bansheeback

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I've got a 2019 L15B7 that just hit 100,000 miles. Just a couple days ago, maintenance minder, for the first time, told me I need my CVT fluid changed. After looking through the forums, I discovered that many said they got theirs changed at 50,000-75,000 miles. If this is what was needed, why did my Civic wait until now to ask for it? Should I be worried that it's been too long?
Sponsored

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
b is oil change, 3 is transmission fluid, 30k service

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yea be worried.
I only did 1 OE fluid change, then a Valvoline change when replaced the motor at 180XXX miles

I got 206XXX miles before the belt blew up.

Car

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
I've got a 2019 L15B7 that just hit 100,000 miles. Just a couple days ago, maintenance minder, for the first time, told me I need my CVT fluid changed. After looking through the forums, I discovered that many said they got theirs changed at 50,000-75,000 miles. If this is what was needed, why did my Civic wait until now to ask for it? Should I be worried that it's been too long?
The car can’t tell you every single thing that needs to happen on a car, the owners manual does though. Highly recommend reading that.

Before you worry too much though it really depends on how you drove the car. I’ve read people on here changing the fluid at 80k or higher and it looking clean, so it really matters how you treated the car and the environment you live in. If you are in a non-dusty, flat area driving mostly highway miles, it’s not as much of a concern as if you are driving in cold, dusty, mountainous areas. The owners manual speaks a bit more about this as well.

Have someone check out the fluid to see the condition, if its dark and opaque consider maybe getting a flush. If not a flush get a drain and fill and a consecutive one either immediately after or in a month. Would recommend having three drain and fills relatively close to each other so most of the fluid can be replaced with fresh fluid. Oh and only use oem honda fluid. Good luck

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Just change the fluid and don't worry. It's nonsense to say that 30k CVT fluid changes are "required." It's more of a "I feel better to change my CVT fluid more often than the maintenance minder says" sort of thing.

If the fluid comes out dark and smelly, then I'd follow up with another change with your next oil change. Reason being, dropping the fluid only removes about 2/3's of the total fluid. Consider changing the filters also. There are two. Search here for a tutorial on how to do it, and the filter and seal PN's.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@bansheeback
In Germany CVT fluid needs to replaced even earlier: every 24,000 miles or every other year.

But in north america it seems normal to change it that late. I've seen people here driving 120k miles without changing CVT fluid. I wouldn't worry and would also just rely on the maintenance minder.

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Here is a report of my CVT Fluid the first time i changed it at 86K and i dont even think the maintenance minder mentioned it. Just did it again at 106K and sent out for testing. Will be able to compare an 86K interval and 20K interval.
Honda Civic 10th gen CVT Fluid Change IMG_0688

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Nessism
Honda suggests that in the owners manual in Europe.
And of course it also shows up on the maintenance minder.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My 2018 Owners Manual says:
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)."

I wish Honda had a printed maintenance schedule like all the other cars had that I've owned. IOW about when would I expect the Maintenance Minder to indicate a fluid change? About double that or 50K miles?

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
@Nessism
Honda suggests that in the owners manual in Europe.
And of course it also shows up on the maintenance minder.
Can you post up a screenshot of the manual. I don't know why they would spec this when pretty much the entire world doesn't follow this schedule. Do all you German dudes speed at 120mph on the autobahn all the time?
Sponsored