The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Excellent statistics as always! Thank you for your continued dedication to this thread and the information contained within as well as the CivicX community in general. My factory warranty is up in November and will be looking into tuning then. Will be sure to add my vehicle if/when it's tuned.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that.

Neosky

First Name
Almer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update to my previous post.

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 29 months

Tuned miles driven: ~17,200 out of 19,900 miles driven total

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Currently TSP R365 93oct (~300mi so far), previously TSP Stage 1 (~16,900mi, Always on Map 3)

Fuel used: Costco 93oct

Additional related mods: RV6 R365 RED BB turbo, PRL Cobra CAI, PRL Turbo Inlet, PRL FMIC, PRL Charge Pipes, PRL High Volume Downpipe, PRL 3" Front Pipe, Remark Exhaust, Competition Clutch Stage 2 w/ 22lb SMF, PRL Braided SS Clutch Line, Modified OEM CMC, SlickFab custom-painted RL BBK with color-matched rears*, Type-R RMM, Perrin RMM Inserts, Type-R Subframe Brace, Magic Collar Subframe Collars, Whiteline ALK, Whiteline 27mm FSB, Whiteline 22mm RSB, Whiteline Front/Rear Adjustable Endlinks, Whiteline Front/Rear Swaybar Lock Collars, Acuity Shift Bushings, Acuity Pedal Spacer, Acuity Fully Adjustable Shifter, 27Won Shift Knob, 265/35R18 Indy 500s on 18x9.5+45 wheels, plus other miscellanea I may have forgotten. All installation work and maintenance performed by myself, besides alignments.

Problems/issues: Testing launch control on TSP Stage 1 resulted in limp mode, once. Decided to continue ignoring launch control, since I generally do not like the idea of it anyway. Busted the reverse shift mechanism inside the transmission due to an installation error wherein the harness connector for the reverse lockout solenoid was not fully engaged and became disconnected during driving. I acquired a used gearbox from another 2020 Si with near-identical mileage and am storing the original transmission until I get around to repairing it and upgrading it with improved gears.

Driving style: Gentle and smooth for the first several miles of a drive, more spirited when up to temperature, occasional pulls to 150mph or more.

Tune experience notes: The TSP OTS R365 tune is very solid so far. Nothing unusual to report. May get a custom e-tune from IMW or Phearable eventually.

Other: Parts that I have on-hand but are pending installation include Whiteline Lowering Springs (will probably acquire F/R camber kits prior to installation since my wheel fitment is quite aggressive), a complete suite of Ultra Racing chassis braces, and a 27Won FSTB w/ Brake Master Cylinder Brace.

I currently have a ProCivic Honeycomb Mesh Grille and Koyorad Radiator on order.

I will soon order TSP ARP head studs as a measure to prevent potential head lift.

*Yes, I know the RL BBK is not performance-oriented, but I do not track my car. I wanted a specific look, and as a bonus the stopping power and consistency has improved noticeably. In my opinion, it is perfect for daily street driving.
Hello... Idk why but I can't pm you so I'll just reply to this. šŸ˜‚ I'm also looking at slickfab bbks and I'm wondering if you needed spacers on your wheel setup. I'm planning to get Enkei TS-5 18x9.5 +38, but I haven't seen anyone running that same setup with slickfab bbks without spacers. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Steeda21

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T Sedan

Total tuned time: 24 Hours!!

Tuned miles driven: 100 miles (72,500 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTunerV2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Costco 91 or Shell 91

Additional related mods: No performance mods yet. I want to get the PRL Intercooler, Cobra CAI and the TSP Catted DP.

Problems/issues: Too early to comment

Driving style: I drive pretty conservative, but I wanted to give this car some guts!

Tune experience notes: I kept reading other owners saying they fell in love with their car all over again. I didn't think it could have been that big of a difference, but hot diggity dog! This civic has some zip to it. I have always focused on chassis and suspension modifications. I have the all the ULTRA Racing and Whiteline goodies that I absolutely love, but this tune just ties everything together and I feel it really completed the package of what I wanted.

I really appreciate amount of effort everyone has invested in this thread. Otherwise I would have never gone down the tuning path. I came from a long line of unreliable mustangs, including a 2003 SVT Cobra (which I setup for AutoX) and it had a horrible tune and could never get it to run right. I probably could have but I gave up and never wanted to do the Tuning route again.
UPDATE

Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T Sedan

Total tuned time: 2 Months

Tuned miles driven: 3,000 miles (75,500 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTunerV2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 ( I hang out in MAP2)

Fuel used: Costco 91

Tune experience notes: No issues at all. MPG went up slightly. I stick with Costco 91 and my KCon stays at .49. When I jump on it (occasionally) it spikes to .60-.67, but rebounds to .49 within a few minutes. Car runs super smooth though. I feel like it runs better than when it was not tuned. Having the extra boost is great and its just so smooth. When I eventually do the mishimoto FMIC and intake, I am on the fence now with the revised 1.5 or the 1.5R. Heard so many great things about the 1.5R, but I am limited to the Costco 91. I will do another update when I hit 80k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will do another update when I hit 80k miles.
We need more people here like you! :thumbsup:

