The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated Post: 771349

Vehicle: 2017 - Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 4 years

Total tuned mileage: 71k miles tuned / 25k untuned

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 / Tunerview

Tunes used: Ktuner base map / TSP Stg 1 / Now TSP Stg 1+ map 3

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94

Additional engine mods: 27won RMM, Intake / PRL Catless DP, FP / Bullboost catch-can

Other mods : Slotted R1 Concept Geomet Rotor , EBC Yellow stuff , Goodridge SS Brake lines
Acuity Esco-T6 Satin Red , Short trow Adapter , Spring & Boot Collar

Suspension mods : Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar & Accord Ends Link , Whiteline Performance Lowering Spring , Anti-Lift Kit

Problems/issues : 2 years ago, at 55k miles had some problem. First I got p0172 and p0302 in the same time. Flashed back it to stock and my dealer took care of me. They ended up changing cams, head motor and injector on warranty (maybe my extended warranty help a bit + the additive they add on my oil change have an warranty to ). I know since day 1 my motor was leaking between the motor head and the plastic cover + 1 years of oil dilution with a cold winter here so this didn't help. After the repair, the motor was insane and he was better then when I bough it new. Fuel trim like a charm on tsp 1+. Next problem it's the condenser now I'm on my 3rd a/c fixing problem. Honda didn't ask anything and changed it 2 times so now I'm on the second revision and I hope it's the good one.

Driving style: Like everyone except not WOT under 3k RPM

Tuning experience notes: My first car I bought and tuned, Very impressed with this little 1.5t. When I bought this car I never thought I will tuned it but I don't regret anything. Each mods I do on this car make me appreciate it even more. The fuel consumption for this power no one can beat it. Next , it's time to saw the real potential of it and start lapping next summer !

Thx to this community to help me on this build.

My futur plan his to have a full build motor and only do lapping with it or take it for souper in the weekend

Enjoy and Have Fun !
I feel the same way too! My stock clutch never burned up as well
I just upgraded just to be sure. My stock clutch held up even when I a w1 turbo and flex.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Metal ...

Congrats on 100,000 miles. :thumbsup:

techguy124

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback EX
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 honda civic hatchback ex

Total tuned time: 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 40k

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner v2

Tunes used: custom 93 octane tune when I had 27won w1 turbo now on phearable stage 1.5 tune

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional related mods: 27won CAI 27won turbo inlet pipe.

Problems/issues: had recurring limp mode issues when I had the 27won turbo after removing it I found it was a broken evap sensor wire. other than that no issues until recently started having sputtering issues which I'm trying to figure out now.

Driving style: normal driving but will get on it on an open road.

Tune experience notes: phearable tune feels pretty close to the custom W1 tune

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, if you can, try to add a new update post at least once a year (or anytime something changes with your setup). Even if nothing else has changed, it's important to show your additional tuned miles driven. That's one of the most important stats in terms of tuning reliability.

Right now problem free tuned miles are seriously under-reported. Most people add their cars and even though they may have been tuned another couple years, never add an update post with their additional miles driven. That's why on average we're only showing about 16,000 tuned miles per car. The actual number is much higher.

And remember, never update by editing or changing your original post, do updates as new posts only. Sorry to be a pain by always harping on this. But I need your help to make the thread as good and as accurate as it can be. Thanks.

ThatCivicAt3AM

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sedan 2.0 CVT, 2020 Civic Hatch 1.5 CVT
Country flag
Just purchased a 1.5t hatchback CVT , love the car. Really want to bump up the power but reliability is my top concern.

What's the best way to go? Big thanks

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a tuned 1.5T CVT. After years of studying tune reliability, going with a basically no bolt on setup and just adding an OTS tune has proven the most reliable way to go. The popular OTS tunes from TSP and Phearable are even safer than the base tunes because they are torque limited down low.

Hatchbacks do have slightly weaker rods but the setup I'm describing will be nice and reliable. Do timely maintenance, use quality gas and don't constantly drive it like you stole it and you'll be good. Once tuned you'll realize how bad the stock Honda tune really is. It's night and day.

My personal setup: A KTuner V2 with the Phearable 1.5R tune uploaded. The tune is so amazingly smooth --- it's how it should have come from the factory. You'll have better throttle response, less lag and more power everywhere.

Last edited:

ThatCivicAt3AM

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a tuned 1.5T CVT. After years of studying tune reliability, going with a basically no bolt on setup and just adding an OTS tune has proven the most reliable way to go. The popular OTS tunes from TSP and Phearable are even safer than the base tunes because they are torque limited down low.

