CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a 2018 civic sport hatch with about 30k miles on it, CVT BTW. I installed a Borla S-Type exhaust on it and I am running Hondata's +6 psi base map tune. A few days ago my transmission failed while I was driving and I got it towed to a Honda dealership. They said something came apart in the transmission and leaked transmission fluid everywhere, so they had to replace it. Just wondering if anyone's ever experienced it or know why this could have happened? I know CVT's are crap and are known for failing but I thought Honda's were better, especially on the newer tenth gen civics.
Sponsored

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
Was it replaced under warranty? And is there anything you could have done that contributed towards the failure? ex. brake boost

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Almost all of the failed CVT's listed at this website were modified, driven hard or were in a major accident.

The 1.5 litre's CVT is robust (it came from the Accord). There are more than a few who have over 100,000 miles already on this transmission. If Honda is replacing the transmission at their cost, consider yourself very lucky.

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Almost all of the failed CVT's listed at this website were modified, driven hard or were in a major accident.

The 1.5 litre's CVT is robust (it came from the Accord). There are more than a few who have over 100,000 miles already on this transmission. If Honda is replacing the transmission at their cost, consider yourself very lucky.
Mamamamama

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
Hey guys, I have a 2018 civic sport hatch with about 30k miles on it, CVT BTW. I installed a Borla S-Type exhaust on it and I am running Hondata's +6 psi base map tune. A few days ago my transmission failed while I was driving and I got it towed to a Honda dealership. They said something came apart in the transmission and leaked transmission fluid everywhere, so they had to replace it. Just wondering if anyone's ever experienced it or know why this could have happened? I know CVT's are crap and are known for failing but I thought Honda's were better, especially on the newer tenth gen civics.
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Transmission Failure 01FD6B89-EC54-4D20-A4C0-04EEEC7C2380
honda cvts are fine

As stated above....its not designed for extra 6+ lbs of boost + abuse lol

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
01FD6B89-EC54-4D20-A4C0-04EEEC7C2380.gif
honda cvts are fine

I've been pushing 300whp and 260wtq at 27psi and no issues so far,,,, at least two worse every day but not from dig

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know CVT's are crap and are known for failing but I thought Honda's were better.
No, they're actually pretty good, only very few of them broke.
There is a big "CVT tuning and reliability thread", very interesting to read. Have a look at that post:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...lity-thread-for-all-models.42361/post-1006133

With a CVT it's important to do maintenance. How often did you changed your CVT fluid within three years and 30k miles?

Hopefully this goes under warranty, I can recall someone in the forums who had their CVT replaced at a Honda dealership for 9,000 USD. :(

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

OP
OP

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
01FD6B89-EC54-4D20-A4C0-04EEEC7C2380.gif
honda cvts are fine

So is Hondata not reliable? I’m confused cause I was under the impression it was safe to do.

OP
OP

CopEvader1400

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tuned and question why Honda cvt isn’t reliable. :doh:
Okay so would you not recommend tuning with Hondata. Cause everything I’ve seen said Hondata is safe to use. Do you think that’s why my cvt failed?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
It's not a question of Hondata vs Ktuner, it's about how much torque the transmission can handle. By tuning using any means and increasing the torque, you're stressing the transmission parts more than the factory map. Without a mechanic opening the transmission up and figuring exactly what went wrong, nobody here will be able to tell you exactly what happened, but you are definitely increasing the chances of a failure.

Look at all the Si posts about weak clutches. The factory parts are meant to take a certain amount of stress, and if you push outside of that zone, you're more likely to break or wear something out.

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
Yes they ordered the part and are replacing it for free.
The fact that it is covered by warranty likely means there was a problem unrelated to the tune. Did they know you had it tuned?

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Okay so would you not recommend tuning with Hondata. Cause everything I’ve seen said Hondata is safe to use. Do you think that’s why my cvt failed?
I’m using Hondata +6 psi tune on my CVT for 3 years and it’s still running well. I did the CVT fluid change around 35000 miles.

Tuned or not tuned, proper maintenance is they key and the way you drive it.
Sponsored