CVT Transmission Failure

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you’re tuned, just accept the responsibility of paying out of pocket if anything goes wrong with your power train. Honda honoring the power train warranty (when tuned) is the exception (luck) rather than the rule.
Sponsored

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Very very lucky your getting it replaced free of charge. The majority of dealers out there would have denied covering it instantly because of your tune.

OP
OP

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
The fact that it is covered by warranty likely means there was a problem unrelated to the tune. Did they know you had it tuned?
They didn’t mention it but idk if they scanned my ecu or not.

OP
OP

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m using Hondata +6 psi tune on my CVT for 3 years and it’s still running well. I did the CVT fluid change around 35000 miles.

Tuned or not tuned, proper maintenance is they key and the way you drive it.
Okay thanks

xTWISTEDWAYZx

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
I've got a 17 civic touring in which it's not only survived my driving for 185k miles , but its also been delivering the power from the tsp stage 1 tune for about 80k of that. The cvt has never even flinched in terms of putting that power down. No slip, no hesitation, and im thinking it can even handle more than what im throwing at it. The ktuner and TSP stage 1 tune also has some settings that turn down the aspects of the tune in which could cause failures. I believe its the ramp up is curved slightly less. Its a very solid CVT.

I had a 2011 nissan altima with 260k miles on a cvt where the transmission was never opened. It had slipping issues the entire time but never gave up.

With my civic i take care of the fluids pretty well. The trans especially.

Your failure on that cvt is not necessarily related to the tune or even your driving. These things can just happen for many reasons. It had 30k on it im pretty sure it had something more to do with manufacturing. Honda would of stuck you with its cost if not. They can tell if you were tuned or not. It sounds like a critical failure too.

Good luck.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2011 nissan altima with 260k miles on a cvt where the transmission was never opened. It had slipping issues the entire time but never gave up.

Impressive numbers, mostly highway miles I guess?

How often did you changed the CVT fluid during those 11 years and 260 k miles?

OP
OP

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've got a 17 civic touring in which it's not only survived my driving for 185k miles , but its also been delivering the power from the tsp stage 1 tune for about 80k of that. The cvt has never even flinched in terms of putting that power down. No slip, no hesitation, and im thinking it can even handle more than what im throwing at it. The ktuner and TSP stage 1 tune also has some settings that turn down the aspects of the tune in which could cause failures. I believe its the ramp up is curved slightly less. Its a very solid CVT.

Your failure on that cvt is not necessarily related to the tune or even your driving. These things can just happen for many reasons. It had 30k on it im pretty sure it had something more to do with manufacturing. Honda would of stuck you with its cost if not. They can tell if you were tuned or not. It sounds like a critical failure too.

Good luck.
Alright thanks for the input, the Honda workers said they had never seen what happened to my cvt happen before so I imagine it was a manufacturing problem. Thanks again for your input, glad to hear this, it gives me more confidence in keeping it tuned once I get it back from the dealership.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I saw in the tuning thread that you are tuned but you only use regular 87 octane. Huge no no on that one. Why did you do that? That probably contributed to the CVT transmission failure. Even a bone stock with a stock factory tune Honda recommends Honda Civic Hatchback Sport like yours using at least 91 Octane.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
How would low octane contribute to transmission failure? Low octane might cause detonation if the ecu can't pull enough timing, but that's about it.

Mind you, I'm in complete agreement that premium is required. I just think the failure point will be when one of the pistons melts, or when a valve departs the head, rather than the transmission.

Captain

Ghost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic FB7 , 2020Civic FC5
Country flag
I have 2014 touring with cvt transmission for 7 years never had any issue.
Its on 105000 Km I was change transmission fluid around 75000 Km.
Sponsored