big deal that the steering wheel scroll doesn't work on the hatchback?
Sponsored