The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to vent but man, it's like pulling teeth getting people to add their tuned cars here. Basically, if I see someone post that they're tuned, I send them a personal message telling them about the thread and asking them to add their car. Once in a while I get a nice reply back from people thanking me for letting them know about the thread. Most of the time I get doodly squat back.

Here's the depressing numbers. Out of the last 100 PMs I've sent, 88 didn't add their car or even reply back as to why they won't add their car. Look, I'm grateful to the 12 people that did but man oh man, I just wonder if all this work is worth the aggravation.

People say it's a good thread yet it's so hard to get people onboard. I still think it's a worthwhile thread even with the super low participation.
Sponsored

Sunbeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry to vent but man, it's like pulling teeth getting people to add their tuned cars here. Basically, if I see someone post that they're tuned, I send them a personal message telling them about the thread and asking them to add their car. Once in a while I get a nice reply back from people thanking me for letting them know about the thread. Most of the time I get doodly squat back.

Here's the depressing numbers. Out of the last 100 PMs I've sent, 88 didn't add their car or even reply back as to why they won't add their car. Look, I'm grateful to the 12 people that did but man oh man, I just wonder if all this work is worth the aggravation.

People say it's a good thread yet it's so hard to get people onboard. I still think it's a worthwhile thread even with the super low participation.
156 pages of people's personal experiences, your efforts are 150% been helpful to me and thousands of others on the forums. The stats you compile alone is work no one else would have probably done. As soon as I drive off the rest of my tank filled with 87 I got you!

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Not to mention the quick responses to random canadian dudes at STUPID o'clock am about random tune questions and other mod stuff.
I claim to be passionate about this generation of civic.

I'm beer league buddy.

You're NHL.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT

Total tuned time: 4 months

Tuned miles driven: 6,000

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: TSP stage 1

Fuel used: 93 Ultra

Additional related mods: Custom 3” exhaust, Rv6 catted downpipe & frontpipe combo, PRL intercooler, PRL silicone hose / AEM filter combo.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Grandpa with occasional hard pulls

Tuning experience notes: Started out running the Hondata 6psi but learned of the TSP tune that was more aggressive so i decided to try it and I stay on Map 3 all the time. (Which is the only one for Hondata Users) the tune is great but heat really kills it. I did a full service at 40,000 miles before uploading the tune. I.e Transmission fluid, Spark plugs, oil, blinker fluid (lol) etc so I’d have a fresh starting point for the increased stress on the car. I have reflashed a few times because oddly the tune seems to slowly die out so to speak. For the first few hundred miles on the tune it’s very quick but after about a month on the tune it seems to loose it’s pep. Overall glad I decided to tune and would probably go for more a aggressive tune if I didn’t have the damn CVT.

DA68133A-A5BA-4226-AB26-EBDE37943F16.jpeg

057A3368-AB61-4C13-969C-0E8FF4A839BB.jpeg

A2052288-E7AF-483B-9536-9596E998CEDB.jpeg

EFB80897-9F01-4B54-BC91-940063BDEF55.jpeg
Love your car man really dig the diffuser

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Here's a final update for me. I traded the car in last week. They said it was the 3rd highest mileage of that Civic in Honda NA records. I still got $14,000 for the car in this messed up market.

Vehicle: 2017 Hatchback Sport , 149,300 miles driven

Total tuned time: 4.5 years

Total tuned mileage: 139,000

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner

Tunes used: Custom self tune, +3 timing or so 22PSI

Fuel used: 93

Additional engine mods: K&N filter

Problems/issues: nothing related to the tune or engine besides a PCV line that broke at 80k

Driving style: 32MPG city 37MPG highway, rev it out a couple times a day

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for all your updates the past two years. You are our #1 tuned mileage car. What car did you trade for?

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Thank you for all your updates the past two years. You are our #1 tuned mileage car. What car did you trade for?
No problem, thanks for accumulating all the info!

With all the driving I do lately I decided to try the Insight. Im actually loving it so far. Packed full of features compared to the '17 Sport, and just as engaging to drive, somehow, with the battery and EV mode.

I will miss the passing power, but I'm just big chillin in the Insight now, its quite nice. I might have to upgrade to a V8 finally in my 240sx, however :D

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20210609_211510

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 EX-L Hatchback (CVT)

Total tuned time: 1 day

Tuned miles driven: 50 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner v1.2.

Tunes used: Currently trying the 21 dual tune, but already plan on installing my Phearable 1.5 tune down the road.

Fuel used: Shell 93 or Circle-K 93 (was using 87 prior to tuning but emptied tank and put 93 in for today).

Additional related mods: K&N Air filter

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mixed highway and city driving, accelerating slowly unless I have to merge or pass someone. Otherwise I try to be tame.

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car, and my first tune ever. The process of tuning itself was a bit confusing until I watched some YouTube videos and read Ktuner's guide. Once I figured out what I was doing, it was a very simple process to load the tune in. I do intend on exploring the software more and maybe modify some of the base tunes. It is incredible how much tuning has woken up my Civic, it was already a fast car in my eyes but after a tune, it's like a whole new car.

Last edited:

Naujftp

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
A month tuned now without issue sitting at 1800 miles. I’ve added a prl stage one drop in and hose, and a bms intercooler. Also, some acuity shifter upgrades. Man it feels better shifting!
C377493C-75B9-4410-8CD0-86239B3B78C6.jpeg
6FB0A301-71F2-4D40-93DA-6E8D5F6296E0.jpeg
Currently running map 2 of phearable 1.5.

How do you like that intercooler ?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2018 EX-L Hatchback

Tuning experience notes: This is my first car, and my first tune ever. The process of tuning itself was a bit confusing until I watched some YouTube videos and read Ktuner's guide. Once I figured out what I was doing, it was a very simple process to load the tune in. I do intend on exploring the software more and maybe modify some of the base tunes. It is incredible how much tuning has woken up my Civic, it was already a fast car in my eyes but after a tune, it's like a whole new car.
Thanks for joining in and adding your car. Post updates from time to time if you can. :thumbsup:

magshell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (CVT)

Total tuned time: 21 months

Tuned miles driven: ~4,000

Current mileage: 35,000 miles (bought used at 30,000)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1; KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments

Fuel used: Shell 91

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Intake, PRL Cobra Race CAI, PRL Intercooler + Pipes, RV6 Catted DP

Problems/issues: Easily reach 1.09 KC value on a single WOT with artificial knock disabled

Driving style: Mostly city driving with ~10min trips. Aggressive WOTs on highway ramp/merging. Get 21mpg

Tuning experience notes: Been on TSP most of the time but recently switched to KTuner 21 for the artificial knock control. Tried adjusting MAF voltages to decrease my LTFT from -10 but just made it worse so I gave up.

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport (6MT)

Total tuned time: 26 months

Tuned KM driven: ~15,000 (~9500 miles)

Current mileage: ~38,000 KM (Bought new)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments (20 months), Phearable 1.5 (6 months)

Fuel used: Shell V-Power 91 (I added 0.25 cup of Boostane in my tank to increase Octane since I started using Phearable 1.5 but recently stopped this after seeing a comment from DRob and John Vega saying that it isn't good for some internal components)

Additional related mods: PRL Race MAF SRI, and will be adding PRL FP/DP combo with Greddy DDR exhaust in the coming weeks

Problems/issues: Easily reach 0.7-0.8 in WOT (shifting before 5000RPM). Knock Control also increases slowly when at constant higher throttle (more than 50% for a few seconds. I use map3 of the Phearable tune often enough but I am mostly on map1)

Driving style: Mostly city driving with 5-10min trips. Occasional aggressive WOTs on highway ramp/merging. Occasional weekend joyrides (1-2h moderately aggressive drive) Get 8.5-9.5L/100km (24-27mpg)

Tuning experience notes: I used KTuner Dual for over a year and it was very easy to use. I switched to Phearable 1.5 in December 2020 and absolutely love it. I will also be using GOD mode (occasionally) when I have my exhaust setup installed. This is my first car and my tuning experience has been very pleasant. My only worry is that I find my knock control increases often, but I mostly always manage to get it back at mid 50s to 0.49.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to get another Phearable user in the thread. It's a fantastic and super smooth tune.

ofrie32

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Nice to get another Phearable user in the thread. It's a fantastic and super smooth tune.
It is indeed. I would like to increase my octane level since I use the absolute minimum required as per phearable (91 octane). Unfortunately, I do not have access to ethanol gas (E85) in my region (this is why I used Boostane). What would be the best way to increase my octane level, at least to 93, without using ethanol gas?
Sponsored