Civic CVT Fluid Change with Castrol?

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Hello,

Has anyone used Castrol CVT fluid in their CVT yet? Or is it better to stick with genuine fluid? Which is better and why?

Thanks
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I have castrol in mine. It feels smoother than OEM. I dont think you can go wrong with Castrol, traditional big name that is owned by BP.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
When you are dealing with CVT (new gen CVT) you need to be cautious.
You can't really say oil is oil, all lubricate, right? With a specific CVT, the manufacturer adds special additives to match clutch or friction materials.
Different trans fluids should not be mixed. For example, Honda transmission fluid made for their accord regular 4-speed auto trans has a warning not to put it in CVT trans.
Another example... go to domestic brands, Ford Type-F cannot be mixed with GM's Dextron ATF. Both are slushbox automatics.
Each has different additives to work with their clutch or friction materials within the trans. Using with the wrong additive can/could cause slippage premature wear.

When Castrol Amsoil starts to make Honda approved CVT transmission fluid that may work, but even then there are older type CVT and newer more advanced CVTs that don't share the same fluid.
In our Civic's and Accords the designation HCF-2 is specific to the latest CVTs.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
1st choice - OEM
Best available - AMSOIL synthetic

Also, when you change the fluid, change the drain plug to be a Dimple brand rare earth magnet plug.

While a simple "dump and fill" will leave fluid in the tranny, best not to go for a flush, as most after market shops will recommend. While you could likely get away with a low pressure flush without issues, the flushing has been known to clog small inlets and tubes, causing more problems and you only change that trans fluid at like 50K miles.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know what it is but when it comes to Transmission. I stick with OEM.

Engine. Not only I switch to Synthetic but the Grade also and don't even second guess it.

OP
OP

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
When you are dealing with CVT (new gen CVT) you need to be cautious.
You can't really say oil is oil, all lubricate, right? With a specific CVT, the manufacturer adds special additives to match clutch or friction materials.
Different trans fluids should not be mixed. For example, Honda transmission fluid made for their accord regular 4-speed auto trans has a warning not to put it in CVT trans.
Another example... go to domestic brands, Ford Type-F cannot be mixed with GM's Dextron ATF. Both are slushbox automatics.
Each has different additives to work with their clutch or friction materials within the trans. Using with the wrong additive can/could cause slippage premature wear.

When Castrol Amsoil starts to make Honda approved CVT transmission fluid that may work, but even then there are older type CVT and newer more advanced CVTs that don't share the same fluid.
In our Civic's and Accords the designation HCF-2 is specific to the latest CVTs.
That is true. Just changed my oil with castrol edge 0-20. I had my first change done by the dealer but I do not trust them at all. I know quite a few mechanics who say they use non oem oil and dont even bother changing filter. Additionally, when I put my car on the lift at my friends garage, the lazy techs pried off the plastic so theres a plastic part dangling beneath my car for the last 5k miles.

BTW, they do the same work. After all, they're humans.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have castrol in mine. It feels smoother than OEM. I dont think you can go wrong with Castrol, traditional big name that is owned by BP.

Old thread and post but how is your CVT transmission going? I just read a CVT fluid comparison that has Honda CVT fluid in it but also ranks Castrol higher on the list. I'm considering Castrol based on it's friction capabilities. CVT Fluid Ranking.

Also, do you have any modifications done to your vehicle that would increase horsepower and torque? If so, what are they? Thanks in advance!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw this one:
1596735677785.jpeg

Any info on this as to why it may be good for our application? I'm looking for fluid that increases belt friction to prevent slippage. And for the fluid to withstand breaking down for a long period of time. In that order.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Old thread and post but how is your CVT transmission going? I just read a CVT fluid comparison that has Honda CVT fluid in it but also ranks Castrol higher on the list. I'm considering Castrol based on it's friction capabilities. CVT Fluid Ranking.

Also, do you have any modifications done to your vehicle that would increase horsepower and torque? If so, what are they? Thanks in advance!
How can you recommend such a junk fake review site as the one you linked?:dunno:

They are incompetent. They publish fake reviews made by amateurs and media types ("writers") based only on manufacturer information and they make money from clicks to Amazon. These people are totally incompetent and unable to "rank" transmission fluids.

In this "review," dated now, they show the old previous generation Honda CVT fluid as "performs beautifully in all CV transmission Honda models." This is false. They are completely unaware of the HCF-2. How many naive people bought this to pour in their newer Honda CVT transmissions?

There is not any trace of actual reason to think that any of the fluids they show is even suitable for the civicx, let alone "better."

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Every manufacturer makes their CVTs differently and require different lubrication properties. It isn't like engine oil where third party oils will work fine (and sometimes even better than OEM). CVT's have drums and belts (or similar components) that have to have just the right amount of friction and lubricant to work or they will be damaged.

Stick with OEM for your transmission if you want it to last.

Last edited:

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag

Mine is stock except an oil catch can.
Sponsored