CVT Destroyed at 45k, looking to MT swap

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last night, I was tracking my fk7 hatch with a CVT and just as the third session started the car wouldn't engage a "gear." After getting towed off I drove about 10 miles towards my home with it constantly slipping and eventually couldn't go further and towed it home. Can't say I wasn't expecting it, but it just happened so suddenly.

Car has been running and intake, downpipe, and e85 with ktuner for about a year and half. Used CVTs go for 1k shipped on ebay, maybe a bit more, but a used si tranny goes for about 2k. Im probably going to try swapping it for the lsd and mt that can handle the power of the car. What do you guys think ill need to do the swap?

I'm thinking:

Si transmission
Pedal assembly
ECU
Wiring harness
Shifter assembly with different cutout for car
New clutch and flywheel, maybe fx350
Cv axle internals, I heard the outside is the same from si to sport
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Just get a used type R. You were tracking an economy car, built with economy car parts.

Every computerized part in the car is programmed to get feedback from the CVT. It’s not a modular car you can Frankenstein parts to and expect everything to work correctly

Edit: 5/19/21
It’s great that this guy had the time and knowledge to make this a successful project. Huge for him and a huge feat for this platform. A great thread for this forum as well. But i stand by the fact that this is not feasible for 99.9% of anyone with a CVT civic who thinks they can manual swap it in their garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just get a used type R. You were tracking an economy car, built with economy car parts.

Every computerized part in the car is programmed to get feedback from the CVT. It’s not a modular car you can Frankenstein parts to and expect everything to work correctly
That is an option I am considering, but I still have the time a resources to take up this project. I just need an idea of what parts need to be swapped. Even if it isn't the most cost effective, it will he unique and something I can enjoy.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy the used CVT, get the car moving under its own weight, part it out, then buy an actual Si or Type R. There's no reason to throw good money after bad.
I'm just seeing how much "good money" ill need to throw.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have never seen a successful CVT to 6MT swap build thread on a 10th gen.

That is not to say it cannot be done, that is to say you would be doing most of the figuring out yourself and nobody can help in any way because you are the expert.
I understand that it won't be simple by any means, but im looking for all the help I can get. What kind of resources could I use to check fitment and match part numbers before pulling the trigger?

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Why not fix it and get a cvt oil cooler, I’m pretty sure if you had one you wouldn’t had blown your transmission

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not fix it and get a cvt oil cooler, I’m pretty sure if you had one you wouldn’t had blown your transmission
I'm not so sure about that. Havnt seen anyone running my setup reliably on any track with any cooler. Would it have helped, probably for a few more laps, but the heat is far too immense IMO.

NDFong

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si
Country flag
Last night, I was tracking my fk7 hatch with a CVT and just as the third session started the car wouldn't engage a "gear." After getting towed off I drove about 10 miles towards my home with it constantly slipping and eventually couldn't go further and towed it home. Can't say I wasn't expecting it, but it just happened so suddenly.

Car has been running and intake, downpipe, and e85 with ktuner for about a year and half. Used CVTs go for 1k shipped on ebay, maybe a bit more, but a used si tranny goes for about 2k. Im probably going to try swapping it for the lsd and mt that can handle the power of the car. What do you guys think ill need to do the swap?

I'm thinking:

Si transmission
Pedal assembly
ECU
Wiring harness

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-transmission-in-a-sport-hatch-project.27486/

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring

I'm thinking:

Si transmission
Pedal assembly
ECU
Wiring harness
Also figure in shift cables, and ECM/PCM.

OP
OP
Nickthewaffler

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah if you have the money, you're much better off putting a good condition used CVT into your hatch and trading it in for at least an Si. Type R would be optimal for track use obviously but the Si is no slouch, it's slightly beefed up and should hold up relatively well. Keep in mind for the future though that the thing that kills the transmissions (especially CVT's) is too more torque. So you might wanna keep that in mind with whatever mods you end up doing.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude, don’t do it.

When I was on drive accord with my Accord V6, someone was attempting to swap a 6MT from an accord coupe v6 (totalled), to a v6 sedan with the 6AT.

The guy has had so many ups and downs in the project, and he was very brave for doing it because he basically had to customize and splice up the existing harnesses, adding the clutch pedal, replacing lots of drivetrain components...the list is endless. To this day as far as I know, he still hasn’t successfully ironed out the bugs and I don’t even know if the car runs. I think he did get it running but had way too many errors and codes to make it driveable. Probably to this day the project has been going for 2+ years and he hasn’t updated at all, so I’m guessing it wasn’t successful.
The guy had money, and lots of help as well along the way. He also didn’t daily the car I think.

EDIT: Adding link, I hope this doesn’t go against forum rules (linking to other forums?):

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/2014-v6-sedan-6mt-swap.526649/page-10

Long story short, you may think you’re ready for it, but honestly you’re looking at more than the cost of a Type R territory here, and a LONG down time, and that’s if you even succeed, which IMO, you won’t. This accord is a 2014 car, with much less advanced tech than the CivicX. You’ll ruin the car, be out a lot of money from the project alone, and you’ll kick yourself in the butt later for not spending the $1k for a used transmission and trading/getting a Type R.
Sponsored

Last edited: