CarPlay issues

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
I've heard that if your phone is connected to your home wifi when you start your car that you can have problems with the wireless adapters. Have you experienced anything like that?
Possibly did this morning? It connected and started playing music but I couldn't get to the CarPlay screen. I just went to Airplane mode for a couple seconds and back and it connected up fine the second time though.

I noticed the wrong time on mine also. I would try pulling the fuse, touching the battery terminals together, or bringing it to the dealer.
In Arizona I had to turn off DST to get it to show the right time, which actually makes sense since we don't do DST here. There's a ton of controls to tinker with in the System area for this. If it's one hour off, maybe DST got left off on your system or set to manual adjust somehow.
Sponsored

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Possibly did this morning? It connected and started playing music but I couldn't get to the CarPlay screen. I just went to Airplane mode for a couple seconds and back and it connected up fine the second time though.

In Arizona I had to turn off DST to get it to show the right time, which actually makes sense since we don't do DST here. There's a ton of controls to tinker with in the System area for this. If it's one hour off, maybe DST got left off on your system or set to manual adjust somehow.
For me, the time was off by many hours, but had the right minute. I think it might have been showing GMT, but I don't recall.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I noticed today my clock is off again, by 4 hours which is GMT time.

Carplay has been noticeably better, however it did crash twice in about the last 7 or so times I drove the car. When it has crashed, it seems to crash right away, about 5 seconds or so after I start going. So today I opened and setup my wireless carplay adapter. Setup was super easy. Curious if this will result in less crashes.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
My CarPlay had the same issues took it to the dealer yesterday and they didn't find anything. I just disabled bluetooth on my phone and have had no issues since.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I've driven the car quite a bit with the wireless carplay dongle with 0 of the crashes that I experienced before. I've found it works pretty well in general. Occasionally takes an extra second or two to connect. By that I mean it will show the 'Smartphone connection' button as 'CarPlay' but if I tap on it too soon, the head unit will say something along the lines of 'when it's safe to do so, try plugging and unplugging'.

The only downside is that Honda's LogR app doesn't seem to work wirelessly.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've driven the car quite a bit with the wireless carplay dongle with 0 of the crashes that I experienced before. I've found it works pretty well in general. Occasionally takes an extra second or two to connect. By that I mean it will show the 'Smartphone connection' button as 'CarPlay' but if I tap on it too soon, the head unit will say something along the lines of 'when it's safe to do so, try plugging and unplugging'.

The only downside is that Honda's LogR app doesn't seem to work wirelessly.
Upon starting the car:
  • If you are on the Home Screen or outside Apple CarPlayā€™s screens, do not enter the Apple CarPlay screen until you hear music playing or your phone shows the CarPlay screen. This causes the the dongle to lock up.
  • If you are on the Apple CarPlay screen while itā€™s trying to connect to the phone, do not exit CarPlay until it has either connected or failed to connect. Doing so will cause the dongle to lock up.
  • If the dongle is attempting to connect, going into reverse will also lock it up.
The dongle itself is kind of quirky on its own, but does work well so long as you stick to Appleā€™s apps. I know Waze is horrid on the dongle; I havenā€™t tested Google Maps though. Likewise I use Apple Music and havenā€™t had the chance to test other music apps.

It really sucks that LogR doesnā€™t work through the dongle, but itā€™s not surprising to be honest. Kind of a shame that you have to choose between a more stable CarPlay experience or LogR though.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Upon starting the car:
  • If you are on the Home Screen or outside Apple CarPlayā€™s screens, do not enter the Apple CarPlay screen until you hear music playing or your phone shows the CarPlay screen. This causes the the dongle to lock up.
  • If you are on the Apple CarPlay screen while itā€™s trying to connect to the phone, do not exit CarPlay until it has either connected or failed to connect. Doing so will cause the dongle to lock up.
  • If the dongle is attempting to connect, going into reverse will also lock it up.
The dongle itself is kind of quirky on its own, but does work well so long as you stick to Appleā€™s apps. I know Waze is horrid on the dongle; I havenā€™t tested Google Maps though. Likewise I use Apple Music and havenā€™t had the chance to test other music apps.

It really sucks that LogR doesnā€™t work through the dongle, but itā€™s not surprising to be honest. Kind of a shame that you have to choose between a more stable CarPlay experience or LogR though.
I havenā€™t experience any issues with the dongle locking up when going to reverse. Iā€™m trying not to do anything special as it should ā€˜just workā€™ and it does.
I tend to use Waze with it for almost every trip / drive in the car and have never experienced any slowness / weirdness / horridness. Waze seems to work exactly the same as if itā€™s plugged in. If Waze didnā€™t work, Iā€™d almost certainly have returned it.
I tend to use Apple Music, but listen to podcasts via Overcast and it works flawlessly.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
I havenā€™t experience any issues with the dongle locking up when going to reverse. Iā€™m trying not to do anything special as it should ā€˜just workā€™ and it does.
I tend to use Waze with it for almost every trip / drive in the car and have never experienced any slowness / weirdness / horridness. Waze seems to work exactly the same as if itā€™s plugged in. If Waze didnā€™t work, Iā€™d almost certainly have returned it.
I tend to use Apple Music, but listen to podcasts via Overcast and it works flawlessly.
Which dongle are you using?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
CarPlay dongle continues to work just about trouble free. The only occasional hiccup is the one I mentioned before. I saw the Apple has announced that iOS 14.5 will be released next week, I'll be installing that and trying out the wired carplay connection again. So far I've held off on trying the beta since I'm happy enough with the wireless dongles performance.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For the folks having issues with time, the Nav syncs with the GPS which has time information and that should update your car's clock based on your location.
NAV is always running in the background, consuming resources, eating up processor time, taking up RAM we could be using for I don't know, MAKING THE RADIO RUN BETTER? lol.
Does anyone know how to disable the Navi in our cars?

21BBTYPR

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Type R
I've had a '21 Type R for about 3 weeks and the Head Unit (HU) will lock-up if the car is started with the iPhone (12mini, iOS 14.4) plugged-in.

Recovery requires deleting CarPlay assoications in both HU and iPhone settings and then resetting the HU (push/hold volume.)

The CPLAY2air CarPlay wireless adapter has been working without issues (no LogR). Be sure to delete all Bluetooth associations in both HU and iPhone before installing CPLAY2air.

This issue was probably known by Honda from day one. Don't expect it to be fixed.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
I see iOS 14.5 is out now. Going to install it now and test tomorrow. I may still keep using the wireless adapter even if it works flawlessly plugged in for convenience, however Iā€™d like to try LogR at autocross just to see how the data is.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I see iOS 14.5 is out now. Going to install it now and test tomorrow. I may still keep using the wireless adapter even if it works flawlessly plugged in for convenience, however Iā€™d like to try LogR at autocross just to see how the data is.
Iā€™ve found it a little tricky to use at autocross. Itā€™s really been designed for lapping, not courses with different start and ending points. Itā€™s definitely possible, but I find it difficult to remember to hit the timing button when Iā€™m ripping it on a run. It is useful for coolant and oil temps though.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Drove about 15 minutes today on 14.5 with no issues. Obviously not a long drive but was happy enough that everything seems to be working so far.

Iā€™ve found it a little tricky to use at autocross. Itā€™s really been designed for lapping, not courses with different start and ending points. Itā€™s definitely possible, but I find it difficult to remember to hit the timing button when Iā€™m ripping it on a run. It is useful for coolant and oil temps though.
You can set both a start and end point when you set up a new location in the app. See the first two or so minutes of this Honda video. I'm not sure if it would be precise enough for autocross, and the overheard satellite view really doesn't help an ever changing course.
Sponsored