The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
Updating after almost 2 years.

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 2 months —> 2 years

Tuned miles driven: 15,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2 w/ TunerView. It’s not super fancy and it’s laggy but it provides you the numbers when you have questions about fuel trips, AFR, temperatures, etc. much better than having an exposed Ktuner imo

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 -> 1.5R

Fuel used: 93

Additional mods: PRL Race CAI, AWE Catback, PRL Catted downpipe

—> Added RV6 flywheel/exedy stage 0 kit. Essentially a type R retrofit. Also added kzCMC and PRL clutch line.

Problems/issues:

0 issues except that when going from 1.5 —> 1.5R my clutch started to slip. I continued to daily it for over a year that way but it did limit spirited driving and no track. Obviously not a reliability issue. Just crappy stock clutch.

I can’t recommend RV6 flywheel enough. RV6 claims stage stage 0 should hold as much power as the stock fueling would allow. Feels OEM+ and so much more responsive. Downshifting is a dream. 1 —> 2 Shift can be done faster now and it feels more natural.

Driving style: Spirited driving, the occasional pulls. Have tracked the car twice.

Tuning experience notes: Tuning was incredibly simple to do as someone who had never done it before.
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome update and thanks for all the info. So helpful. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OTS tune observations

Back in 2018, TSP introduced their D-Rob designed Stage 1 tune. And it's proven wildly popular. 406 owners in the thread have used that tune, including me. It was a huge upgrade over the base tunes.

Two years later in 2020, Phearable (John Vega) joined here to promote his company's 1.5 tune for the Si and Non-Si. To be honest, I wasn't familiar with his stuff and being loyal to TSP/D-Rob, I was reluctant to try his tune. But when I finally did I was amazed that his tune felt more refined than D-Rob's.

223 owners in the thread have flashed the Phearable 1.5 which is pretty darn good considering TSP's tune had a two year head start.

More recently TSP and Phearable released their newer versions of those tunes at about the same time. And more people in the thread are going for the Phearable 1.5R (83) versus the TSP 1+ (66) tune.

We're lucky to have so many great OTS tunes for our cars. D-Rob and J Vega are tune magicians.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First Post! Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4
Update 5
Update 6

I feel like this needs a quick update and new chapter now as against my better judgement, I installed a flex fuel unit and am now running TSP Stage 2 (map 1) officially after buying a kit during black friday. I'm gonna be closing the door on non-flex fuel tunes and calling it a win in stability granted the car hasn't blown up after multiple track days running TSP Stage 1 and TSP Stage 1+. I don't think I'll have the balls to run flex fuel on track but will be running it on my boring day to day life.

Vehicle: 2019 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: May/June 2019 - December 1, 2022 > TSP Stage 2

Total tuned mileage: 32,000 miles on TSP Stage 1 & Stage 1+ (36,000 on the ODO) 0 miles on TSP Stage 2

Tuning device(s) used: K-Tuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 2

Fuel used: Chevron 91 + 4 gallons of E85 (first fill up!)

Additional engine mods: K&N SRI Typhoon intake / Mishimoto Intercooler + piping kit / Mishimoto Oil Catch can / GReddy GPP DD-R Resonated exhaust.

Problems/issues: Moderate clutch slipping, running map 1 for now although I am not flooring it as much anymore.

Driving style: Day to day driving in stop and go traffic, nothing has changed since last update at the track.

Fingers crossed, hope I'm not pushing my luck on this one.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1670397525809

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1670397546697

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Knowing you mostly just conservatively daily the car, you should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

aegeanblu915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
How easy it is to adjust for parts being added after you load the Phearable 1.5R tune, or will you need a custom tune each time you add something? Is it possible to go into the settings and just select the CAI you have and be done? Ex. You load the tune on an all stock vehicle and decide to buy a CAI w Race MAF a few months down the road

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
How easy it is to adjust for parts being added after you load the Phearable 1.5R tune, or will you need a custom tune each time you add something? Is it possible to go into the settings and just select the CAI you have and be done? Ex. You load the tune on an all stock vehicle and decide to buy a CAI w Race MAF a few months down the road
https://www.phearable.net/tuning-software/10thgencivic/civic-si-stage-1.5r.html

It depends on what you're add.

Phearable 1.5R really only needs to know your intake. If you get a "race" intake then it will cause air-to-fuel ratio problems unless you select the race option. But if you get a street version of the intake you'll be fine.

So in your situation, I would just buy a street CAI. Or wait and buy both at the same time to get the race CAI + race version of Pherable 1.5R

Adding things like a DP, exhaust, IC, new clutch, etc. You'll be fine

softcelery666

First Name
KS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
https://www.phearable.net/tuning-software/10thgencivic/civic-si-stage-1.5r.html

It depends on what you're add.

