CVT surging at low speeds

GromRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Has anyone experienced either of of these weird CVT behaviors? I have a 2019 Civic Sport (non-turbo).

1) Sometimes when I accelerate from stop or low speed (<10 MPH) up a hill to about 20 MPH with constant, light gas pedal input, the car's RPMs will pulse/surge up and down 200ish RPMs back and forth several times until I reach the top of the hill. This happens maybe 20% of the time I drive up the hill in my neighborhood. It never happens in sport mode, and it doesn't seem to happen if I give it a lot of gas in drive either.

2) Sometimes when I'm accelerating on a flat road (not a hill) at a safe speed, the car will gradually build up RPMs, but then around 24-26 MPH the car will jerk and the revs will instantly go up 300+ RPMs and then continue steadily gaining revs like normal. It always happens around 24-26 MPH.

Both of these CVT behaviors happen when the engine temp is cold or warm, and in all sorts of weather conditions. I found a thread where people had pulsing/surging at highway speeds, but I've never experienced any pulsing/surging RPMs at higher speeds (30+ MPH) or in sport mode. I understand why there could be jerkyness when getting on and off the gas, but these issues happen when accelerating with smooth or steady throttle input.

I drive my girlfriend's 2008 Nissan Sentra with a CVT regularly, and neither of these issues happen, so I'm not sure if these are specific to the way Honda's CVT is programmed or if I have a problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I experience some of this myself. I just attribute it to the CVT software and the VTEC, yo.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Eco mode, for me, kinda' smooths out the throttle response and seems to get along better with my foot and my style of throttle input. I'll grab Sport Mode for sprints or uphill climbs from a stop. But I get a smoother result with the ECO making the response a bit mushy.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Assuming that you don't have some kind of mechanical failure, I found that I had to relearn how to use the accelerator (Gas pedal) on these cars.

When you want to accelerate, just push down on the accelerator very slightly at first. Then after a half second delay, you can push down harder. If you push down hard too quickly, the car hesitates. You have to operate the accelerator smoothly. It is just a "feature" (quirk) of these cars.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Pretty much characteristic of CVT on Hondas, they seem to judder and "slip" when accelerating. Depending on the mileage, a CVT fluid change usually fixes most issues. If the fluid gets old it tends to do this worse. In the past when it has been really bad with other models, Honda's fix has been to change out the fluid and do a PCM update with new software to lessen the bucking.

King01

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport
Country flag
Has anyone experienced either of of these weird CVT behaviors? I have a 2019 Civic Sport (non-turbo).

1) Sometimes when I accelerate from stop or low speed (<10 MPH) up a hill to about 20 MPH with constant, light gas pedal input, the car's RPMs will pulse/surge up and down 200ish RPMs back and forth several times until I reach the top of the hill. This happens maybe 20% of the time I drive up the hill in my neighborhood. It never happens in sport mode, and it doesn't seem to happen if I give it a lot of gas in drive either.

2) Sometimes when I'm accelerating on a flat road (not a hill) at a safe speed, the car will gradually build up RPMs, but then around 24-26 MPH the car will jerk and the revs will instantly go up 300+ RPMs and then continue steadily gaining revs like normal. It always happens around 24-26 MPH.

Both of these CVT behaviors happen when the engine temp is cold or warm, and in all sorts of weather conditions. I found a thread where people had pulsing/surging at highway speeds, but I've never experienced any pulsing/surging RPMs at higher speeds (30+ MPH) or in sport mode. I understand why there could be jerkyness when getting on and off the gas, but these issues happen when accelerating with smooth or steady throttle input.

I drive my girlfriend's 2008 Nissan Sentra with a CVT regularly, and neither of these issues happen, so I'm not sure if these are specific to the way Honda's CVT is programmed or if I have a problem.

Thanks!
I have the same car. Just got it a year ago and I’m dealing with the same exact issue. I even started a thread on the issue. If you’re driving highway speeds it drives perfectly, but as soon as rush hour starts and you’re stopping and going it drives all over the place. I feel the pain man, let me know if you’ve found anything to help!!!

OP
OP

GromRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I have the same car. Just got it a year ago and I’m dealing with the same exact issue. I even started a thread on the issue. If you’re driving highway speeds it drives perfectly, but as soon as rush hour starts and you’re stopping and going it drives all over the place. I feel the pain man, let me know if you’ve found anything to help!!!
Sorry, still does the same thing after 50,000 miles and two CVT fluid changes. It's definitely annoying when it happens. On the plus side, it hasn't gotten any worse :)

There are certain places where my car always has the issue, so I put it in sport mode temporarily to avoid it. Eco mode seems to prevent the issue too.

I'm really hoping it's a software issue and not the belt slipping.
Sponsored