Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Honda MTF is the most basic that the car can and will take. Using a higher grade fluid won't harm the transmission unless its too thick or just straight up the wrong fluid. Clearly you get your information out of a cereal box
Trix are for kids...
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Honda MTF is the most basic that the car can and will take. Using a higher grade fluid won't harm the transmission unless its too thick or just straight up the wrong fluid. Clearly you get your information out of a cereal box
Oh please don't get into an argument with him. For God's sake, I will even pay you!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love arguing with people though! lmfao
Well the good news is he has not been on this forum since September, so I think even he got tired of arguing with everyone

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are incorrect about Honda MTF being a 30W gear oil. Engine oil and mission oil carry different weight designations. Honda MTF is actually a 75W-80 fluid. If one were to look at a chart comparing engine and gear oil weights, they would soon realize why Honda recommended to use a 30W engine oil if the MTF was not available.
75W-80 is not the correct viscosity for transmissions with synchros, which the Civic, Civic Si and Sports Hatch (as well Accord) have in their MT's. "Gear Oil", although that is what it is technically is not the correct term for this particular transmission (Civic). Toyota Manual Transmissions (Corolla etc) use 75W-80, and that is referred to as Gear Oil, but the Civic transmissions use Synchromesh, which is 5W30. There are people that use 75W 80 in their Civic's and say it works, but long term they are probably going to damage their synchros. Honda OEM MT is also 30 weight, at least that is what Honda told me

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not what Honda Japan says, about the weight. I have used gear oil not synchromesh in my Honda transmissions for the past 2 decades and have never had an issue.

And about synchros, they have been in use in manual transmissions for quite a LONG time.
The Civic, Civic Si etc were made either in Canada, or Ohio, Honda corporate that handles customer service and gives advice to US and Canadian owners is in Torrance, CA. Honda's made in Japan may have different fluid requirements. If 75W 80 works for you, please continue using it. And lastly, yes I know about Synchros, I have been driving since the 1980's

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
how did your fluid change go?
I ain’t gonna lie, I think it feels the same. The Honda fluid was actually better in the cold then the Amsoil MTF. But in the warm weather they are about the same. So needless to say I will be going back to Honda fluid soon.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Then why did you even state transmissions used by Toyota use gear oil? Their missions also have synchros in them and yet they are listed as using 75W-80 fluid, imagine that. The fact is that 75W-80 mission oil is equivalent to either 5 or 10W-30 engine oil when both are looked at on a viscosity scale. The major difference, engine oils have markedly more additives.

Bringing up where the car is built, has zero bearing on type of fluid used. Honda MTF was developed by Honda Japan (on its 4th iteration), it is marketed in the US as a 30W fluid, Amsoil followed suit with their synchromesh fluid. The reason it was made, the brass synchros needed a special additive to not break them down.

I’m unlike most, my transmission fluid is changed more often than engine fluid because it sees much more damage in real use. In fact after every single circuit session my trans fluid was changed to fresh. If one also swaps to a proper LSD in their mission, synchromesh is garbage for it. Going to a 75W-90 fluid with a LSD inside is a must. The Johnson&Johnson helical differential has no issues with the synchromesh (75W-80 (30W marketed)) fluid.
Honda OEM MT fluid, as well as Honda factory fill oil is made and was developed by Idemitsu and some Honda branded oil is rebranded Mobile oil. Neither Honda, Toyota, GM etc manufacturer their own fluids. You are already happy using 75W80 in your MT and you say it works for you, so I don't have any issues with you using it.

I only brought up Toyota because I had a Corolla that used 75W 80 gear oil, which is thicker than synchromesh. If you go to sites like Valvoline, Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil etc and select MT fluid by car, all sites will select 5W30 synchromesh (or just synchromesh) for Honda's and 75W 80 for a car that uses it like Toyota. Personally I would go with their recommendation on selecting a fluid over opinions I have read on the internet

Last edited:

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I prefer Honda's MTF. There's a reason why Hondas are known for reliability (they know their stuff). Each has their own opinion, Honda went with this specific MTF for their own reasons which I won't question given their history of how reliability their cars are.

To add: We've all started with low post counts at one point or another. Let's not deter new users so it's not the same 20 people involved in this forum. A growing community with different opinions/ideas are always welcomed.

I've been on these forums for about a year almost daily and constantly saw people getting bashed for low post count which made me not want to sign up and post. One day I just decided to sign up and post. Sure enough, I got bashed for having an opinion because of my low post count. Having a low post does not mean you're new to car knowledge, this isn't the only car forum.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I prefer Honda's MTF. There's a reason why Hondas are known for reliability (they know their stuff). Each has their own opinion, Honda went with this specific MTF for their own reasons which I won't question given their history of how reliability their cars are.

To add: We've all started with low post counts at one point or another. Let's not deter new users so it's not the same 20 people involved in this forum. A growing community with different opinions/ideas are always welcomed.
I agree! We were all freshman at one time with low post counts, as long all members, new and old constructively contribute, everyone should have a voice. Trolls excluded :)

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
I agree! We were all freshman at one time with low post counts, as long all members, new and old constructively contribute, everyone should have a voice. Trolls excluded :)
Even the trolls get their voice. Its up to us to not get triggered. Freedom of speech for all FTW

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ain’t gonna lie, I think it feels the same. The Honda fluid was actually better in the cold then the Amsoil MTF. But in the warm weather they are about the same. So needless to say I will be going back to Honda fluid soon.
You are actually the second person out of the large number of people I have talked to that didn't have a great experience with Amsoil Synchromesh and stated that Honda OEM was the same or better. Interesting. Maybe we are drinking the wrong Kool aid? :) Glad the OEM is working for you
Sponsored