Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can you post up a screenshot of the manual. I don't know why they would spec this when pretty much the entire world doesn't follow this schedule. Do all you German dudes speed at 120mph on the autobahn all the time?
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Fluid Change IMG_4499
Sponsored

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's NOT what was said. @GermanCivic said that 25k is the regular change interval, not the change interval under extreme conditions.
Gotcha, well that was from the USA manual anyway. Would be interesting to see if the German manual has different maintenance recommendations.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reactions: Car

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
@Nessism
My owners manual is written in german, so I'm not sure if you're able to understand that.

But I found a link on Honda UK, were you can download their owners manual, you have to scroll down to see the CivicX:

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals.html

The maintenance schedules start at site 610
I see in the manual that the X model cars do call for 24k CVT fluid changes. Very strange, considering the '23 model year manual calls for 93k mile fluid changes for normal driving, and 46.5k for "extreme" driving. The engine and CVT are virtually the same, so it doesn't make sense for such a wild disparity.

• Haha
Reactions: Car

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Here are the facts:
  • Maintenance Minder (MM) indicates items due at the next oil change (when the oil life percentage reaches zero).
  • MM 3: CVT fluid change
    • In slow, mountainous conditions (the highest load with the lowest cooling), CVT fluid should be changed every 25,000 miles
    • The first time this popped up on me was approaching 50,000 miles.
    • Use only Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid.
I have 188,000 miles on my CVT in my 2016 EX. I drive 99% highway, 1% small town. For reference, MM indicates oil changes for me typically between 12-15,000 miles (15,000 miles is the maximum MM allows).

I have changed the CVT fluid 4 times: 50,000 miles; 100,000 miles; 135,000 miles; 170,000 miles.
The first two changes were based on MM indicators, with very typical highway driving. The last two were changed prior to MM indications due to me blasting down the interstate at 90 mph for 13 hours/1000 miles in the South four times a month.

Last edited:

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
That same UK/Europe manual calls for 30 weight engine oil. Ha ha! People come to blows when anyone in the USA recommends anything other than 0W-20! "You will ruin your car". "Honda knows best". etc, etc.

On my car, which sees 95% (hard) city driving, I dropped the CVT fluid at 5 years (30k miles), and it was slightly dark, but NOT bad by any measure. It could have easily gone longer. 24k miles? That's even more excessive. I don't think so.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag