what no volume knob...big f...in deal....

Randallel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Lunar SIlver
The hatchback definitely should have it buried in settings if the sedan/coupe does. It's the same head unit..
Sponsored

MilfShake2108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback LX 6SPD Manual
Country flag
For hatchback owners, is it not buried in settings?

Check Settings->System->Others->Volume Gestures.

It's present on the hatchback manual for Canada.
If it is there then no one will complain, of course I tried to look for it there.

I have yet to see a single person who owns a 2017 hatchback of any trim has a working slide volume control button.

I'm pretty sure 100% of the people who own a hatchback in this forum have the same problem, it is just not usable

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
The head unit volume is for the front seat passenger obviously. Spend some time riding shotgun on mildly bumpy streets and you'll quickly realize how this slider is a poor design. I found myself laughing as I tried to lower the volume as my finger bounced around attempting to hit the right spot. There is no way to anchor your hand for stability. The knob is the answer. Honda has started with the CR-v and it will be in all within a couple model years. The swipe motion on the drivers volume is hit or miss too so I always use up/down only.
I agree with this.

yes, it is a problem and member Markdog summed it nicely. Also, nearly every review mentions it because it _is_ an issue. A minority of people are willing to adapt to a worse user interface. That is not what a user interface designer should aspire to.

matt100186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Was told last night by a high level Honda tech not to expect it in the hatch when you initially buy it. There is no setting to enable it or disable it. No way to reboot and have it magically start to work. The infotainment system for the hatchback included an oversight. Honda didn't think it would be an issue. That's why it shows up in the manual. Manual was created from the sedan and just modified to suit the hatch. They just missed the fact that it said you can scroll/slide the volume control on the steering wheel. The reason there is no mute button other than when you touch the volume and it shows up there is because the mute button is actually the power button for the audio. If you want to mute you just touch the power button and unmute by touching again. They may include it in a future update but until the update happens you just have to deal with how it is. It's not perfect but really what is? It's just like a phone or anything for that matter that requires updates. With enough user complaints the update will happen. Unfortunately it's the world we live in these day. A world that relys too much on updates!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did anyone at Honda think this made any sense at all to disable this? Dafuq are their engineers smoking?

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I couldn't care less about a volume knob. I haven't used one in the last 3 years since buying my 2013 Civic. I only used the steering wheel buttons in that car and I've continued to do so in the '16.

One thing thats been driving me insane lately is the lack of a fan speed knob and a fan mode cycle button. I find the whole digital climate control thing clumsy and annoying.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
I couldn't care less about a volume knob. I haven't used one in the last 3 years since buying my 2013 Civic. I only used the steering wheel buttons in that car and I've continued to do so in the '16.

One thing thats been driving me insane lately is the lack of a fan speed knob and a fan mode cycle button. I find the whole digital climate control thing clumsy and annoying.
LX has a fan speed KNOB as well as the volume knob. It appears that Honda thought, that going to the touch screen on things, was somehow an improvement. Go figure ...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LX has a fan speed KNOB as well as the volume knob. It appears that Honda thought, that going to the touch screen on things, was somehow an improvement. Go figure ...
For what it's worth - I wouldn't be surprised if Honda reneges on their touchscreen-only affair for infotainment and climate in the mid-cycle refresh for '19/'20. Ford did the same thing a few years back and has replaced their touch-sensitive sliders for traditional buttons.

The volume/tuning thing, that's no big deal IMO. Hiding all the climate stuff behind one button is kinda silly.

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same thing with the rain sensing wipers. They're supposed to be more convenient. Instead they're erratic and unpredictable. They make me miss the standard intermittent setting in my 2013 EX.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For what it's worth - I wouldn't be surprised if Honda reneges on their touchscreen-only affair for infotainment and climate in the mid-cycle refresh for '19/'20. Ford did the same thing a few years back and has replaced their touch-sensitive sliders for traditional buttons.

The volume/tuning thing, that's no big deal IMO. Hiding all the climate stuff behind one button is kinda silly.
Just curious, why do you need the climate control buttons? I think hiding them makes the dash look really clean.

I set the auto temperature the day I picked up my car, and haven't looked back since. And there are buttons for recirculate, as well as rear and front defrost.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
First of all, I'm gonna say right off the bat that I don't want to be caught dead with a single zone HVAC. However, I will agree that there's space to include and up and down fan speed, as well as a "MODE" button for the direction of the air in lieu of the "CLIMATE" button. Temperature indicators could be on the either side of the two knobs, the the rest of the information should be displayed on the top bar permanently.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious, why do you need the climate control buttons? I think hiding them makes the dash look really clean.

I set the auto temperature the day I picked up my car, and haven't looked back since. And there are buttons for recirculate, as well as rear and front defrost.
Just better ergonomics IMO. It does make the layout look clean and I like the minimalistic design cues. But if the system's already doing other things, i.e. using Android Auto for music/nav, it gets overloaded quickly. Can take a few secs to pop up.

I can do auto for A/C, but for heat I prefer controlling fan speed and direction. Just more of a distraction having to change things vs. having a few more buttons for fan speed and direction.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just better ergonomics IMO. It does make the layout look clean and I like the minimalistic design cues. But if the system's already doing other things, i.e. using Android Auto for music/nav, it gets overloaded quickly. Can take a few secs to pop up.

I can do auto for A/C, but for heat I prefer controlling fan speed and direction. Just more of a distraction having to change things vs. having a few more buttons for fan speed and direction.
Ya, I hear you about the system getting overloaded quickly. It's just that when I look at the Accord, with the 2 sceeens and buttons/controls all over the place, I think it is ugly compared to the Civic.

I used to love the 1980's Pontiac Grand Prix, with all those dials, looking like the cockpit of an airplane. Just not so much anymore - I guess the minimalist in me is taking over.

velredrx8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring, 2004 rx8, 2012 honda civic, 2005 toyota tacoma
Country flag
I kinda like not having a knob for volume control, my wife has not turned down my music since, before she always turned it down.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ya, I hear you about the system getting overloaded quickly. It's just that when I look at the Accord, with the 2 sceeens and buttons/controls all over the place, I think it is ugly compared to the Civic.

I used to love the 1980's Pontiac Grand Prix, with all those dials, looking like the cockpit of an airplane. Just not so much anymore - I guess the minimalist in me is taking over.
I completely agree about the other Hondas/Acuras, the two-screen thing is a mess. Hoping they do away with that in the future.
Sponsored