mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I am wondering if Honda MTF is that bad.

I found shifting of my SI is good. However, I do not know better since my last manual car was a 1999 Honda Prelude (sold in 2004). So, I did not drive a manual for 14 years.

Since I do believe that full-synthetic will preform better than semi-synthetic, I will go ahead to replace the MTF with Amsoil. At least I did not read any adverse effects when members here change out the MTF with Amsoil.

Are there any differences in transmission parts in Canadian SI vs other countries?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yes. The shit sucks. Im running AC delco synchromesh with friction modifiers and it shifts waaay smoother.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes. The shit sucks. Im running AC delco synchromesh with friction modifiers and it shifts waaay smoother.
Thanks.
See, I do not know better since I did not drive a manual for so long. In my memory, my SI shifts about the same as my 1999 Prelude.

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
it was designed for your tranny and its the best thing for it,

smoother shifting doesn't mean a different fluid is any better,

smoother shifting also does not mean said fluid is protecting your gears and bearings any better, it actually means the opposite, smoother shifting means the fluid is thinner then your previous fluid, and providing worse protection,

using a different fluid will also void your warranty if you encounter a tranny problem

Last edited:

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
dont listen to mikey, hes another one of the "honda engineer gods know best!" kool aid drinkers.

im not the only one who thinks the honda shit sucks:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/changed-mtf-to-amsoil-synchromesh-i-am-happy.32652/

i have owned many hondas over the last 25 years years from d series to b series to k series, and i can tell you from lots of experience, the honda piss fluid is too thin. itll make your gears notchy to engage and even grind after a while.

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
dont listen to mikey, hes another one of the "honda engineer gods know best!" kool aid drinkers.

im not the only one who thinks the honda shit sucks:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/changed-mtf-to-amsoil-synchromesh-i-am-happy.32652/

i have owned many hondas over the last 25 years years from d series to b series to k series, and i can tell you from lots of experience, the honda piss fluid is too thin. itll make your gears notchy to engage and even grind after a while.
yeah sure, and you will be one of the people starting a thread 2-3 years from now titled "MT crapped out, should i replace it with a new or used one"

but hey, for the time being you get that "smoother shifting"!!....well worth it!!

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
yeah sure, and you will be one of the people starting a thread 2-3 years from now titled "MT crapped out, should i replace it with a new or used one"

but hey, for the time being you get that "smoother shifting"!!....well worth it!!
your comment is truly ignorant and uninformed.

when i bought my 2010 si new, it shifted like shit. very crunchy notchy and occasionally grindy in 2nd gear.

at 5k miles i switched it out with GM synchromesh with FM and it was smooth shifting for 50k miles, then replaced it again with the same stuff and shifted smooth again for another 50k miles until i sold it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

+1

I just put it down to a VIVID IMAGINATION, the need to appear they know something that others do not :doh:

Than again, so much of the Internet is full of Misinformation :coffee:

mikey003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Than again, so much of the Internet is full of Misinformation :coffee:
agreed, and your one of the people spewing it,

every back yard mechanic knows whats best for their own car, and honda knows nothing :rolleyes1:

and those are the same people who come on forums like this and BAD MOUTH honda when they have issues and problems with their cars,

service your car properly and you wouldn't have the issues to begin with

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
it was designed for your tranny and its the best thing for it,

smoother shifting doesn't mean a different fluid is any better,

smoother shifting also does not mean said fluid is protecting your gears and bearings any better, it actually means the opposite, smoother shifting means the fluid is thinner then your previous fluid, and providing worse protection,

using a different fluid will also void your warranty if you encounter a tranny problem
I'm not sure where you got your information. If you look at the technical spec sheets of Honda MTF and a MT fluid like Amsoil Synchromesh which is fully synthetic (Honda MTF is not, btw), you will notice that at 100 degrees C Amsoil is at a higher viscosity and has a higher flash point. Honda MTF has to be changed at 25K and Amsoil Synchromesh between 50 and 150 K. Also your logic does not make sense. If we follow what you say using another quality synthetic motor oil other than Honda motor oil means we are destroying our engines. I'm not saying Honda MTF won't protect your transmission, but using another higher quality MT fluid does not mean it is not protecting your MT. You should really do a bit more research, look at the technical spec sheets first before you step in some doo doo you won't get off your shoe

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Honda MTF is not bad at all despite all the naysayers. It just doesn’t last as long as the MM intervals would suggest for smoothness, not protection. Over 5 civics all manual, I found yearly change outs to be optimal. This will be only the second time I’ve ever not used Honda MTF. We’ll see if it lasts beyond a year. All my civics over 200k km with zero shifting or transmission issues.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
agreed, and your one of the people spewing it,

every back yard mechanic knows whats best for their own car, and honda knows nothing :rolleyes1:

and those are the same people who come on forums like this and BAD MOUTH honda when they have issues and problems with their cars,

service your car properly and you wouldn't have the issues to begin with
This is a joke ? Right ? I guess I really do not get the Canadian Sense of Humor.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

I found shifting of my SI is good. However, I do not know better since my last manual car was a 1999 Honda Prelude (sold in 2004). So, I did not drive a manual for 14 years.

Since I do believe that full-synthetic will preform better than semi-synthetic, I will go ahead to replace the MTF with Amsoil. At least I did not read any adverse effects when members here change out the MTF with Amsoil.

Are there any differences in transmission parts in Canadian SI vs other countries?
Honda MTF is not bad, it will protect your MT adequate. There are better options out there that do a "better" job and make things smoother, work better in hotter and colder temps, and have longer change intervals

Last edited: