Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is by far the most documented case of a successful swap. Think this is the 4th working swap ive seen from a CVT to the 6mt from the Si. Grats on the work!
Of course I didn't talk about a lot here, so please ask me questions guys if you have any. Also, if you know of other successful swaps, please reference them to me, I would love to get in touch with the shops/owners and see how they did it as there was a major creative process involved in some parts. I have my doubts that there are this many successful swaps :D
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Of course I didn't talk about a lot here, so please ask me questions guys if you have any. Also, if you know of other successful swaps, please reference them to me, I would love to get in touch with the shops/owners and see how they did it as there was a major creative process involved in some parts. I have my doubts that there are this many successful swaps :D
I'll have to dig up the names from IG. Its been awhile since I've followed up with them. I only just saw this today but glad to as *knock on wood* I've considered this a possible option if mine goes kaboom.

I've done 3 track events and 4 drag days and its been holding on so far but know that maybe I pushing my luck lol.

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
Okay okay... I've been holding off for too long. Here is an update, the good, the bad, and the ugly...

The good: The swap as far as I'm concerned is possible and I was successful in figuring it out. Currently, the Si MT is in the car and I've driven about 400 miles on it. It shifts well, it took a tune, and drives without engine lights. I had many issues and problems, I really don't have the time or space to go into in detail, but if someone wants to do this for real, I'll consider writing it out on another post or something like that. I didn't have to take it to any mechanic and did it all in my garage, so I'm happy with that. The cost hasn't been too crazy just yet.

The bad: I'm currently having some minor electrical issues with the VSA module, which I ended up replacing with one I found for $75 at a salvage yard, but I think my own wiring may be the issue as I checked for continuity between my connections and wasn't picking it up.
Mechanical issue: I would have well over a few thousand miles on the car if it wasn't for this. There is a clicking sound I hear whenever going over bumps or dips. The clicking sound sounds like axle pop, but I've inspected both axles and they seem to be fine with minor radial play. The lower RMM from Cusco however was blown out, but still holds loosely, so maybe the engine is bumping around in there.

The ugly: On my last time driving the car, earlier this week, the AC broke, and I had no cold air coming in. I'm guessing something might have bumped into it, so I've stopped driving the car. I was hoping something like this might happen, it will help me find the issue and locate the sound. I don't mind paying a salvage yard for more parts, it has been fun learning to replace everything in car anyway. I know this is not a good way to go about doing things for your wallet.

The plan: I'll be taking the car apart this weekend and installing 82 hasport mounts on all contact parts, so 3 engine mounts. I'll inspect for dings, rubbing, or anything all around the engine. I'll check every single wire that was changed for proper resistance and continuity. Anything that looks at all damaged will be replaced. The car won't be driven until doing so. I might also build the engine in the next month if everything electrical goes well. This will allow me to fully inspect the engine bay for damage, cracks, etc...
A few questions
1. Any custom Fitment issues for Parts?
2. Did the immobilizer work without problems for the sport hatch ecm?
3. Can you do a full parts list post, because it would help astronomically when I swap my car when my cvt explodes.

Thanks,

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nick, very impressive work so far. Can you document the total man hours and $$ for the project up to this point?

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A few questions
1. Any custom Fitment issues for Parts?
2. Did the immobilizer work without problems for the sport hatch ecm?
3. Can you do a full parts list post, because it would help astronomically when I swap my car when my cvt explodes.

Thanks,
Nick, very impressive work so far. Can you document the total man hours and $$ for the project up to this point?
1. Clutch pedal does not perfectly fit, i welded a bracket and risers to create a flush fut. Everything else fit without issue. The CVT heat exchanger can be cut and tubing routed into itself without issue, so no dangly metal in the engine bay.
2. Immobilzer needs to be reprogrammed to new ecm, i used x34 tablet off amazon.
Alright, so ill just go off of what i can remember:
1. Si Tranny : 1600 shipped.
2. Oem hatchback sport ecm: 430 shipped.
3. Salvage wiring harness for engine hatchback sport and SI engine room, 300
4. OEM Si half shafts: 400
5. Ebay midshaft 75
6. Ebay Shifter and cables: 200
7. Salvage hatch sport guage cluster 75 ( still need to pick up and install)
8. New clutchmaster flywheel and fx450 Price may vary
9. X34 honda reprogramming tablet 1050 shipped amazon, can use and return.
10. Various hardware, wiring looms, bolts and such that were missing: 100
11.Ebay "Nismo" ;) shift knob 10 shipped
12. Sakura blossom in focus shift boot 70 shipped
13. Various money I spent on parts i didnt end up needing like si guage cluster and instrument wiring harness, Maf, tubing, 500
14. Ebay si Master cylinder 100 shipped
15. Salvage Si tranny mount 75 picked up.
16. Ruined sparkplug replacement 50 shipped Oem.
17. Brake fluid, antifreeze, and other 100. I flushed the brake system 3 times.
18. Honda wiring subscription 200 total at 25 per day. You can pay 125 for a month, but i kept thinking just one more time.
You wont need the subscription if you buy ALL of the wiring engine/control harnesses from a hatchback sport, but good luck locating them.
19. VSA modulator hatch sport 75 salvaged
Probably other stuff, but i cant remember. Ill update this if something comes up. Need to check emails for reciepts and such anyway.

Man hours: Tranny blew July 3. Work started July 10. Up untill August 7 I put in an average of 3 hours of work on the car and 2 hours online doing research on weekends and holidays too. Keep in mind, I had zero experience. Most work ive done was bolt on mods and ktuner. Wiring quickly became a nightmare since i had to Frankenstein my harness. Had help with heavy lifting and welding from a mechanic buddy of mine who knows nothing about modern car systems for about 5 of those days. Drove the car for a little while and did minor work. Took it apart yesterday 3 hours of work to install new RMM, doing tranny mount today, maybe wiring.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. Clutch pedal does not perfectly fit, i welded a bracket and risers to create a flush fut. Everything else fit without issue. The CVT heat exchanger can be cut and tubing routed into itself without issue, so no dangly metal in the engine bay.
2. Immobilzer needs to be reprogrammed to new ecm, i used x34 tablet off amazon.
5. Ebay midshaft 75
13. Various money I spent on parts i didnt end up needing like si guage cluster and instrument wiring harness, Maf, tubing, 500
18. Honda wiring subscription 200 total at 25 per day. You can pay 125 for a month, but i kept thinking just one more time.
You wont need the subscription if you buy ALL of the wiring engine/control harnesses from a hatchback sport, but good luck locating them.
19. VSA modulator hatch sport salvaged
Probably other stuff, but i cant remember. Ill update this if something comes up. Need to check emails for reciepts and such anyway.

Man hours: Tranny blew July 3. Work started July 10. Up untill August 7 I put in an average of 3 hours of work on the car and 2 hours online doing research on weekends and holidays too. Drove the car for a little while and did minor work. Took it apart yesterday 3 hours of work to install new RMM, doing tranny mount today, maybe wiring.
Thanks for posting all that.

This kind of goes to my original point that it would be a pricey ($5K+), time consuming and challenging switch for the average guy asking "I have the CVT, can I change to a manual transmission"?

I totally commend you for the amount of time and $$ (and I'm sure BS&T) you've point into this. You've also done a great job documenting things. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for posting all that.

This kind of goes to my original point that it would be a pricey ($5K+), time consuming and challenging switch for the average guy asking "I have the CVT, can I change to a manual transmission"?

I totally commend you for the amount of time and $$ (and I'm sure BS&T) you've point into this. You've also done a great job documenting things. :thumbsup:
Understandable, though im glad I did it so far. This is my first car and im attached to it like a man to his gold-digging trophy wife. Its also been great learning so much about the car, I feel like im invincible and anything that happens to it it ill just fix it.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
KUDOS awesome work, i am going to do the same with a spare engine & 6MT i bought the engine arrived (clearing customs & will rebuild it too) & awaiting a very long list of parts for the gb to be shipped to me in 1 go.
following & questions will come soon, doing many research in the mean time while waiting for parts to come.
thanks alot OP.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
5. Ebay midshaft 75
19. VSA modulator hatch sport 75 salvaged

Man hours: Tranny blew July 3. Work started July 10. Up untill August 7 I put in an average of 3 hours of work on the car and 2 hours online doing research on weekends and holidays too. Keep in mind, I had zero experience. Most work ive done was bolt on mods and ktuner. Wiring quickly became a nightmare since i had to Frankenstein my harness. Had help with heavy lifting and welding from a mechanic buddy of mine who knows nothing about modern car systems for about 5 of those days. Drove the car for a little while and did minor work. Took it apart yesterday 3 hours of work to install new RMM, doing tranny mount today, maybe wiring.
Great work... really impressive work!!
Btw during removal of CVT did you research whether CVT internal could be beefed up without much pain in a$$??

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great work... really impressive work!!
Btw during removal of CVT did you research whether CVT internal could be beefed up without much pain in a$$??
Wont be starting that untill the MT is running perfectly. Though, I have my doubts, as the belt and pully system needs to be completly replaced from what i understand.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Did the cvt fail abruptly or was it a progressive degeneration? If so, what were early symptoms?

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did the cvt fail abruptly or was it a progressive degeneration? If so, what were early symptoms?
I was tracking the car and it felt really good that day. Especially as temps fell later in the day I wasn't getting passed and I made sure to start first at each session in order to get lots of space before needing to pass another car. Usually later in any session though, even during my last track day before the one that destroyed the transmission, the transmission would heat up and the top speed and acceleration would begin to fall off, requiring a cool down lap or just driving off the track into the hot pits for about a minute. Never even noticed the transmission heating up in canyon drives, usually brakes were overheated long before any engine/transmission heat.

Actually on the day, the moment it stopped working was right at the start line, I was the first on the grid and I floored it. It just slipped and never regained full traction with the engine since then. I would frequently floor the car and the transmssion would have enough grip to get the tires to spin and everything and do burnouts with the ebrake in. (Hmmm wonder why it failed...)

Simply put... No, no real warnings just abrupt failure.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Nick. I don't think the guy realized that you were tuned with mods and tracked the car. It's not like you were just driving to the 7-11 at 30mph and the CVT up and croaked. ;)

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Nick. I don't think the guy realized that you were tuned with mods and tracked the car. It's not like you were just driving to the 7-11 at 30mph and the CVT up and croaked. ;)
30mph? That's a little fast for a civic don't you think...

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I read the op's original post. What's your point?
Sponsored