Hatchbacks do have slightly weaker rods but the setup I'm describing will be nice and reliable. Do timely maintenance, use quality gas and don't constantly drive it like you stole it and you'll be good. Once tuned you'll realize how bad the stock Honda tune really is. It's night and day.

My personal setup: A KTuner V2 with the Phearable 1.5R tune uploaded. The tune is so amazingly smooth --- it's how it should have come from the factory. You'll have better throttle response, less lag and more power everywhere.
Thanks for that insight. Btw been looking into cvt coolers What are your thoughts on them? it reaches up to 98° Where I live.

ThatCivicAt3AM

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for that insight. Btw been looking into cvt coolers What are your thoughts on them? it reaches up to 98° Where I live.
Also regarding the weaker rods is there anything that can/ should be done? I'm new to all of this lmao

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Read this thread and others I've written. Plus there are plenty more here written by others. I sense a bit of nervousness on your part so unless you're comfortable with the risk/reward of tuning you may want to stay stock.

But --- unless you're really pushing power or doing a custom ethanol blend tune, you'll be ok driving non-abusively, weaker rods or not. No 100% guarantees though.

softcelery666

First Name
KS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Touring Sedan (CVT)

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 800 km

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner Stage 1 basemap, Dual Starter Basemap

Fuel used: Any 91 (no 93 avaliable in my province)

Additional related mods: None yet (Considering PRL Cobra CAI and Mishimoto Intercooler)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: At least 1 short pull every trip. Mostly I drive like a grandma. Occasional midnight drives with multiple pulls. 90% highway driving.

Tune experience notes: It's like a different car. I rarely need to push past 2500 rpm to get up to speed and it feels smooth and efficient. Definitely highlights the need for upgraded suspension/ braking though.

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 800 km

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner Stage 1 basemap, Dual Starter Basemap

Fuel used: Any 91 (no 93 avaliable in my province)

Additional related mods: None yet (Considering PRL Cobra CAI and Mishimoto Intercooler)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: At least 1 short pull every trip. Mostly I drive like a grandma. Occasional midnight drives with multiple pulls. 90% highway driving.

Tune experience notes: It's like a different car. I rarely need to push past 2500 rpm to get up to speed and it feels smooth and efficient. Definitely highlights the need for upgraded suspension/ braking though.

Total tuned time: 1 month, 1 week

Tuned miles driven: 6800 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: KTuner Stage 1 basemap (500 km) Dual Starter Basemap (5300 km), Phearable 1.5R (1000 km)

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94 OCT

Additional related mods: None yet

Problems/issues: Base Tune felt like it was lugging the engine after a cold start in winter conditions. No such issue with Phearable.

Driving style: A lot. Pretty gently all things considered.

Tune experience notes: Phearable is a different animal. Feels wild and unchained. The power delivery is unbelievably smooth.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
D-Rob is an amazing tuner and his TSP1 tune for the Non-Si is outstanding. But John Vega's @phearable 1.5R Non-Si tune is out of this world good. A nearly perfect OTS tune. Congrats on the new tune and thanks for the new post.

Last edited:

RedeyeRalleye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3 SI
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 22 Months

Tuned miles driven: 50k kms

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner starter 21(10k), Phearable 1.5 map 3(20k), phearable 1.5 revision for bolt ons

Fuel used: Shell 93/No name top tier 93

Additional related mods: Hybrid racing shifter, RMM insert, bms intake/maf housing, bms IC only, comp clutch stg2 sprung with 22lb smfw, cdv delete

Problems/issues: hard to be smooth on slow shifts with the comp clutch, even with a varex racing cmc/ss line(oem blew internally after 20k with the clutch.)
Throttle tip in/low speed fuelling is still jerky as heck in 1st

Driving style: Granny driving for careful warmups but then speedy on the HWY. I WOT frequently but only when fully warm and over 3k rpm, with a careful cool down after spirited driving. 90% of my mileage is from my 160km all highway round trip daily commute.

Tune experience notes: Phearable revision runs great with my mods, haven't had any heatsoak with btb wots.
KC hit .55-.7 on hot days on 91 octane, does not move from .49 with 93 now no matter what I do.
Fuel economy sits around 6.4L/100km.
Stft/ltft very reactive to ambient temp, Rarely up to +/- 7%.
Flat foot shifts are fun, but rev hang is unfortunately required on the 20+s for normal driving.
Minor fuel dilution but still <1% at its worst in the winter according to oil analysis

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for adding your car, @RedeyeRalleye. What's your knock control look like running 91 on the 1.5 tune?
Sponsored

Last edited: