what no volume knob...big f...in deal....

Deleted member 3699

I think it's a big deal.

(there is the mute button on the info screen at the bottom of the volume bar) Of course we will adapt. I'm not stuck in my car complaining that I can't control the volume.
Clearly you've never adjusted your volume control during a proper turn or anytime you go hand over hand on the wheel.
I also still prefer a non-digital tachometer. These obviously weren't deal breakers but it's annoying.
Sponsored

matt100186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 43yrs old, and find it comical on how often this issue was/is brought up over the release of the 10th gen. when I test drove my vehicle for the first time I had no issue adjusting to the lack of a physical component. in fact I thought the scrolling volume control on the steering wheel was great, and this is my go to in controlling the volume. in this tech savvy world of ours, I guess I'm a little puzzled as what's the big hubbub....hell I don't even have to take my hands off the wheel.
My main question is why can't I scroll the volume on my steering wheel. You can press the volume buttons up or down but when you slide your thumb on it nothing happens. Pressing the power button to mute works. But I thought you could also scroll mute the volume on the steering wheel?? Or am I wrong

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My main question is why can't I scroll the volume on my steering wheel. You can press the volume buttons up or down but when you slide your thumb on it nothing happens. Pressing the power button to mute works. But I thought you could also scroll mute the volume on the steering wheel?? Or am I wrong
on the sedans and coupes the slide to mute works, not sure why the hatch's have them disabled

bsirk3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EXL with sensing Ordered.
I read in another thread that there was an option in settings to enable this...can anyone confirm this that actually has a HB? I just ordered my car and I forgot to check that during my test drives. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I would like to know if we can enable the slide mute/slide volume adjustment.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
am i the only one that presses the power button when i want to mute my music?:confused: i also use the swipe method but pressing the power seems faster to me
Shouldn't have to power down just to lower volume.

OP
OP

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
like neo said, for some reason the 17' hb are coming from the factory disabled.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
They press the volume down, and then see a mute button and press mute. Or I do the swipe down movement for them on my controls to mute. While, yes, pressing a knob is a more intuitive solution...it's not like it's extremely hard to mute or very hard to know how to do it after the very first time maybe. For me, it's an extremely minor annoyance, and while I would probably prefer a volume knob, I feel some people have made it a much bigger deal than it is, in my opinion.
This forces them to deal with infotainment, which is a real piece of work of it's own, from comments I've read. I don't have it thank God.

bsirk3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that it comes disabled, but can it be ENabled in the settings? I read somewhere on here that it can be but I'd like to know if this is confirmed? I couldn't care less about a volume knob as others do, I haven't used anything but my steering wheel control in my current car for years.

MilfShake2108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback LX 6SPD Manual
Country flag
am i the only one that presses the power button when i want to mute my music?:confused: i also use the swipe method but pressing the power seems faster to me
I did exactly this and I also mentioned this in another thread.
The audio power button is basically the mute button

MilfShake2108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback LX 6SPD Manual
Country flag
I get that it comes disabled, but can it be ENabled in the settings? I read somewhere on here that it can be but I'd like to know if this is confirmed? I couldn't care less about a volume knob as others do, I haven't used anything but my steering wheel control in my current car for years.
I can confirm that there is absolutely no options in Settings to let you enable the swipe motion.

Dealer wants me to come in so they can maybe update the software to fix this.

Markdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic LXS, 2007 Civic EX
The head unit volume is for the front seat passenger obviously. Spend some time riding shotgun on mildly bumpy streets and you'll quickly realize how this slider is a poor design. I found myself laughing as I tried to lower the volume as my finger bounced around attempting to hit the right spot. There is no way to anchor your hand for stability. The knob is the answer. Honda has started with the CR-v and it will be in all within a couple model years. The swipe motion on the drivers volume is hit or miss too so I always use up/down only.

bsirk3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get your point, but I guess I would simply ask the driver to turn down the volume...? I'm not saying I don't understand the want for one but I don't think it's a huge problem many have made it out to be.

SteveGG

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
I get your point, but I guess I would simply ask the driver to turn down the volume...? I'm not saying I don't understand the want for one but I don't think it's a huge problem many have made it out to be.
Huge ? No. Significant or notable ? Yes.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
For hatchback owners, is it not buried in settings?

Check Settings->System->Others->Volume Gestures.

It's present on the hatchback manual for Canada.
Sponsored