rfcunnin

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
I had this exact issue happen to me on my way to work this morning. I took delivery of my car on Friday and it seemed to work fine through the weekend. I upgraded to the iOS 14.5 beta yesterday, so I assumed it had something to do with that. Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll have to try some other things out.
Sponsored

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Yeah me too. I delete the car from CarPlay settings on my phone to get it to work, but usually will be back to not working again in a week or two.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
From day one Car play on mine is intermittent also, i have a separate unsimmed iPhone 6 in my glove box with wifi on only that i leave permanently connected. Intermittently and randomly it hangs in a variety of ways i won't go into here but usually requires either unplugging the phone and reboot of the radio or unplug and worst case power car off and on. The phone is kept up to date on iOS versions and my prior daily iPhone X and after that my iPhone 12 all have random weird hangs with the Honda radio.
Software on the radio is garbage, and I guarantee you the SOC running the radio is ancient and running the radio and Honda Navi (it's always on) in the background is almost all it can do, hence the sluggish slow response of the radio.
Based on prior history of all car radios this is as good as it's going to get. If one could disable Navi in the background i wonder how much that would help...i know the clock would probably be off due to the GPS syncing time with the Sats.

OP
OP

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
From day one Car play on mine is intermittent also, i have a separate unsimmed iPhone 6 in my glove box with wifi on only that i leave permanently connected. Intermittently and randomly it hangs in a variety of ways i won't go into here but usually requires either unplugging the phone and reboot of the radio or unplug and worst case power car off and on. The phone is kept up to date on iOS versions and my prior daily iPhone X and after that my iPhone 12 all have random weird hangs with the Honda radio.
Software on the radio is garbage, and I guarantee you the SOC running the radio is ancient and running the radio and Honda Navi (it's always on) in the background is almost all it can do, hence the sluggish slow response of the radio.
Based on prior history of all car radios this is as good as it's going to get. If one could disable Navi in the background i wonder how much that would help...i know the clock would probably be off due to the GPS syncing time with the Sats.
Another setting I found in the radio was by default it clears out the ram everyday at 2am, it says this is required because it runs android. this is 100% false and I disabled that. Since I stopped that my radio is alot smoother, probably because it isn't trying to load everything back into ram daily when I drive the car.If it ever gets bad enough I will just restart the radio like you would your phone...it cleaning the ram nightly is stupid and that is not how Linux works regardless..

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Are you using the alternate skin on your head unit? The tile style one? That one has always made it very buggy. If so, revert back to the default.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I have the exact same issue since last year after upgrading to iOS 14(2019 FK8 + ipxs max w/iOS 14.3). Carplay will crash & go black screen after ~5mins, mostly after I switch into the 2nd gear on the road.

Things that I tried and know:

1. Switch several cables (include oem&after market), does not work.
2. Turn off Honda connection on my iphone, does not work.
3. Upgrade iOS (14.2 to 14.3) can temporarily solve the issue, but it is no gaurantee, for me the problem came back after 1 month.
4. Tried my wife's iphone 6s w/ lower iOS, works well...
Since I never had such issue on iOS 13. I figure it is most likely to be something wrong with the headunit: it has been tested for iOS 13, but not future-proof, so when we upgrade to iOS 14 bug happened.

The solution I have now is to use a wireless carplay dongle, seem to be working all right.

Last edited:

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
If your phone is also connecting to the car via Bluetooth, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and delete the Honda connection. I was having horrible CarPlay problems with iOS 14, and deleting the bluetooth connection seems to have solved it.
Just turning off my phones Bluetooth off has made a big difference in how smooth the CarPlay functions. Try this first

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have the exact same issue since last year after upgrading to iOS 14(2019 FK8 + ipxs max w/iOS 14.3). Carplay will crash & go black screen after ~5mins, mostly after I switch into the 2nd gear on the road.

Things that I tried and know:

1. Switch several cables (include oem&after market), does not work.
2. Turn off Honda connection on my iphone, does not work.
3. Upgrade iOS (14.2 to 14.3) can temporarily solve the issue, but it is no gaurantee, for me the problem came back after 1 month.
4. Tried my wife's iphone 6s w/ lower iOS, works well...
Since I never had such issue on iOS 13. I figure it is most likely to be something wrong with the headunit: it has been tested for iOS 13, but not future-proof, so when we upgrade to iOS 14 bug happened.

The solution I have now is to use a wireless carplay dongle, seem to be working all right.
It seems like a lot of people have had luck as @EPSi2FKR stated, by removing the Honda from your BT settings in your infotainment. Remove it from your iPhone too, but make sure you remove the right “Honda” car (since you’re using the wireless CarPlay dongle, that has it’s own BT connection). Might be worth a shot if you haven’t tried it already.

Edit: I know I’ve stated this like 20 times now in this thread, but take it to a dealership and let Honda know if you haven’t already. The more they hear about it the more they are likely to release a firmware update for the head unit to address this issue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
It seems like a lot of people have had luck as @EPSi2FKR stated, by removing the Honda from your BT settings in your infotainment. Remove it from your iPhone too, but make sure you remove the right “Honda” car (since you’re using the wireless CarPlay dongle, that has it’s own BT connection). Might be worth a shot if you haven’t tried it already.

Edit: I know I’ve stated this like 20 times now in this thread, but take it to a dealership and let Honda know if you haven’t already. The more they hear about it the more they are likely to release a firmware update for the head unit to address this issue.
Thanks, I just updated to iOS 14.4 so everything is good so far..will definitely try it out when next time having the bug.

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Only fix I’ve found is to reset the head unit and set up CarPlay from scratch. Will last for a few hours if I’m lucky. So I’d say something is broken and we need help from Honda or Apple to find the issue.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It may be a coincidence but heavy acceleration causes my Carplay to go black. The phone shows no error and the radio all other functions are ok. Have to long press power button for soft reset to correct.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
It may be a coincidence but heavy acceleration causes my Carplay to go black. The phone shows no error and the radio all other functions are ok. Have to long press power button for soft reset to correct.
That’s got to be cable related. I bet your cable is going out or you have lint in your lightning port on your phone.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That’s got to be cable related. I bet your cable is going out or you have lint in your lightning port on your phone.
First thing I checked I’ll keep an eye
First thing checked, I’ll keep an eye on it. Like I said no errors on phone screen.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Only fix I’ve found is to reset the head unit and set up CarPlay from scratch. Will last for a few hours if I’m lucky. So I’d say something is broken and we need help from Honda or Apple to find the issue.
If you're on the beta, you can report a bug to Apple for them to investigate as well. Though I feel like the issue is likely on the Honda side. The most recent betas have fixed up some of the oddities I've had with my CarPlay2Air which I wasn't expecting. The oddities still happen, but a lot less often.

XyppeR

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I had a similar issue shortly after buying my CTR, my phone would randomly disconnect and would not reconnect unless I unplugged / replugged the cord. Turns out all I needed to do to fix it was take a tooth pick to the charging port on my phone. So much lint! It has worked flawlessly since, and I try to clean my phones charging port at least once a month now.
Sponsored