Weird CVT transmission jerk

rattler934

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2020
Hi everyone, I have a 1.5L turbo 2020 ex hatch CVT with around 9k miles on it. When I'm slowing down, I always feel a small jerk back when I hit around 4 mph, right before coming to a stop. This is regardless of whether the car is cold or hot, or if the a/c is on or off. Additionally, during a cold start, putting the car into drive makes it jerk pretty hard, the whole car feels like it moves. After warming up a little, this is reduced to a noticeable but small jerk. Anyone else experience these things and should I be worried? I don't want to spend a few hundred at the dealer for a diagnostic just for them to tell me its normal. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I drive in alot if stop and go traffic and my car never jerks. I can feel the car making gear ratio changes, but not jerky. I wouldn't say it's normal.

OP
OP

rattler934

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2020
I drive in alot if stop and go traffic and my car never jerks. I can feel the car making gear ratio changes, but not jerky. I wouldn't say it's normal.
what does a "gear ratio change" feel like?

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
It's hard to describe but it's like when you feel an automatic transmission shifting. Never a harsh jerk like when a tranny slips and catches.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I definitely can agree to this at around 4-5 mph there is a weird feeling kind of like when you are feathering the throttle but it might just be the “gear ratio change” that he is referring to.

OP
OP

rattler934

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2020
It's hard to describe but it's like when you feel an automatic transmission shifting. Never a harsh jerk like when a tranny slips and catches.
yeah im not sure if thats what im experiencing. best way to put it is driving over a small rock or something. i do get a violent jerk when i first put it into drive after a night of sitting there tho.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I can't say I always feel this but sometimes when slowing down abruptly, I get some jerkiness from the CVT. I also get some roughness in the morning going from R to D.

For the most part this is "normal" with our CVT. It does have it's quirks. Then again so do most/ all automatic transmissions. I've had my car for over 5 years and the CVT has held up fine (I'm tuned as well).

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
+1 for the non-smoothness when everything is cold. Downshifting has always been a weird thing with my car. When I let off the gas to take a turn; I can feel something like engine braking going on. But the RPMs seem to bump up as well. I'm sure it's 'normal'. But I hate it.

I have the 2.0 And I swear I feel the VTEC telegraphing through the CVT. But not in a good way like with a traditional automatic.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I dunno. My cvt is always smooth cold or hot. Only times I felt lurching is with tsp tune at low speed. I'm running type r motor mount tho.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I definitely know the lurch you speak of, and if I have to slow down very fast it's like the transmission catches up and lurches a few times compared to a normal stop. It's done this from day one.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's normal. I have CVT and have same feeling. Mine is tuned and also have Type R RMM which is actually the same as the Si and Civic Manual. Only the CVT Civics have plastic RMM. You have nothing to worry about. Even back when I was stock I had the same issue as well.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
A friend at work has a 2020 Civic touring and her CVT has none of the lurching mine does. Wonder if there's a software update or if it's an internal update to the transmission itself.

OP
OP

rattler934

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2020
It's normal. I have CVT and have same feeling. Mine is tuned and also have Type R RMM which is actually the same as the Si and Civic Manual. Only the CVT Civics have plastic RMM. You have nothing to worry about. Even back when I was stock I had the same issue as well.
hey thanks for the reply. I also occasionally get a "knock" sound when the issue I described happens. This sound also occurs when I'm rolling anywhere from 0-20mph with my foot off the gas pedal. Pressing the pedal again makes a singular knock noise somewhere underneath the car. Not sure what this is either.

Da5hi30i2d

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex hatchback hpf edition
Country flag
Same here with a 2019 civic I gave up searching the forums. It isn’t bad jerk and it’s only noticeable when going from high speeds and needing to stop semi abruptly. You will find it strange if you pull your battery for 10 min and let warning reset while you drive. You will notice you don’t get that “jerk” at all. It’s almost like ecu re-learning your driving habits and it causes that jerk ones all warning lights are gone.

Jongavin123

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic ex-t
Country flag
This can’t be the jerk you guys are talking about is it? I can’t find anything about this. one guy said it could be a wire but I checked my harness over and all today