I Don’t Like My 2020 Civic Si Coupe

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have my si tuned and have a prl cobra cai race maf and I already feel a huge difference and have a lot more passing power now. Currently have the stage 2 competition clutch and lightweight flywheel sitting in my house waiting for my appt in a couple of weeks. Next mod will be a downpipe and exhaust still stuck on a few choices with that though. But for real this little 4 cylinder with a little bit of love surprises the hell out of me
Yeah man they really are torque monsters, lots and lots of people always get surprised at the capability of the little 1.5 :thumbsup:
Sponsored

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
TL;DR- Sometimes this car can be tough to love.

I learned to drive on farm equipment (from old pickup trucks to tractors and combines). There wasn't a single good or fun thing in the group but I was thrilled to be driving.

My first car was a 1993 Dodge Shadow ES. Those aren't exactly known for being great cars, but it predated the computer-controlled, electric assist era and so you really felt connected to everything it was doing. Mostly, though, it was slow. And there is nothing more fun than driving a slow car fast.

I then dipped my toes into the motorcycle world and experienced acceleration like I had never imagined, and everything was so direct and intuitively responsive. That forever changed my opinion of what makes driving fun.

Then I wound up in a 1996 Mustang GT. It had side pipes, and therefore was the coolest thing I had seen at 21 years of age. It looked cool, I felt cool, and I experienced V8 torque for the first time. Technically the Si produces as much as that old 90's Ford V8 did, but it doesn't produce it in the same way. A naturally aspirated V8, as you already know, is just always ready to hustle even under 10% throttle. So it makes you feel like you have to be responsible for your actions because the car would rather kill you than manage your driving for you. Let me be very clear: the Mustang was not a good car, by any possible measure. But that feeling it gave...I'd hate myself, but I'd take her back in a second if I could.

Then came my first marriage and a brand new 2006 Civic LX. It was...responsible. The build quality was also practically futuristic compared to the Mustang and Shadow before it. I hated it for being so slow but steering feel was good and I put a lot of miles through some tough years on that thing, and it really endeared itself to me by being what I needed when I needed it, time and again.

In the middle of all that, though, we needed a second car and I bought my mother-in-law's old Mercury Grand Marquis. I don't know what year it was, but the lesson here is never buy your mother-in-law's old Grand Marquis.

After that nearly killed me (catastrophic suspension failure), I had very little money and desperately felt the need for something reliable. Do not buy the Honda Fit. Everything you currently hate about driving the Si is magnified to frightening perfection in a Fit.

Flash forward to 2015, and a new Fiat 500! Also awful. But, talk about fun steering response. The Si handles well, but I would pay a small fortune if I could make it responsive like that Fiat. It leapt into turns, despite having a slower steering ratio than the Si. It's polar moment of inertia was more an idea than a limitation of physics. But Italian cars are only fun if you enjoy looking at them on the side of the road from time to time, which is where you'll be stranded.

Meanwhile, my wife picked up a 2015 Subaru Outback with the flat six. More rear leg room than an E-class, an engine that sounds and builds power like an old airplane, space for the dogs in back, plenty of ability to tear my way up unpaved mountain roads in north Georgia, what's not to love?

Then, suddenly, I found myself single in Texas and stuck with a Fiat that enjoyed creatively finding new ways of breaking down. So back to my old reliability focus, and back to a Honda. This time it was my current 2018 Si. Build quality is great, comfort and amenities are unbelievable at this price point, an LSD and competent handling meant I was getting fun and reliability all in one package. Something was missing so I threw in an Acuity shifter (which feels surprisingly like the direct mechanical link of a really good shifter in a RWD car) and I was happy. Except I wasn't, not quite. It needed more. I kept addressing more and more shortcomings of this car but I eventually realized, this car is actually GREAT. It just isn't fun. Driving it feels like I'm always just about to have a lot of fun, but I never quite get the opportunity. Maybe it's because I'm living in a suburban hellscape now, but even the odd blast on winding roads doesn't feel like the Fiat, the Mustang, or even the Shadow would have. It feels numb. It feels like any minute now, the computers and the electric steering and throttle-by-wire are going to step aside and let me have a blast, but that moment never comes. So I drive along efficiently, even quickly, and feeling nothing. I get out of the car wishing the drive had been a little longer because I was just about to really have some fun. I get back in the car the next time thinking I'm about to have a good time. And it's always just a moment away.

But now I have a new family, a wife and a newborn, and so a car like this is just too difficult to let go of. It's reliable, it doesn't have a CVT, it isn't a crossover or a minivan, and in a weird way I'm more protective of it than any car before because I know it's part of a dying breed: small, quick cars that are good at everything.

There's a lot of money to be lost jumping from car to car, and I wish my story wrapped up neatly with me finding nirvana in a Lotus or something. But in reality, I think mine is a tale of caution. Appreciate what you have while you have it, and good luck finding what you love.

Last edited:

supaaacharge98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
Well if you don't want it I would be happy to take it off your hands! ??

In all seriousness, grab a tuner and have a blast. I know times are tough but if you can save for a ktuner that would be sick and elevate the experience. I have driven a Challenger RT in the past so it is definitely a diff experience.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
On the bright side your Si coupe will retain it's value so you can sell it later and get the car you really want. In the mean time you have an "economy" car that gets great gas mileage.

Enjoy the car for what it is so that you'll know what you want and don't want next time around.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
Coming from the world of BMW's (M3 and M5) and Porsche's, It was a slight adjustment (mostly the FWD adjustment) going to a 2013 Accord V6, and then needing something more economical as a daily going to a 2017 Si. But I think you need to look at this in another light. The way I see it is you have your daily driver, which is utility and your weekend driver which is for speed and tearing up the road. We can't all have both, so you have to settle for one or the other. I have not read through all the other posts, but as others have said, this can be a fun car. If this is your first manual, driving it 5 minutes a day is not going to improve your manual driving skills. Secondly, figure out how to turn off the sensing software, which can be done. Next, if you feel the car is lacking power, think about picking up a Ktuner with either TSP's tune or the Phearable tune. This should give you additional power and make your daily driving more fun.

Just think about the gas savings. I've never driven a Charger, but I'm sure the coin you put down on gas was pretty steep, which is one of the reasons you sold it. The money you save in gas alone was worth buying the Civic. And then in a few years you can pick up another Charger when you're in a better financial situation. Hell, I'm going to buy a Honda Fit to save money on gas (my 2017 Si was stolen).

Anyway think about it some more. Drive it more and the car will grow on you

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway think about it some more. Drive it more and the car will grow on you
Now 4 1/2 months in I barely drive it because I don’t really like it.

I personally think its slow.

I’m not looking into making it "faster." I personally don’t think its worth it.

I absolutely HATE the Honda Sensing.

The lane assist is ass.

I literally take Uber everywhere rather than drive my car.

I try n do my errands at work so I won’t have to drive it.

I really dont like it that bad.

When I compare the looks, getting rid of the Challenger was my biggest regret.

Also, the Infotainment system really sucks!
HondaFanz2018, with the OP's list of gripes, it may never grow on him. Just because we think Civics are great doesn't mean they're for everybody. We've all made purchases we regret and getting the wrong car and having buyer's remorse is one of the worst feelings because a car can be such an emotional thing.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HondaFanz2018, with the OP's list of gripes, it may never grow on him. Just because we think Civics are great doesn't mean they're for everybody. We've all made purchases we regret and getting the wrong car and having buyer's remorse is one of the worst feelings because a car can be such an emotional thing.
True, but I'm thinking his biggest complaint is Honda Sensing. I never had it as I had the 2017, but that seems to be a big drawback. Like Elon Musk, just throwing out some ideas hoping one sticks!

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
True, but I'm thinking his biggest complaint is Honda Sensing. I never had it as I had the 2017, but that seems to be a big drawback. Like Elon Musk, just throwing out some ideas hoping one sticks!
It's going to become a standard safety feature for all cars and I'm glad my 2018 doesn't have it.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's going to become a standard safety feature for all cars and I'm glad my 2018 doesn't have it.
My wife has a 2016 Lexus GX460 which has the Lexus safety suite, but it's not very intrusive. It does start nagging if you get to close to the car in front and has lane watch, but nothing like what he describes. It looks like with newer cars they want to drive you, not vice versa

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I don't really get this "hate" against Honda Sensing. You CAN disable hoda sensing OR set the sensitivity of CMBS. Collision Mitigation Braking System and Road Departure Mitigation System can be turned off with a button. Lane-keeping Assist System is OFF by defult. Adaptive Cruise Control can be turned in to "classical" cruise control in the US models.

