ssmarcus841z

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic si sedan fc1
Country flag
Hey forum, so far I have been using 0w-20 for my track days and I have had no issues, however I have been doing some research and I am probably going to run 5w-30 from now on, not wanting to take any chances as I had a friend blow his 86 motor with 0w-20. I always change my oil right before a track day and at 3000 miles. I'm wondering if it's ok to run on the 5w-30 here in socal as daily after the track day? I am not really wanting to come home and have the change the oil again. I would change it after the 3000 miles back to the 0w-20, what do you guys recommend.
Sponsored

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I live in Arizona and use to daily it on 5w30 it’s just oil. Way better for the car than that thin oem spec

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I've been running 5w-30 in my FK7 for the past 15k or so, multiple track days, 5-7k change intervals (I'm lazy about that and need to do better) and it's been problem free so far. Just make sure it's a good synthetic oil.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
5w30 is spec in non US markets iirc. 0w20 is an eco blend for friction efficiency for fleet fuel economy. 5w30 is fine in the engine.

Bootleg Bill

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i got no problems so far i even feel the engine is more quiet now:headbang:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've been running 5w-30 in my FK7 for the past 15k or so, multiple track days, 5-7k change intervals (I'm lazy about that and need to do better) and it's been problem free so far. Just make sure it's a good synthetic oil.
Do you use Torco what’s your go to brand?

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Do you use Torco what’s your go to brand?
I've never tried that brand but I've heard good things. I just grab Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 from a local place, it's what I run in all of my cars that aren't a dedicated track car. The L15B engine isn't all that expensive so balling out on a top of the line oil is hard for me to justify when a very good synthetic that's readily available locally does the same job at a much lower price. I don't see an advantage to the motorsports oils in a street car.

The things that set the motorsports grade oils (Amsoil, Motul, Redline, Torco etc.) apart from the high end synthetics (Pennzoil Plat, Mobil1, Castrol, Valvoline etc) is that they are much more shear stable (they don't degrade fast) at the high temperatures that you'll see in a racecar on a racetrack, and they typically have additive packages to help reduce foaming in the oil which helps keep more stable oil pressure since the oil is less aerated.

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Yeah as mentioned 0w30 and 5w30 are both specified as options in the euro owners handbook. I'm probably going to go 0w30 for my next change as the OEM honda stuff is getting weirdly expensive here and 0w30 is way more available.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've never tried that brand but I've heard good things. I just grab Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 from a local place, it's what I run in all of my cars that aren't a dedicated track car. The L15B engine isn't all that expensive so balling out on a top of the line oil is hard for me to justify when a very good synthetic that's readily available locally does the same job at a much lower price. I don't see an advantage to the motorsports oils in a street car.

The things that set the motorsports grade oils (Amsoil, Motul, Redline, Torco etc.) apart from the high end synthetics (Pennzoil Plat, Mobil1, Castrol, Valvoline etc) is that they are much more shear stable (they don't degrade fast) at the high temperatures that you'll see in a racecar on a racetrack, and they typically have additive packages to help reduce foaming in the oil which helps keep more stable oil pressure since the oil is less aerated.
Is Pennzoil Ultra Plat 0w-20 better than OEM 0w-20? I bought a lifetime oil plan from my dealer for $695 and have been changing my oil there every 4K miles, but if Pennzoil is better I’ll probably bring them that and have them change it.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Objectively no.

Especially if you are changing the synthetic at 4k miles, you’ll gain nothing from any potential “better” oil unless again you are racing the car and getting the oil to conditions that promote shear and viscosity breakdown with heat.

you already paid for the oil why pay for more oil?

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I run 5-30w daily and change at MM recommended (7,500-8,400) oil sampling by Blackstone labs shows no issues with that change interval. Once I hit 100k miles will go to a 5w-40 oil. My old civic ran to 326k miles when I sold it, no issues. After 200,000 miles I ran 10w-50 year round.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Is Pennzoil Ultra Plat 0w-20 better than OEM 0w-20? I bought a lifetime oil plan from my dealer for $695 and have been changing my oil there every 4K miles, but if Pennzoil is better I’ll probably bring them that and have them change it.
It depends what oil the dealer is using. It's pretty common for many dealers to use a syhthetic blend oil, which is basically part synthetic oil and part dino oil. It's better than straight dino oil but isn't as good as a straight synthetic oil. If they're using a full synthetic oil then stick with the plan you've got.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Changing it at 4k miles with essentially 50% of the remaining oil life left means no, definitely no concerns. At 4k miles your oil is still perfectly fine.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been running 0w40 Amsoil SS for over a year now. I do have a Built TSP short block though. After running oil analysis my 5w30 was shearing down to a 20 weight after a few thousand miles. 0w40 seems to shear down to 30 weight after a few thousand so I'm content with that.

You'll be just fine running any quality full synthetic 5w30.
Sponsored