Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Mitsubishi (MHI) recently released their drop-in turbo upgrade for the 2017 to 2021 FK8 Civic Type R, and we now have these in stock!

Please note that at the moment, only the Civic Si application is CARB approved. We hope this Type R application will gain CARB approval in the near future. Until then, the MHI Type R turbo upgrade is deemed strictly for race/competition use only.

Did you know that MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) makes the OEM factory turbo for your 10th Gen Civic Type R? They are actually one of the world's premier designers and manufacturers of turbocharger units. Amazingly, they also recently started making aftermarket turbo upgrades using the same world-class manufacturing design, precision, and materials that made Honda choose them in the first place as an OEM supplier.

This MHI turbo upgrades are a high-performance, drop-in version of your factory FK8 Type R turbo. That means the installation is basically as easy as putting in another turbo from your dealer. Besides simply allowing more airflow due to upgraded compressor and turbine wheels, this MHI turbo has many other advanced features built in, such as: double hydrodynamic bearings, non-ferrous metal castings, and Inconel exhaust turbines. This turbo is made in Japan too!

The combination of OEM-quality, reliability, efficiency, and power is why we consider this MHI turbocharger to be the best overall turbo upgrade for your 10th Gen turbo Civic Type R.

Click here for more details, pics, and to purchase: https://www.procivic.com/p/m/civic/mitsubishi-turbocharger-mhi-oem-turbo-upgrade.html

Please email [email protected] for a special forum discount on this kit! :cool:

NOTE: As of now, the Type R kit is NOT CARB approved and thus is deemed strictly for competition/race use only.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - FK8 Civic Type R 1625684623026-

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - FK8 Civic Type R 1625684911258-

Honda Civic 10th gen Mitsubishi MHI Drop-In Turbo Upgrade - FK8 Civic Type R 1625684930296-

Last edited:

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't mean to be a hater, but anyone considering this turbo should watch this video in its entirety before making their purchase.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Don't mean to be a hater, but anyone considering this turbo should watch this video in its entirety before making their purchase.
Those concerns are with the 1.5T, this is posted in the FK8 forum and for the FK8. So far these issues have not been reported with the FK8, I have seen a few people running them on the FK8 and the Accord already with no issues yet.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Even though this is the FK8 turbo, might as well post my response here too (THIS RECOMMENDATION IS FOR THE L15 MOTOR - NOT THE FK8 TYPE R):

From what I know, they didn't use the correct oil. Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems they started with 0W-20 and then ended up with 15W-40. None of those oils are recommended by MHI. Just stick with 5W-30 or 10W-40. It is also possible they didn't pre-lube the turbo properly. It's just a bit unbelievable that three turbos in a row failed due to them getting defective turbos...from an OEM supplier. There are plenty of people running this setup without issue and the other shops we've spoken to that followed all the install recommendations haven't had any issues. So, I think that's what's going on here and unfortunately it's some bad press for MHI regardless.

Last edited:

Crough

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Those concerns are with the 1.5T, this is posted in the FK8 forum and for the FK8. So far these issues have not been reported with the FK8, I have seen a few people running them on the FK8 and the Accord already with no issues yet.
I appreciate your response in the other thread, and there's no use having this discussion twice. Anyone wanting to read more of this discussion, please check this thread. Read our conversation and make your own conclusions.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also wanted to let everyone know that these turbos have a 1 Year Warranty from Mitsubishi, just in case you have any remaining concerns.

Another cool thing is they come with a brand new electronic wastegate actuator, so you don't even need to take that off your factory unit.

This Type R kit comes with a new BOV as well.

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Even though this is the FK8 turbo, might as well post my response here too:

From what I know, they didn't use the correct oil. Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems they started with 0W-20 and then ended up with 15W-40. None of those oils are recommended by MHI. Just stick with 5W-30 or 10W-40. It is also possible they didn't pre-lube the turbo properly. It's just a bit unbelievable that three turbos in a row failed due to them getting defective turbos...from an OEM supplier. There are plenty of people running this setup without issue and the other shops we've spoken to that followed all the install recommendations haven't had any issues. So, I think that's what's going on here and unfortunately it's some bad press for MHI regardless.
Can people stick with 0W20 as recommended by Honda?

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Very curious on oil as well. Mine is slated to arrive next Wednesday to install in a 2020 RDX.

OP
OP
procivic

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK, so there is no official oil recommendation from MHI. However, just because most people who purchase this turbo are going to be running A LOT more power than stock (like 450+ hp), I think 5W-30 might be best (synthetic of course) to help prevent any oil burn and add some extra protection.

Last edited:

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Isn't the return line designed for 0W-20? MHI must have an oil pressure range they recommend.

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Use 0w20 if not oil line break and catch fire?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Journal bearings like high oil pressure under load ~60 psi, which is what the oil pressure is normally with 0W-20. However, when idle, too much oil pressure can cause drag. In serve cases (like a large turbo), it will cause the turbo to stop spinning, which will lead to excessive wear. In addition, if the return line is too restrictive for higher viscosity oil, the pressure will be too high idle as well.

The point is, one should measure the turbo speed and oil pressure if you change the turbo before changing oil viscosity.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I wouldn't change the oil thickness specially because basically is the same turbo but with re designed wheels, I'm running this turbo since beginning of march of this year and I haven't got any issues , flooring the car every day, ( a bunch of racing , testing and 4 dyno session ) mostly testing are done from 2 to 5th gear at WOT no lift shifting, the turbo is running at 30 to 32 psi non stop during testing.

Last edited:

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So what needs to be modified if any to run 10w40? I cant use anything slimmer than that.
Sponsored