Phearable 1.5R really only needs to know your intake. If you get a "race" intake then it will cause air-to-fuel ratio problems unless you select the race option. But if you get a street version of the intake you'll be fine.

So in your situation, I would just buy a street CAI. Or wait and buy both at the same time to get the race CAI + race version of Pherable 1.5R

Adding things like a DP, exhaust, IC, new clutch, etc. You'll be fine
There is a MAF change service on Phearable.net. $79 I think.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Figured I'd post an update and make sure all of my engine mods are listed here:

Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual

Total tuned time: 50 months total. 6 months on built block.

Tuned miles driven: 76000+ total. 12,000+ on fully built shortblock.

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Custom DROB Flex Fuel Tune E30.

Fuel used: 91 Octane from Shell mostly. E30 during the warm months.

Oil Used: Amsoil SS 0w20, 5w30 after w1 Turbo upgrade.

Transmission Oil Used: AC Delco Friction Modified 10-4014 (Contemplating trying Redline MTL next time, but the AC Delco FM has been amazing, I just make sure to change it every 20k miles)

Additional related mods: 27Won W1 Turbo, 27Won Turbo Inlet Pipe, 27Won Intake with Race MAF, 27Won Front Mount Intercooler, 27Won Catted Downpipe, 27Won Front Pipe, 27Won Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit, Exedy Racing Lightweight Flywheel. SiriMoto N1 Clutch Master CMC and Slave Cylinder Delay Valve delete. PTP Turbo Blanket. PRL Flex Fuel Kit. Recently removed MAPeformance Oil Cooler, too much worry of oil leaks.

Shortblock specs: Shortblock from TSP, CMC, Balanced crankshaft, Brian Crower Pro H2K Rods, JE Pistons, Boundary Oil Pump Gears, ARP Headstud kit from MAPerformance.

Problems/issues: 12k miles after the rebuild and everything seems good so far. Got an oil anaylsis back from Blackstone Labs and everything is wearing as normal. I have been running 5w30 Amsoil SS since I got the w1 turbo, but all of my oil lab results have shown that the oil's viscocity has lowered to the levels of a 20 weight oil only after 5000 miles, in fact one of the labs came back thinking I was still running 0w20 oil even though I was running 5w30. They have always reported a very low amount of fuel dilution in my oil. However, Blackstone labs has apparently been known to have questionable methods of measuring fuel dillution in oil so I'm wondering if that is the reason the oil is shearing. Because of this I may switch to 0w40 SS in the warmer months and use a 0w30 in the winter months when I am not using e30 and am easier on my car. I drive my car to work (20 mins) and back every day on the freeway so it does get up to operating temp every day. Replacement w1 turbo has lasted over a year now with no problems, but I am contemplating switching to a VTT GC turbo sometime next year...

Last edited:

Los1391

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
UPDATE #3 12/08/2022

Total tuned time: 12
months
Tuned miles driven: ~ 11000 miles
Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2
Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5
Fuel used: 93 (Citgo/Gulf/BP/Mobil/Shell/Sunoco/Fuelco)
Additional related mods: PRL Short Ram Intake (Street MAF) / PRL HV DP + FP
Driving style: Casual with aggressive bursts from time to time.

Figured I give a 1 year summary of my car being tuned.

Tuning experience notes:
So it's been about a year since I've flashed my car with phearable 1.5. Overall can't complain about how the car's been ever since I tuned. Gas consumption is solid 32-34mpg. I still think that this car should have came with a tune similar to this out the factory and maybe a stronger flywheel/clutch combo (for those that had issues with slipping).

Overall there has been no issues at all throughout the year that I've been tuned. Clutch feels great and no CEL's. Only issue I had was that the valve cover gasket had to be replaced but I can't confirm nor deny that it was the tunes fault.

Thats it for update #3 for me. 🤟
Hoping everyones updates on here will help those that are on the fence about tuning their 10th gens some clarity.
At the end of the day it's all based on ones driving style and how far they want push their limits on the engine/transmission.

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Been remiss is updating this for the past few months....

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned time: 10+ months

Tuned miles driven: ~11,000 (~23,700 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Top Tier 93 Octane

Additional related mods (no changes since last update): Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27won CAI, MSD Blaster Ignition Coils, NGK Ruthenium Spark Plugs, HASport 62A Motor Mount

Problems/issues: None.

Driving style: Daily commuter.

Tuning experience notes: Recently did my third oil change (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum this time), and am waiting to send out another oil sample to Blackstone. Hoping for less fuel dilution with a more proper sample and warmer weather.

Also took the car on the longest road trip we've done (2+ hours each way) and had no issues, averaged nearly 40 MPG for the entire trip over three days. Impressive.

My main complaint about the car is just the super soft paint job and the annoying rattle from the catch can at about 2k RPM when the engine warms up.

Total tuned time: 13+ months

Tuned miles driven: ~16,300 (~29,000 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Top Tier 93 Octane

Additional related mods (no changes since last update): Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can, Mishimoto Intercooler, 27won CAI, MSD Blaster Ignition Coils, NGK Ruthenium Spark Plugs, HASport 62A Motor Mount

Problems/issues: None.

Driving style: Daily commuter.

Tuning experience notes: Last Blackstone analysis was much better thanks to a better sample. Probably done with sending oil away for a while since the oil dilution is a known issue. I will just be sure to change oil/filter every 5,000-6,000 miles and call it good.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How to add an update here ...

The best way to update is to quote your previous post and then add your current info like @2019SportHatch did in the entry above.

1. Use the forum's search engine and choose the "This Thread" dropdown option.

2. Type in your member name in the "By:" box and click the yellow "Search" button.

3. From those results, choose your last post and click on the "Reply" button.

4. Add your current info to that post under the quoted text.

With an update post like that I can easily update and revise the thread stats. Never edit and update your original or previous post.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Coupe Touring Cvt

Total tuned time: 1yr.

Tuned miles driven: 20,000 tuned at 51k, total miles 71,311.

Tunes used: OTS Ktuner w/Quick adjustments

Fuel used: Mostly Shell 93, using 91 now in OK. Fuel trims seem to be steady.

Additional related mods: PRL CAI, Megane Racing strut tower bar.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Mostly conservative, always looking for an opportunity to see what she can handle.

Tune experience notes: This is my 2nd 1.5t Civic. Never had problems with the previous one and the same holds true for this one. Ktuner FTW!

BakaSupreme

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag

Total tuned time: About 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 5,000 on stage 0 and about 100 on stage 1

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 0 Basemap and Ktuner Stage 1 Basemap (18psi)

Fuel used: Sunoco 93 Ultra but I'll use 93 elsewhere if I can't use the Sonoco

Additional related mods: PRL Intercooler w/o charge pipes, PRL cobra CAI.

Cosmetic Stuff: HRS v2 Smoked Tail lights

Problems/issues:
None

Driving style: "Spirited" driving with occasional hard pulls. Not constantly hounding the gas but I like hearing the turbo.

Tune experience notes: Stage 0 helped with the car responsiveness a lot and reduced a lot of the tutbo lag from factory. I thought I was driving a whole new car but when I moved to stage 1 it was a COMPLETELY different car. I'm using base maps right now so you can't modify them and I see now why people have a problem with rev hang. So far nothing has gone wrong and I keep up with maintenance on my car. Haven't done any track days so can't anticipate pushing so hard I'll blow my motor

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20221008_151702 - Copy

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) butt - Copy - Copy

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback

Total tuned time: 2 years 2 months

Tuned miles driven: As of 12/11/2022. 30,000
+ ~13k = TSP ~18k = Phearable

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual Starter 21 w/aggressive quick adjustments; customized TSP Stage 1; currently using Phearable's 1.5R tune

Fuel used: chevron 91 (california blend) 90% of the time, other 10% shell/76.

Additional related mods:
Boomba pcv catch can
Boomba ccv catch can
Acuity fully adjustable shifter
Acuity solid shifter cable bushings
PRL FMIC
PRL charge pipes
PRL cobra air intake
PRL titanium turbo inlet kit
rear motor mount hasport 68a
Invidia 70mm front pipe
Invidia R400 70mm exhaust
Ktuner v2
TSP tune (now Phearable)
Phearable tune
Fkx racing hex mesh grill

new mods since last post:
invidia high flow down pipe
act stage 2 clutch with 21lbs flywheel
ignition projects ignition coils
reinstalled boomba ccv catch can
switched to the hasport engine mount

waiting to install:
MAP oil cooler kit w/ap3 ac vent gauge pod
full whiteline suspension arms f&r

wishlist: arp head studs

Problems/issues: I didn't like the way the arbitrary knock adj was killing power, so I switched to phearable

occasional backfire/ momentary loss of power under seemingly arbitrary engine load and throttle position. planning on ordering spare injectors to keep on hand.

Driving style: mostly conservative around town, but will usually do several wot pulls up to the speed limit every time I drive. I do go pretty hard in the canyons when its clear/safe semi regularly. I pretty religiously baby the car when its cold, the car sees lots of idle time also.

Tuning experience notes:
Sponsored

Last edited: