The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The knock control issue could be as simple as needing better gas. Maybe try a different (busy) station.The fact it drops down to .49 eventually is good. As far as the code, this is what I found. It's a cold start idle issue:

"The P050D code can result from a number of different problems. For example, if the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is malfunctioning, it may result in this problem due to issues with the vehicle in question detecting what is and is not a cold start. Other malfunctioning engine pieces, such as fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, plug boots, and ignition coils, can also result in this problem, as can problems with the wiring and connectors attached to these areas. A vacuum leak or intake system leak can also cause insufficient fuel delivery or insufficient fuel pressure, leading to a problem with the air/fuel ratio."

If you can, go ahead and post up a datalog (in a .zip file for posting). Start the datalog at start up and do about 25 minutes of driving with a pull mixed in, if possible.

How many total miles do you have on the car?
Sponsored

Last edited:

r0b0yt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Coupe, '98 Integra GS-R Hatch
Country flag
The knock control issue could be as simple as needing better gas. Maybe try a different (busy) station.The fact it drops down to .49 eventually is good. As far as the code, this is what I found. It's a cold start idle issue:

"The P050D code can result from a number of different problems. For example, if the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is malfunctioning, it may result in this problem due to issues with the vehicle in question detecting what is and is not a cold start. Other malfunctioning engine pieces, such as fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, plug boots, and ignition coils, can also result in this problem, as can problems with the wiring and connectors attached to these areas. A vacuum leak or intake system leak can also cause insufficient fuel delivery or insufficient fuel pressure, leading to a problem with the air/fuel ratio."

If you can, go ahead and post up a datalog (in a .zip file for posting). Start the datalog at start up and do about 25 minutes of driving with a pull mixed in, if possible.

How many total miles do you have on the car?
My buddy bought his 2017 Si used. He ended up needing fuel injectors ~70-80K. They were clogged up and didn't look healthy at all. I'd probably chalk this up to poor/low fuel quality from the previous owner(s), but DI engines having issues with buildup isn't exactly a secret.

He was having issues with Kcon and other things intermittently that went away with new injectors.

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Plus (UKDM 1.5T 6MT)

Total tuned time: 1.5 Years

Tuned miles driven: 10,000ish

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (Map 3 most of the time)

Fuel used: Regular 95 fuel from whatever fuel station I'm at (UK 95 is equivalent to US 91)

Additional related mods: Nothing Yet

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Daily driver, sensible most of the time, occasionally not so sensible

Tune experience notes: Great so far, nice noticeable bump in power and more importantly no more rev hang! Haven't really experimented all that much with the various configuration options available. My future performance plans are a few simple bolt ons and a custom tune to make the most of the car without going over the top.
Update Time!

Vehicle
: 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatchback (UKDM 1.5T 6MT)

Total tuned time: ~3 Years

Tuned miles driven: ~15,000 (My original post stated 10,000 but realistically it was closer to 7,000, I've basically doubled my tuned mileage since then)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 (Map 3 most of the time)

Fuel used: Regular 95 fuel from whatever fuel station I'm at (UK 95 is equivalent to US 91)

Additional related mods: Nothing Yet, Maybe getting an intake in the near future.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Daily driver, sensible most of the time, occasionally not so sensible

Tune experience notes: Continues to be a pretty much faultless experience, enjoying the experience very much, this sort of power output should have come from the factory honestly.

General Notes/Plans: Car has just been a tool for me for the past while now and I haven't been doing a whole lot to it other than regular maintenance. Looking to put a bit more into it this year though I continue to be hesitant to do anything else on the power front due to being a hatchback with the weaker rods. Honestly I am pretty much happy with the power output as it stands. Will probably put more focus into handling and cosmetics. (Though mods of any kind tend to be very expensive for me due to the fact pretty much everything needs to be imported from the States)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the thread has been slow with virtually no new cars added. Yes, I have considered walking away from the forum due to big-time frustration. But giving more thought I'd like to keep this thread open, and hopefully, we'll start seeing some cars added. I just need to not take the lack of interest personally, it's more of a slowdown in activity and interest forum-wide unfortunately.

Current thread stats (as of 2/6/24)

General stats

Total tuned cars submitted: 1,268
Non-Si 562; Si 540; Type R 122; 2.0 NA 44
Sedan 613; Hatchback 432; Coupe 223
Manual trans 838 (66%); CVT 430 (34%)
Total reported tuned miles: 23,569,850
Car with most tuned miles: 139,000

Major failure stats
Cars with major drivetrain failures: 48 (3.8%)
Failures by model: Si 19; Non-Si 26; 2.0 NA 1; CTR 2
Highest fail rate: 1.5T hatchbacks: 5.5% (17 of 308)
Failures by tune type: Base 14; OTS 15; Custom 19*
Failure rate: OTS 2.4%; Base 3.8%; Custom: 7.1%
Engine failures: Si 12; Non-Si 19; 2.0 NA 0; CTR 2
Transmission failures: CVT 8; Manual 7

Device usage stats
Hondata used for tuning: 286; Race (252) Carb (34)
KTuner used for tuning: 1,029; V1.2 (559) V2 (470)
Other devices: JB4 4; RaceChip 6; Motec 4; Cobb 1
Usage rate: KTuner 78%; Hondata 21%; Other 1%

Tune type stats
Currently custom tuned cars: 274 (22%)
Currently OTS tuned cars: 619 (49%)
Currently base tuned cars: 375 (29%)

Tune usage stats
Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (443)
Other popular OTS tunes: Phearable 1.5 (254);
Phearable 1.5R (127); TSP Stage 1+ (78);
TSP Stage 2 (39); Phearable 2.5 (34)
Phearable OTS revision tunes: 26
Cars on custom flex fuel tunes: 73

Fuel usage stats
Users running 93 octane: 663 (52%)
Users running 91 octane: 445 (35%)
Other octanes used: 160 (13%)
Octane booster used: 25 (2%)
Users topping off with E85: 141 (11%)
Flex fuel kits installed: 170 (13%)

Bolt on stats
No bolt ons added: 316 (25%)
Bolt ons added (not FBO): 685 (54%)
Cars with full bolt ons: 267 (21%)

Related mod stats
Cold air intake installed: 627 (50%)
Short ram intake installed: 140 (11%)
Upgraded intercooler installed: 489 (39%)
Upgraded charge pipes: 193 (16%)
Aftermarket downpipe installed: 460 (36%)
Aftermarket frontpipe installed: 327 (25%)
Aftermarket exhaust installed: 411 (32%)

Upgraded RMM installed: 163 (12%)
Upgraded flywheel installed: 99 (11%)
Upgraded clutch installed: 191 (22%)
Upgraded CMC installed: 37 (4%)
Catch can installed: 87 (7%)
Oil or trans cooler installed: 44 (4%)
Upgraded fuel pump installed: 35 (3%)
Aftermarket intake manifold: 14 (1%)

Upgraded radiator installed: 29 (2%)
Aftermarket BOV installed: 35 (3%)
Upgraded head studs installed: 48 (4%)
Upgraded turbo inlet pipe: 176 (14%)
Turbo blanket installed: 38 (3%)
4 bar MAP sensor installed: 15 (1%)
Upgraded turbo installed: 146 (12%)
Cars with built engines: 21

Tuned miles stats
Under 10,000 tuned miles driven: 445
10,000-25,000 tuned miles driven: 510
25,001-40,000 tuned miles driven: 184
40,001-60,000 tuned miles driven: 73
60,001-75,000 tuned miles driven: 33
75,001-100,000 tuned miles driven: 15
Over 100,000 tuned miles driven: 8

Last edited:

r0b0yt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the thread has been slow with virtually no new cars added. Yes, I have considered walking away from the forum due to big-time frustration. But giving more thought I'd like to keep this thread open, and hopefully, we'll start seeing some cars added. I just need to not take the lack of interest personally, it's more of a slowdown in activity and interest forum-wide unfortunately.
Don't let it get you down homie. Couple years outside of the vehicle being manufactured, that should be more-or-less expected.

In a couple-few more years the price of the cars will fall and more people are likely to get into them and this information will still be beneficial.

Keep up the great work, you're a rockstar!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't let it get you down homie. Couple years outside of the vehicle being manufactured, that should be more-or-less expected.

In a couple-few more years the price of the cars will fall and more people are likely to get into them and this information will still be beneficial.

Keep up the great work, you're a rockstar!
I appreciate that. And I definitely understand that a large part of the original core group here has moved on. I've run forums since the late 90's. What's frustrating for me is that I'll try to help a current tuned forum member with an issue and ask them to consider adding their car to this thread. And they don't.

I know it shouldn't bother me because it's just the way people are these days, but still.

As far as new update posts for current members, all they need to do is add a post once or twice a year with tuned miles driven updates and any mod or tunes changes. And it's especially relevant to post whether they've had any issues.

In the perfect world this thread would be filled with constant updates. But I am grateful for the small group like you that does see the importance of the thread. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

r0b0yt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
because it's just the way people are these days, but still.

There's definitely a certain callousness and selfishness these days...I feel you.

This is highly unrelated, but I feel this same sense playing world of warcraft recently. I picked it up for the first time in a long time as some meaningful changes were made to the original variation. Anyway, the point being that in a MMO game, the idea is typically to band together with your fellow adventurers to get things done...well, people don't share that ideology anywhere near as much as they used to. They're so concerned only with what benefits them in the here/now/immediately, that it is spoiling the game play experience for the community as a whole.

This is a somewhat similar situation to receiving assistance from what this forum has to offer, and then, selfishly, not taking 10 minutes to add their information so the community at large benefits.

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: around 2 weeks

Tuned miles driven: less than 150

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: OTS Dual 19 / 23psi

Fuel used: 93 oct

Additional related mods: MAPerformance intake.

Problems/issues: None \ Issue after installing intake.

Driving style: Normal driving with occasional sprints when coming into the highway, don't drive it everyday to work, with a commute of around 15min with barely no stop-n-go traffic.

Tune experience notes: Car feels more snappier and responsive with Early spool, Throttle Response II, Aggressive Ramp II and Rev-Hang disabled. Ran into fuel trim and AFR issues after installing MAPerformance intake... SFTFB would start to creep up as soon as any type of load was applied to engine and AFR's spiking the 15s under load.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car. As you rack up tuned miles, add mods or change tunes, add a new update post from time to time. :thumbsup:

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Latest update, I’m back on phearable’s 2.5 since I’ve found a semi-close ethanol station. Total time on the 2.5 tune is about 25k, still on map 2 99% of the time though. I ran map 3 for a few days recently and noticed I’m having some high rpm lockout on it, I’m still running the unmodified cmc so that’s probably why. No injector or head gasket issues to report.
30k on Phearable’s 2.5, I’ve been running on map 3 the past 3k miles or so. E30 50% of the time, 92oct the other 50%. Adjusting the clutch pedal was enough to get the lockout to go away, and I think putting inserts into my type R motor mount helped also. Starting to get mildly concerned about my fuel trims, my ltft is hovering around -10 to -13. Might be one of my injectors starting to go.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Feel free to post up a datalog (.kdlg in a zip file).

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks! This is one when I started to notice it creeping up. I'll take a fresh one on my way to work tonight.

Attachments

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing on that log indicates a real problem with the injectors. I mean, yes, you're running a bit on the rich side but there was nothing I saw that was a glaring issue and no misfires. Of course that log looks like it's from last August and things can change.

Also when you do a log, mix in some stop and go and a pull along with some cruising.

Last edited:

PearlSiR

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si coupe k20c4 swap
Country flag
Vehicle: k20c4 Swap 2019 Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 years on swapped engine. 1 year 1.5 turbo engine 1 year untouched more or less.

Total tuned mileage: 40k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata flash pro

Tunes used: custom street tunes from a friend of mine. Used to use dyno tune from fk8td

Fuel used: E30 mixture

Additional engine mods: swapped with a k20c4 engine from an accord.
Greddy charge pipes and intercooler kit
Catless downpipe
Turbo inlet with prl short ram
Custom -6 fuel system with return line
Ported fuel rail and high pressure fuel line
Upgraded dtent springs on trans with ctr hybrid racing shift cables.

Problems/issues: modified the accord harness to fit the si ecu but made it a few inches too short for one of the plugs. Got to extend and weather proof it. Car doesnt drive at the moment. Just put its 3rd engine into the car.

Driving style: Aggressive but at times mild. Digs and rolls on the street. Occasionally drive for errands or shows