wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I have the same issue in the past 2 days on my 1.5-week old LE. Never had any issue on my 2017.

I couldn’t even reboot my head unit this morning. (Press and hold power button, wait for the reboot menu to pop up, press reboot, nothing happen).

Will try to remove Bluetooth from my phone to see if it helps this afternoon.
Sponsored

rfcunnin

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
Just to update. I removed my phone from Bluetooth and haven’t had an issue since the beginning of the month. Don’t know if it’s a long term fix, but it’s been a few weeks since I’ve had an issue at the very least.

Itzfreshkickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been having the same problem with my 2020 Sport Touring. Sometimes I unplug my phone and the CarPlay screen stays black but everything else works. And my gauge panel still shows the artwork for song I was playing. I just reboot the radio.

I will try turning off Bluetooth

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Disabling the bluetooth has made all the difference for me. I haven’t had a single crash since. I think it’s been almost 2 months now.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I concur. I’ve deleted the pairing and haven’t had a problem for 2 days

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Took delivery last week and are having similar Carplay issues.
Usually I can't finish a song before the screen goes black. I can go 'Home' on the HU, but clicking back to Carplay shows a black screen. Strangely when I disconnect my phone, the HU still thinks the phone is connected. Rebooting the HU, usually gets it to work for some short period of time.

I feel like I've tried just about everything. Factory Reset HU. Brand new Apple cable. Cleaning lint from phone. Updating iOS (14.4). Disconnecting BT, all with no dice.

I brought it to the dealer this morning and of course it worked fine. They had no real solutions other than 'it's the cable' but with a brand new cable it is still happening. I would 100% go to the 14.5 public beta if I knew it would fix it, but that seems unlikely. I'm almost certain the problem is with the head unit, as it continues to think it's connected to carplay even after I physically unplug the phone. Resorted to taking videos with an iPad to show the problem happening. Hopefully the dealer will do something / anything about it.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
Took delivery last week and are having similar Carplay issues.
Usually I can't finish a song before the screen goes black. I can go 'Home' on the HU, but clicking back to Carplay shows a black screen. Strangely when I disconnect my phone, the HU still thinks the phone is connected. Rebooting the HU, usually gets it to work for some short period of time.

I feel like I've tried just about everything. Factory Reset HU. Brand new Apple cable. Cleaning lint from phone. Updating iOS (14.4). Disconnecting BT, all with no dice.

I brought it to the dealer this morning and of course it worked fine. They had no real solutions other than 'it's the cable' but with a brand new cable it is still happening. I would 100% go to the 14.5 public beta if I knew it would fix it, but that seems unlikely. I'm almost certain the problem is with the head unit, as it continues to think it's connected to carplay even after I physically unplug the phone. Resorted to taking videos with an iPad to show the problem happening. Hopefully the dealer will do something / anything about it.
Did you try deleting the bluetooth like many others in the thread?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Did you try deleting the bluetooth like many others in the thread?
Yes, I tried that first actually, but I didn't have BT setup in the car yet.

I then set it up, and still had the same issue. I'll try deleting BT with the new cable. Also doing a deep clean of my phone's charging port. At this point I'd buy a new phone if it meant it would be resolved. Currently using an iPhone 11 Pro.

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
Their system appears to be royally hozed right now. On my 21 CTR that I took delivery of on Feb 24th, a 100% sure-fire way to kill CarPlay is to plug the iPhone in before the stereo has completed booting and put it in reverse and then drive forward. About 95% of the time the screen will go black within a block.

Things I've tried:
  • 4 different cables, some Apple, some not, all working on other computers, cars, one brand new out of the box, all MFi certified. None helped.
  • Enabling or disabling BlueTooth. Neither state helped.
  • Disabling all the extra CarPlay stuff… eg, black wallpaper and no Siri suggestions or album art. Nope…
  • Resetting the network settings on the iPhone. Nope…
  • Factory resetting the iPhone (12 Pro Max running iOS 14.4.1 at this point) and copying all 150gb of data back on. Nope…
  • Trying a completely different, factory reset iPhone paired to a different Apple ID (aka borrowing the iPhone XS I just gave to my mom because I got a 12 Pro Max). Nopity nope nope nope.
  • Having the dealership reset the whole system not once, but twice. Nope plus finger pointing.
The next thing on my list is buying a wireless CarPlay adapter. I have heard (and this sort of makes sense) that the adapter can talk to the stereo without crashing it and the iPhone can then talk to the adapter without crashing it, thereby forging a somewhat stable chain. I'll find out later in the week when it arrives if this is actually true or not.

The second time I went into the dealership, the lead tech went for a drive with me and was able to reproduce the issue even. He then had me pull out the car manual and flipped to the page that says that Honda is not responsible under warranty for ensuring CarPlay works. He said it is up to Apple to fix this. He also claimed that Android Auto was more stable because it's two Android systems interfacing which is a massive pile of BS, but whatever. At any rate, coming from a Focus RS, it's an amazingly frustrating situation. If Ford Sync (admittedly based on QNX not Android) can provide such a stable experience and actually provide updates when things go wrong, why can't Honda? ?

I'll post back if the wireless CarPlay thing works out. It's $100 solution to a Honda and Apple problem though, even if it does work.

Oh yeah, and if you're experiencing this in any Honda with iOS 14.4, I strongly recommend tweeting @AppleSupport at the very least so they start to escalate the priority on this, either by leaning on Honda to fix their ish or by issuing some sort of compatibility patch for Honda CarPlay.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Their system appears to be royally hozed right now. On my 21 CTR that I took delivery of on Feb 24th, a 100% sure-fire way to kill CarPlay is to plug the iPhone in before the stereo has completed booting and put it in reverse and then drive forward. About 95% of the time the screen will go black within a block.

Things I've tried:
  • 4 different cables, some Apple, some not, all working on other computers, cars, one brand new out of the box, all MFi certified. None helped.
  • Disabling all the extra CarPlay stuff… eg, black wallpaper and no Siri suggestions or album art. Nope…
  • Factory resetting the iPhone (12 Pro Max running iOS 14.4.1 at this point) and copying all 150gb of data back on. Nope…
  • Trying a completely different, factory reset iPhone paired to a different Apple ID (aka borrowing the iPhone XS I just gave to my mom because I got a 12 Pro Max). Nopity nope nope nope.
  • Having the dealership reset the whole system not once, but twice. Nope plus finger pointing.
The next thing on my list is buying a wireless CarPlay adapter. I have heard (and this sort of makes sense) that the adapter can talk to the stereo without crashing it and the iPhone can then talk to the adapter without crashing it, thereby forging a somewhat stable chain. I'll find out later in the week when it arrives if this is actually true or not.

The second time I went into the dealership, the lead tech went for a drive with me and was able to reproduce the issue even. He then had me pull out the car manual and flipped to the page that says that Honda is not responsible under warranty for ensuring CarPlay works. He said it is up to Apple to fix this. He also claimed that Android Auto was more stable because it's two Android systems interfacing which is a massive pile of BS, but whatever. At any rate, coming from a Focus RS, it's an amazingly frustrating situation. If Ford Sync (admittedly based on QNX not Android) can provide such a stable experience and actually provide updates when things go wrong, why can't Honda? ?

I'll post back if the wireless CarPlay thing works out. It's $100 solution to a Honda and Apple problem though, even if it does work.

Oh yeah, and if you're experiencing this in any Honda with iOS 14.4, I strongly recommend tweeting @AppleSupport at the very least so they start to escalate the priority on this, either by leaning on Honda to fix their ish or by issuing some sort of compatibility patch for Honda CarPlay.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. When the dealership reset the system, did they do it by pulling the fuse?

I think that's the only thing left for me. I tried my wife's phone tonight and get the same issue.

Thinking I'll try pulling the fuse and following the steps here:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/head-unit-not-responding-to-touches.28359/post-479423

My other thoughts are trying the 14.5 public beta, or the wireless carplay dongle. Please keep us posted @heavyboots . I may try that too, if the dealership continues to be of zero help to me.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Things I've tried:

My wireless CarPlay has a similar issue with the going into reverse and black screen. But normally it’ll do this if it is in the process of connecting to your iPhone and you go into reverse and activate the reverse camera.

Basically, the car starts and A) the infotainment boots up, B) the wireless dongle begins connecting to the iPhone, and C) the iPhone connects. If I go into reverse during B, the screen will run black until I unplug and replug the dongle back in (Or restart the car).

Edit: note I’m not on a 2020/21 model though.

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
My wireless CarPlay has a similar issue with the going into reverse and black screen. But normally it’ll do this if it is in the process of connecting to your iPhone and you go into reverse and activate the reverse camera.

Basically, the car starts and A) the infotainment boots up, B) the wireless dongle begins connecting to the iPhone, and C) the iPhone connects. If I go into reverse during B, the screen will run black until I unplug and replug the dongle back in (Or restart the car).

Edit: note I’m not on a 2020/21 model though.
Argh, so that sounds like the wireless dongle may no completely resolve the issues…

Just out of curiosity, you having any other instability aside from that or does CarPlay basically work as advertised? Mine will randomly crash to black screen at other times too, but not in a reliable way like with the reverse while the head unit is booting trick.

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
Sounds like we're in the same boat. When the dealership reset the system, did they do it by pulling the fuse?

I think that's the only thing left for me. I tried my wife's phone tonight and get the same issue.

Thinking I'll try pulling the fuse and following the steps here:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/head-unit-not-responding-to-touches.28359/post-479423

My other thoughts are trying the 14.5 public beta, or the wireless carplay dongle. Please keep us posted @heavyboots . I may try that too, if the dealership continues to be of zero help to me.
Cool, LMK if the fuse does anything? I am uncertain if they did that or not in my case. They had the car for about 45 minutes the first time, so I'm assuming so but I don't know for sure.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Argh, so that sounds like the wireless dongle may no completely resolve the issues…

Just out of curiosity, you having any other instability aside from that or does CarPlay basically work as advertised? Mine will randomly crash to black screen at other times too, but not in a reliable way like with the reverse while the head unit is booting trick.
I haven't noticed the reverse causing black. For me I often can't get through a single song before it crashes to black. I think the longest it had gone while working was sitting in the dealer service line. I've tried to replicate it but there doesn't seem to be a clear root cause on mine.

I may order a dongle too. Which did you order? Maybe I'll try a different one just in case one of them works.

I should note that in my wife's Odyssey (which has the nicer headunit out of the accord) Carplay works flawlessly 100% of the time on both of our phones.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

2017-2018 FK8 had an issue where CarPlay would regularly drop out that was addressed through a firmware update. Said update is not available for the 2019+ models though. It seems that 2019+ models do still have issues with CarPlay too. Keep reporting it to Honda so they eventually release a firmware update has been my suggestions up to now.
Sponsored