Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not sure how recalls work with a rebuild but in the letter it says the CVT is one of the things they cover replacement for 6 years unlimited mileage.
Also the letter says that only some are effected however dealership told me ALL 2016-2018 Civics and CRVs with 1.5L turbo are effected.
Good luck, hope this helps

4D8B6137-60CF-46DB-B2B2-F89ADFB4B1FC.jpeg
Two things to keep in mind. That warranty update is a Canada only item. And the OP's car was a salvaged vehicle; it won't have the same warranty coverage.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, despite the exploded tranny, for $12k plus $600 for a replacement CVT, the risk was still worth it. You could afford several more CVTs and still be ahead. Good luck with the fix! Are you attempting yourself? Or having a mechanic do it?

AhabSnake

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic vti s Luxe
Country flag
I do the same thing, and honestly I have pressed the gas pedal sometimes. Page 97 in the manual says, "When you change the shift lever from D to R and vice versa, come to a complete stop and keep the brake pedal depressed. Operating the shift lever before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill can damage the transmission. Do not operate the shift lever while pressing the accelerator pedal. You could damage the transmission."
People actually do that while moving?

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Really looking forward to the pics of the swap. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but not to beat a dead horse, this doesn't seem to be a common early failure problem, so hopefully the replacement one on the way won't give you further troubles.

Squonky

First Name
Squonky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Prestige 1.5T, CVT
Country flag
Today my Civic decided that I didn't need to make it to work on time...This is what I found

CVTBelt.jpg
Nooooo! I live in fear of this happening. It’s true that these Honda CVTs don’t (yet!) have a history of self-destructing but I tend to ‘baby’ mine just in case.

I’m intrigued by the design of the sliding mechanism that allows the variators to move along their shafts. When you dismantled your transmission, did you notice whether the variators are keyed to the shafts with balls or rollers? There’s a good YouTube video where a guy strips down a Nissan CVT and finds that worn-down balls caused the variator to sieze on the shaft, and that caused the belt to break. Apparently Nissan have modified the design to use rollers instead of balls. I wondered what Honda did on their CVT - can you see?

Also, I’m intrigued by how much wear is visible on the ends of the unbroken belt segments, and also on the variator faces? There’s another good YouTube video where a Hondata guy shows what happens with a high degree of tune applied to the ECU: the engine ripped the friction faces of the belt and the variators to b*ggery and from then on it was well and truly hosed.

My third and final question - if you are able to oblige me - did you see any kind of transmission fluid filter, or magnet(s) to catch whatever gets worn off the friction faces? I’ve had mine from brand new and got 14k miles on it in 15 months. In the UK we only get 3 years warranty on the whole car. I’m tempted to buy the Honda extended warranty when that’s up.

Good luck with your fix - I’ll subcribe for updates on this thread.

OP
OP
HandyAndy1013

HandyAndy1013

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L 1.5T, 2011 Honda Pilot Touring, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1999 F-150 4x4
Country flag
Nooooo! I live in fear of this happening. It’s true that these Honda CVTs don’t (yet!) have a history of self-destructing but I tend to ‘baby’ mine just in case.

I’m intrigued by the design of the sliding mechanism that allows the variators to move along their shafts. When you dismantled your transmission, did you notice whether the variators are keyed to the shafts with balls or rollers? There’s a good YouTube video where a guy strips down a Nissan CVT and finds that worn-down balls caused the variator to sieze on the shaft, and that caused the belt to break. Apparently Nissan have modified the design to use rollers instead of balls. I wondered what Honda did on their CVT - can you see?

I did not disassemble the trans, just not enough time in my day to do that. I did remove the valve body to keep it for parts but that didn't expose the internal parts.

Also, I’m intrigued by how much wear is visible on the ends of the unbroken belt segments, and also on the variator faces? There’s another good YouTube video where a Hondata guy shows what happens with a high degree of tune applied to the ECU: the engine ripped the friction faces of the belt and the variators to b*ggery and from then on it was well and truly hosed.

My third and final question - if you are able to oblige me - did you see any kind of transmission fluid filter, or magnet(s) to catch whatever gets worn off the friction faces? I’ve had mine from brand new and got 14k miles on it in 15 months. In the UK we only get 3 years warranty on the whole car. I’m tempted to buy the Honda extended warranty when that’s up.

There are two rather large magnets attached to the bottom of the transmission pan, which held quite a lot of material, The filter looks robust and is a pleated fleece looking material and is easily replaceable.

Good luck with your fix - I’ll subcribe for updates on this thread.
I did not disassemble the trans, just not enough time in my day to do that. I did remove the valve body to keep it for parts but that didn't expose the internal parts. There are two rather large magnets attached to the bottom of the transmission pan, which held quite a lot of material, The filter looks robust and is a pleated fleece looking material and is easily replaceable.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ Hopefully that pic was meant to be part of the CVT replacement photoshoot and not an outtake from a rectal exam. :eek:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
[QUOTE= sliding mechanism
move along their shafts.
keyed to the shafts with balls or rollers?
There’s a good YouTube video where a guy strips down
worn-down balls
sieze on the shaft,
balls
b*ggery and from then on it was well and truly hosed[/QUote

:bow:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car has a stock tune, as far as I know. It has been a dream to drive for the last 4k miles, then this happened. I work in the automotive collision industry, and have witnessed MANY cars that were hit hard, repaired, with no issues like this. Who knows, maybe it was a "perfect storm" situation, but it is odd that there were no symptoms prior to the failure. I work next to a Honda dealer, and have some contacts in the shop to get advice from. I was informed that the belt rarely comes apart like this, but they do see it from time to time. There are no parts available to repair the existing unit (according to Honda), so no matter what the trans has to be swapped. After going on the hunt for a used I found an issue.... The software that salvage yards use shows that all sedans with CVT use the same trans, 2.0 N/A and 1.5t according to them both engines share the same mixer...
I inquired with the guys I know at the Honda dealer and was told that there is a slight part number difference.... So, easy right? Just find a used trans from a CVT car that was paired to a 1.5t, right? They do exist, but no where around here at the moment. Luckily I have other transportation options so I can be patient and find what works best. Honda only quoted me a reman trans @$2200, I didn't even think about asking about a new one till I do some digging. Thanks for all of the replies and condolences. Keep watch for a trans swap post.
2200 really isn't bad if you're doing the labor for such a new trans

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Awesome! I’ve been given the ‘Finbarr Saunders’ treatment! (Google him.)
Hmm... I was going more for a 'Beavis and Butt-Head' flavor. But it certainly was a term or endearment from my inner 12 year old to you. Carry on.

OP
OP
HandyAndy1013

HandyAndy1013

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L 1.5T, 2011 Honda Pilot Touring, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 1999 F-150 4x4
Country flag
That’s a serious workshop you got there m’ man. Looks kike a HUGE amount of work.

When mine hits 3yrs old, I’m going to take the extended warranty!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I wish I had more time for a proper write up, but will be glad to provide info if anyone else needs instructions. Luckily I work on cars daily, and the shop I work for allows me to do as I wish in regards to my own vehicle repair. I started about 9am, and was warming the engine by 3pm. I had to make 3 trips next door to the Honda dealer for fluid because it needed more than 4 (or 6) and I had one of their techs reset/relearn the pcm. Everything has been great so far, and I still have no regrets about buying this car.
Sponsored