Shawn2shawn

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Just hear me vent if you got the time. I’ll take any criticism.
I’m coming from a Challenger RT. I miss that car. The attention and feeling of driving it. The sound! Anyway, I decided that I wanted to save gas and help out the family during this Pandemic but also I wanted have a little bit more fun with a newer car. So I was recommended to go with an Si and they’re not that bad looking. I never drove a manual in my life. I learned on the spot. It was fun at first I’ll admit. But now 4 1/2 months in. I barely drive it because I don’t really like it. I’ve only put 1,220 miles in since buying it at 0 miles. I personally think its slow. The sound of the turbo is alright. All I did was tint the windows. I’m not looking into making it "faster." I personally don’t think its worth it. I absolutely HATE the Honda Sensing. I don’t know how to permanently disable them. Its caused me to almost crash multiple times because the car assumes I’m going to do something. The lane assist is ass. In intersections where there are lots of white lines crossing each other the car gets confused and it feels like I’m fighting with the car with trying to control it. Very annoying. I literally take Uber everywhere rather than drive my car. Or I try n do my errands at work so I won’t have to drive it. I know that’s ridiculous huh, but I really dont like it that bad ? Only time i use it, is to work and back home which is 5 minutes away. I want to get the Challenger 392 Shaker ScatPack but that gas ain’t no joke! But I just might go back... But I just might go for a 2020 Accord 1.5T or pay for luxury on a Benz. Not sure what to do. I don’t see myself lasting more than 1.5yrs with it. I barely want to think about a year. I want to deal with it because the gas is amazing!! My tank lasts me 3-4 weeks spending around $36. At the same time, having a car payment is annoying so we’ll see what happens. Just my few cents about the civic si. When I compare the looks, getting rid of the Challenger was my biggest regret. I had no choice. This damn Pandemic ruined everything. Any car recommendations? Criticism? ? Advice? Anybody feel me on this?
Also, the Infotainment system really sucks! Especially when I try n hook up AppleCarPlay.... alright I’m done ?
3DD01063-1D46-4374-B55C-B0CCC6A721A5.jpeg
F68C0D52-6DDF-43BD-82C3-75BB46D48802.jpeg
4F8E8E1B-41BA-4C19-9072-F42E14718F31.jpeg
CC7A025C-CB2B-4DE7-9805-66023C941CD1.jpeg
It is slow, but fast for its competitors. You would have been better off with a golf r or veloster n

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Just hear me vent if you got the time. I’ll take any criticism.
I’m coming from a Challenger RT. I miss that car. The attention and feeling of driving it. The sound! Anyway, I decided that I wanted to save gas and help out the family during this Pandemic but also I wanted have a little bit more fun with a newer car. So I was recommended to go with an Si and they’re not that bad looking. I never drove a manual in my life. I learned on the spot. It was fun at first I’ll admit. But now 4 1/2 months in. I barely drive it because I don’t really like it. I’ve only put 1,220 miles in since buying it at 0 miles. I personally think its slow. The sound of the turbo is alright. All I did was tint the windows. I’m not looking into making it "faster." I personally don’t think its worth it. I absolutely HATE the Honda Sensing. I don’t know how to permanently disable them. Its caused me to almost crash multiple times because the car assumes I’m going to do something. The lane assist is ass. In intersections where there are lots of white lines crossing each other the car gets confused and it feels like I’m fighting with the car with trying to control it. Very annoying. I literally take Uber everywhere rather than drive my car. Or I try n do my errands at work so I won’t have to drive it. I know that’s ridiculous huh, but I really dont like it that bad ? Only time i use it, is to work and back home which is 5 minutes away. I want to get the Challenger 392 Shaker ScatPack but that gas ain’t no joke! But I just might go back... But I just might go for a 2020 Accord 1.5T or pay for luxury on a Benz. Not sure what to do. I don’t see myself lasting more than 1.5yrs with it. I barely want to think about a year. I want to deal with it because the gas is amazing!! My tank lasts me 3-4 weeks spending around $36. At the same time, having a car payment is annoying so we’ll see what happens. Just my few cents about the civic si. When I compare the looks, getting rid of the Challenger was my biggest regret. I had no choice. This damn Pandemic ruined everything. Any car recommendations? Criticism? ? Advice? Anybody feel me on this?
Also, the Infotainment system really sucks! Especially when I try n hook up AppleCarPlay.... alright I’m done ?
3DD01063-1D46-4374-B55C-B0CCC6A721A5.jpeg
F68C0D52-6DDF-43BD-82C3-75BB46D48802.jpeg
4F8E8E1B-41BA-4C19-9072-F42E14718F31.jpeg
CC7A025C-CB2B-4DE7-9805-66023C941CD1.jpeg
I agree with you that the stock Si can feel a little tame and not the most engaging. When I got my Blue Si I had a little bit of buyers remorse as well initially, and was debating trading it in. However, once I started modifying the car to my liking, it is truly a different monster. The various chassis and suspension mods I have put in the car makes it handle like a dream (front and rear sway bar, anti lift kit, and various chassis bracing). With these mods I truly found the car to handle significantly better, thus rendering it more engaging. I also have Hondata running a base map and it truly woke the car up giving it an extra kick when WOT. Our Red Si is running Ktuner, and his truly woke up too, the piggy back tuners are really subjective and is based on preference. Some things that make the car feel more engaging other than the suspension or chassis mods would be the Acuity products, these are such high quality parts that make every shift an absolute joy! If you go for the full short shifter kit, you will not regret it and will be smiling after every shift!

As for some of the chassis and suspension mods you can find them on our website under the 'Street' category, you can find it here: https://unity-performance.com/collections/street?page=1.
I hope this helped with some of the remorse you are feeling with your Si, and it will transform the car into another monster, changing the overall dynamic of the car.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know it's off topic but do you guys mean under "water industry" and why is there big money in it?
Idk what part of the water industry he works but in my area the water industry is really good because of job security, my water company is practically a monopoly in this area of New York. I do asset management and my pay is good for my age (24), good chances to move up/around
Sponsored