There's just so many people who make one post and never add new update posts. And so many tuned regulars here that simply won't add their car to this thread for reasons I don't fully understand. I'm talking about guys who post elsewhere in the forum about their tunes, so it's not that. Maybe they just don't like me for some reason. Who knows. :dunno:

Steeda21

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag

There's just so many people who make one post and never add new update posts. And so many tuned regulars here that simply won't add their car to this thread for reasons I don't fully understand. I'm talking about guys who post elsewhere in the forum about their tunes, so it's not that. Maybe they just don't like me for some reason. Who knows. :dunno:
Thanks Mitch. This thread, and the 450 pages of posts, helped me make a well educated decision to dive into the Tuned Life. Otherwise, I would have never considered it because I had a horrible tuning experience with my SVT Cobra.

I want to pay it forward to you and the others that spent the few seconds to type a few things to help a fellow civic owner fall in love with their car again.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to pay it forward to you and the others that spent the few seconds to type a few things to help a fellow civic owner fall in love with their car again.
It's great to see you "get it". That's how it was supposed to work. This thread was designed to help inform people about what the real world 10th gen tuned life was all about. That way, they can make an educated decision on whether tuning is right for them. That's why I take it personally when I message people to add their car and they ignore the request. All I'm doing is trying to help the community. Nothing more.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Whatā€™s sup everyone. Iā€™m having this issue with my car on WOT 3rd to 6th above 2k RPM. The car seems to misfire, bog, back fire out the exhaust like crazy. To a point I can barely give it gas that point. Now my emissions came on and I saw the code on hondata picture below. 3 weeks ago I put brand new oem spark plugs. They are gapped to 0.28. And 2 weeks ago I put this deatschWerks 340lph fuel pump in and I think this when all this started. I think I datalogged it correctly. Please help! What you guys think ? And for some reason I canā€™t upload the datalog from my iPhone so Iā€™m gonna have to upload later today from my laptop.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_6981

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you upload a log put it into a .zip file so you can attach it to your post.

It would also be nice if you could add your car to this thread (instructions and format are in the first post). Having your car in the thread and seeing your setup would help.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hopefully I recorded this correctly itā€™s my first time messing with this stuff.

Attachments

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When you upload a log put it into a .zip file so you can attach it to your post.

It would also be nice if you could add your car to this thread (instructions and format are in the first post). Having your car in the thread and seeing your setup would help.
okay Iā€™ll do it now

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle 2017 Civic Type R

Total Tuned Time 20 Minutes

Total Tuned Milage 70 Miles

Tuning Device(s) Hondata Flashpro

Tunes Used Hondataā€™s flashpro tune (not sure)

Additional Engine Mods PRL HVI intake (street),
DeatschWerks 300lph Fuel Pump.

Problems/Issues On WOT 3rd to 6th above 2k RPM. The car is misfiring, bogging out, back firing crazy out the exhaust. Emission light came on P0303. I replaced my spark plugs with OEM ones 3 weeks ago. And this fuel pump I dropped in 2 weeks ago. I have 82,000 miles on my type R.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What gas do you run? I literally didn't realize you just tuned.

First off, you mentioned going WOT in gears 3-6. I recommend not going WOT in overdrive gears (5&6). You're lugging the engine.

Fuel trims are fine. Usually if your injectors are bad it will show up in out of whack fuel trims. Have your swapped your #3 coil pack with a different one to see if you still are getting the P0303?

And if this started with the new fuel pump, the issue might be there.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What gas do you run? I literally didn't realize you just tuned.

First off, you mentioned going WOT in gears 3-6. I recommend not going WOT in overdrive gears (5&6). You're lugging the engine.

Fuel trims are fine. Usually if your injectors are bad it will show up in out of whack fuel trims. Have your swapped your #3 coil pack with a different one to see if you still are getting the P0303?

And if this started with the new fuel pump, the issue might be there.
Thank you for checking that out for me. I run 93. Letā€™s say Iā€™m on the highway which most of the times going and coming from work I am. When I merge I have to give it some gas and thatā€™s when I always experience the problem 3rd gear going above 2k RPM thatā€™s when everything gets crazy. I shift into 4th give it some gas and the same issues etc etc into the rest of the gears. I have not done that yet I will do it tonight to see if I get a different code or not. And yes started a week after the fuel pump install. So thatā€™s definitely on my mind and Iā€™m ready to swap back to the oem one if swapping the coil pack doesnā€™t work. I just hope my fuel basket or any other parts there arenā€™t contaminated with anything. Didnā€™t know swapping the pump would cause all these issues I would have never done it.

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I imagine reactance has a part in many regulars not taking 5 minutes to post their car's status. In my case it was a mix of wanting to have all the details before sharing, & shame of my car continuing to fail rebuild after rebuild.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
Sponsored