PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This, and a few other statements getting thrown around here regarding fuel are far from accurate.
I highly doubt anyone is going to come out with a complete fuel system cheaper than hondata’s. Unless someone started growing magical trees that grow fuel pumps and injectors. There will continue to be developments over the years but some where saying Hondata has their Kit way overpriced which it’s quite a value as a package.

Regardless I’m eager to see more info and more developments transpire. I absolutely love the Hondata kit and being able to run E85 at 25PSI on the factory turbo. It actually impressed me more than I expected it to If I’m completely honest.
Sponsored

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
Ah, my apologies. There should be no reason for concern with the factory outlet; these cars are not and will never feasibly be high revving, and this diameter is still not a restriction at the power levels this turbocharger is capable of producing. Even if a camshaft were produced for this platform, it will still not be able to rev super high due to DI pump, oil pump, etc, not to mention that the single port cylinder head will eventually be a choke point. We're seeing this firsthand with our 1.5T while testing Bisimoto's camshafts in our 1.5T Civic.

Yes, typically the compressor outlet and charge piping routing/design are critical in transient response. However, our options are limited when working with keeping things 100% factory location. To properly increase/adjust size at the outlet would warrant for an entire compressor cover redesign, which we did not wish to do, especially for minimal, if any, gains. If we were to offer a cast outlet piece, we would need to manufacture and supply another hose and component to our kit. Keep in mind that the GT/GTX 30R's we use in our 8th/9th Gen Turbo Kits utilize cast, 2.00" OD (which ID is significantly smaller due to the cast aluminum wall thickness), and still pump out well over 600 whp, revving much higher than the FK8 CT-R platform does.

Probably doesn't help either that the turbo, regardless of what turbo you go with, has to sit in the factory location, to attach to the head. Makes me wish the car had an actual manifold so we could play with different turbo locations, which in turn could all for greater range of turbos one could use. I guess we wont be seeing a GT42R anytime soon on a CTR.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I am pushing 25PSI on E85 with the Hondata Fuel Upgrade kit so there’s no need to keep Boost down either To run straight ethanol.

The existing turbo kits will run the Hondata out of E85 range and push you back to high octane which won’t produce much more than where I am now unless i run race fuel. So the PRL drop in should be an E85 solution to allow more power and maintain E85 fuel.

More power and not maxing the Hondata Fuel system is what I’m looking at So I can maintain the E85 power and cost benefits is what I’m hoping for and answer on from @PRL.
A bigger turbo with more power is going to require much more fuel, especially with ethanol. People are lucky to get near 500hp out of their 660hp rated turbo with a blend, fbo, and a turbo kit. E-85 would max out fuel faster and yield less power.

Until we can run an XDI pump, that's actually a substantial upgrade, there's no point in trying to run E85 on a turbo kit.

Or drop $10k on a port injection setup and the sky's the limit lol

BoostedXsi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I highly doubt anyone is going to come out with a complete fuel system cheaper than hondata’s. Unless someone started growing magical trees that grow fuel pumps and injectors. There will continue to be developments over the years but some where saying Hondata has their Kit way overpriced which it’s quite a value as a package.

Regardless I’m eager to see more info and more developments transpire. I absolutely love the Hondata kit and being able to run E85 at 25PSI on the factory turbo. It actually impressed me more than I expected it to If I’m completely honest.
Your car must be amazing...I can only imagine how fast it is!!!

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m going all out the car is amazing as it sits but it sure is eager for a P600 and port. I’m finally at the point the car has exceeded my expectations and I’m excited about the future Hondata traction control is a life saver. Got the 20x10s on and better ride and traction.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
I’m going all out the car is amazing as it sits but it sure is eager for a P600 and port. I’m finally at the point the car has exceeded my expectations and I’m excited about the future Hondata traction control is a life saver. Got the 20x10s on and better ride and traction.
which 20x10 set up are you using? stock ride height?

also, I'm interested in how much the P600 caps out at. im sure as the name suggest prob around 600hp (granted you have fueling sorted+built engine) but beyond that?:hmm:

Rampage also teased their upcoming FK8/G30-770 kit..... More Power Baby!

BoostedXsi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
This is crazy...I wish I had a type r...the PRL turbo is going to make sick power...probably close to the big name turbos!!!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...p-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development-part-3/

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2219_zpsz91uvqoi

Over the past couple of seemingly long months, we have been working to perfect the turbine housing and final machining of our P600 turbocharger upgrade. Our design team has had to go back to the drawing board a few times to make sure fitment and finish could be consistent.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2198_zpsgz5wc4bs

The P600 will utilize a cast 304 stainless steel turbine housing for optimal heat control, increased strength and longevity at high temperatures.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2200_zpswrhzqjld

It was important that an adequate amount of material was left after machining and fitting the significantly larger High Efficiency Turbine Wheel into the factory location turbine housing. We wanted to make sure this turbine could be pushed without the chance of turbine housing failure, which we knew would hit home to racers running their setups to the max for extended periods of time.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2205_zpsd2z0oozh

Another obstacle we had to overcome was fitting the larger diameter shaft and ball bearing assembly into the CHRA. Quite often we hear about bearing failures and smoking with drop-in turbocharger upgrades, which is usually due to the fact that factory CHRAs were never intended to support these wheel or shaft upgrades. Our billet 304 stainless steel CHRA was completely redesigned to utilize dual ceramic ball bearings for improved durability. This turbocharger retains factory oil and coolant lines, while increasing cooling capacity with its larger water jacket.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2219_zpsz91uvqoi

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2223_zps8eokhkiu

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2211-1024x683
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2214-1024x683
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development IMG_2232_zpshtuyxsdk

Now that we have a handful of functioning prototypes in hand, our Product Development Team will be working to ensure proper fitment, performance and reliability. Once these units pass quality control, we will be releasing pricing and real-world data provided from in-house and third-party testing. Stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited:

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports forgive me if this has already been answered, but could this turbo be ran with the stock intake, intercooler, downpipe, and fuel system? I'm assuming the downpipe would have to be changed. Not after a lot more power, just want to get rid of the heat/backpressure created by the stock turbo.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports forgive me if this has already been answered, but could this turbo be ran with the stock intake, intercooler, downpipe, and fuel system? I'm assuming the downpipe would have to be changed. Not after a lot more power, just want to get rid of the heat/backpressure created by the stock turbo.
Yes, that’s the beauty of a drop in.

RealBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 & EK
Country flag
The highest torque I’ve seen is 475 torque and 544whp ultimate racing 98 octane with garret 660
Full-Race EFR Kit Hondata Fuel System 482 tq 550 whp. Q16 probably wasn't the best fuel to use here, it's oxygenated so it requires more fuel quantity, something we know this car has struggled with. Q16 is tits at high altitude, but this test was done at sea level and it probably hurt their results.
Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports P600 Honda Civic Type-R FK8 Drop-In Turbocharger Upgrade Development 1596238061802

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m cool with the update on just receiving the new prototype product and began testing on the P600 I would rather have a proven product later than a rush to market.
Sponsored