Volume knob on LX trims only?

deltarogue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe MSM
I'm curious as to why Honda decided to include the convenient volume control knob on their LX trims, yet take it off on the EX and higher trims.

I know it most likely has to do with the fact that all trims EX and higher have the 7 inch touchscreen interface and the LX has the 5 inch LCD screen, but surely they could have found a way to fit the knob there with the 7 inch screen?
Sponsored

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
I'm curious as to why Honda decided to include the convenient volume control knob on their LX trims, yet take it off on the EX and higher trims.

I know it most likely has to do with the fact that all trims EX and higher have the 7 inch touchscreen interface and the LX has the 5 inch LCD screen, but surely they could have found a way to fit the knob there with the 7 inch screen?
I don't understand why this is important to people, I don't miss the knob at all, I think the slider on the steering wheel is better. Maybe I'm just used to handling an ipod which doesn't have knobs either.

OP
OP
deltarogue13

deltarogue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand why this is important to people, I don't miss the knob at all, I think the slider on the steering wheel is better. Maybe I'm just used to handling an ipod which doesn't have knobs either.
I test drove a 2016 Civic the other day and I must admit, the slider on the steering wheel was very nice. I guess I'm just used to using one on my old 98 Civic. I can see myself getting really used to the slider if I buy a new one soon.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

A highly debated topic here and other places on the Internet. For every person who misses a volume knob there is another who doesn't care.

I think from a visual standpoint, the lack of the volume knob is very clean looking and I don't miss it at all. From a usability standpoint, I am one of those who feels between the panel and the steer wheel that I am covered and it works just fine. But I know others feel strongly that the lack of a volume is the worst idea ever - and that is fine too. No one is right or wrong.

There is a big thread on this if you really want to get into the weeds...

Your Dont need a Volume Knob!

RC

OP
OP
deltarogue13

deltarogue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A highly debated topic here and other places on the Internet. For every person who misses a volume knob there is another who doesn't care.

I think from a visual standpoint, the lack of the volume knob is very clean looking and I don't miss it at all. From a usability standpoint, I am one of those who feels between the panel and the steer wheel that I am covered and it works just fine. But I know others feel strongly that the lack of a volume is the worst idea ever - and that is fine too. No one is right or wrong.

There is a big thread on this if you really want to get into the weeds...

Your Dont need a Volume Knob!

RC
Great response! Yeah I'm not extremely picky about it. Like I said, I can see myself getting used to and enjoying the volume slider on the steering wheel once I get my hands on a new Civic. But at the same time, I can also see myself taking my right hand off the wheel to turn the volume up or down, and I realize there isn't a knob haha

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Great response! Yeah I'm not extremely picky about it. Like I said, I can see myself getting used to and enjoying the volume slider on the steering wheel once I get my hands on a new Civic. But at the same time, I can also see myself taking my right hand off the wheel to turn the volume up or down, and I realize there isn't a knob haha
I did that the first week of ownership!

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
I'm glad mine has a knob, but at the same time, I'm fixing to swap my HU out for a aftermarket touchscreen unit. Maybe. Depends on funds. Won't be that expensive, because I can do it myself. I like the knob too, but I can get use to not having one. I use the buttons on the steering wheel most of the time anyway.

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag
I have posted this before, but I love the knob on the stereo. I like how quickly I can cycle the volume knob. I know some do not mind but I care enough that when I upgrade my HU to a aftermarket one, I will only go with something that has the knob.... even if it costs me a inch or two of screen space.

OP
OP
deltarogue13

deltarogue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because they like us LX owners better. :D
Perhaps lol Well after having my new EX-T for a week and a half now, I have to say that I am very much used to the touch sensing volume control on the steering wheel. I don't mind not having a knob on the stereo haha