First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are people using amsoil synchromesh when on their website it says not to use with limited slip? I just put amsoil synchromesh in, wish I knew this before.
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are people using amsoil synchromesh when on their website it says not to use with limited slip? I just put amsoil synchromesh in, wish I knew this before.
It's backwards compatible.

Honda Civic 10th gen What type of MTF is everyone running? 1634359308617

Honda Civic 10th gen What type of MTF is everyone running? 1634359603125

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows. The GM/AC Delco Synchromesh MTF is what I'm going with on my first swap (coming up soon - at 28K miles right now!)

Used that on my 05 Acura TL and it worked WONDERS. It was all the buzz on the acurazine forums. Also had LSD on that from the factory. Solved the pesky 3rd gear pop out that those gens were plauged with.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Who knows. The GM/AC Delco Synchromesh MTF is what I'm going with on my first swap (coming up soon - at 28K miles right now!)

Used that on my 05 Acura TL and it worked WONDERS. It was all the buzz on the acurazine forums. Also had LSD on that from the factory. Solved the pesky 3rd gear pop out that those gens were plauged with.
Update - swapped out the MTF with some GM Synchromesh /AC Delco MTF and WOW, what a difference! I have a newfound appreciation for my Acuity Stage 3 shifter kit! And rev match downshifting never felt smoother.

Just crossed 29k miles and also needed an oil change, so figured I'd do both at once.

This fluid used to be like $5/qt back when I last bought it 5 years ago, but has since risen to $15-20/qt...

Honda Civic 10th gen What type of MTF is everyone running? s-l400

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It isnā€™t talking about transaxles or helical diffs. It means clutch style or rear differentials. It is fine for Honda trsnsaxles. Iā€™m sure it is covered somewhere else in this thread. It comes up from time to time with people asking about it. But it is fine. Hence why it says it is replacement for Honda MTF. People have contacted Amsoil about it, got the same answer.

Iā€™m currently running Redline MTL btw.

cobravap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 CRV
Country flag
It isnā€™t talking about transaxles or helical diffs. It means clutch style or rear differentials. It is fine for Honda trsnsaxles. Iā€™m sure it is covered somewhere else in this thread. It comes up from time to time with people asking about it. But it is fine. Hence why it says it is replacement for Honda MTF. People have contacted Amsoil about it, got the same answer.

Iā€™m currently running Redline MTL btw.
I am running amsoil, and it is much better than the original Honda mtf. Also WOPSiWOT is correct on why the syncromesh from amsoil is ok for us.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Always ran Honda MTF on all 39 Hondas I've owned and all my race cars. Never once had a shifting issue or trans issue.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I tried out Amsoil after the last OCI and have been running it for 15-20K. The one small difference I notice is that Amsoil offers better engagement the first 2-3 minutes after cold startup. After that, I can't find a discernable difference between Amsoil and Honda OEM fluids.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
swapped to amsoil at 28,000 after three track days with the OEM fluid.

After multiple daily drives to and from work, shifting from first to second is a lot smoother.

There is still some notchiness but not as much as before. There use to be a 3rd gear crunch that's no longer there and is as smooth going into first from a dead stop.

Will probably cycle the fluid again in 10k miles just for the hell of it since it's easy and quick to do.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
swapped to amsoil at 28,000 after three track days with the OEM fluid.

After multiple daily drives to and from work, shifting from first to second is a lot smoother.

There is still some notchiness but not as much as before. There use to be a 3rd gear crunch that's no longer there and is as smooth going into first from a dead stop.

Will probably cycle the fluid again in 10k miles just for the hell of it since it's easy and quick to do.
You probably don't need to change our your MTF in 10k miles unless you continue having lots of track days. I also found that in my case 1-2 was less likely to grind and other inexplicable grinds much less likely to give a distinct "CRUNCH" but rather a little bump, for example as has happened when shifting through a turn and with associated load changes in drivetrain. The Motul I am using is thicker (and slower) than the Honda fluid but it let's me feel where I am better. I have a more basic model, so it helps me in my Civic. I think you will find most oils offer better protection and durability than the Honda one and I am not blind to the fact that as a company, they are not above wanting something to break down eventually. I don't think any company really wants you to get to 1 million miles Scot-free! As any legit engineer and I they will all acknowledge there is a projected/expected life-span for all or some of their products. It is one of the most important questions that a designer or engineer has to answer. I am sure some engineers (Ford?) will also send you with their prayers alone....haha!

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What MTF do you guys recommend for very cold weather? I live in the Chicago area and it gets below 0 F here on more than a few winter days. I was originally going to go with Amsoil, but after reading this thread Iā€™m second guessing myself.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What MTF do you guys recommend for very cold weather? I live in the Chicago area and it gets below 0 F here on more than a few winter days. I was originally going to go with Amsoil, but after reading this thread Iā€™m second guessing myself.
OEM probably best bet. It will flow best in the cold. I think OEM is fine, Iā€™d just maintain a relatively frequent change interval (10-15k). Amsoil is not the miracle elixir that some people make it seem. You arenā€™t missing anything that special.

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM probably best bet. It will flow best in the cold. I think OEM is fine, Iā€™d just maintain a relatively frequent change interval (10-15k). Amsoil is not the miracle elixir that some people make it seem. You arenā€™t missing anything that special.
Yeah I thought that amsoil wouldnā€™t be the best for me because of the weather. My car has 31k miles and I donā€™t think the trans fluid has ever been changed so Iā€˜m probably gonna change it during my next oil change.
Sponsored