Oil Catch Can issue?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Sale your Hondata and buy a Ktuner, with the extra cash you'll all most have enough left over to get a custom tune.
I have a brother in law with a 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT, will probably keep whichever I am not using for him.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Catch cans are a total waste and not needed. If they were needed, don't you suppose Honda and others would incorporate it in the design ? ! That relatively tiny amount does no harm, and maybe even some lube good. It also adds a maintenance item.
No manufacturer incorporates them because it would cost them a freaking fortune in tooling. An OEM installed catch can would be a $1000 part.

You're completely right that they are not "necessary", but it's a damn good idea to have one. This is what Ford is dealing with on the Ecoboost engines intercoolers. That gunk is going somewhere and your intake pathway is not a perfectly smooth pipe. It's going to settle somewhere.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can issue? maxresdefault

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
No manufacturer incorporates them because it would cost them a freaking fortune in tooling. An OEM installed catch can would be a $1000 part.

You're completely right that they are not "necessary", but it's a damn good idea to have one. This is what Ford is dealing with on the Ecoboost engines intercoolers. That gunk is going somewhere and your intake pathway is not a perfectly smooth pipe. It's going to settle somewhere.
maxresdefault.jpg
Did they pop a hole in an intercooler end tank?

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Catch cans are a total waste and not needed. If they were needed, don't you suppose Honda and others would incorporate it in the design ? ! That relatively tiny amount does no harm, and maybe even some lube good. It also adds a maintenance item.
Dude this is just totally false. The catch can sits in front of your intake manifold, which subsequently feeds into your cold side of turbo, intercooler and all of the charge piping, and then intake side valves. none of which need lube aside from the intake valves, which have plenty of lube (in the correct places) as is.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
>How many 10th gen civics are high boost/high HP?
>On this forum? Damn near every user is >running at least the base map >+6 psi tune.

Didn't say "On this forum" but was addressing overall population of Civic owners, of which this particular thread on this particular form, is indeed miniscule.

>No manufacturer incorporates them because it would cost them a >freaking fortune in tooling. An >OEM installed catch can would be a >$1000 part.

Typical faulty reasoning which could be applied to anything. Completely untrue. Point is that if they were really important or necessary, then designers would incorporate them. They don't.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
>How many 10th gen civics are high boost/high HP?
>On this forum? Damn near every user is >running at least the base map >+6 psi tune.

Didn't say "On this forum" but was addressing overall population of Civic owners, of which this particular thread on this particular form, is indeed miniscule.

>No manufacturer incorporates them because it would cost them a >freaking fortune in tooling. An >OEM installed catch can would be a >$1000 part.

Typical faulty reasoning which could be applied to anything. Completely untrue. Point is that if they were really important or necessary, then designers would incorporate them. They don't.
You know absolutely nothing about designing and manufacturing cars, so stop spouting. On the other hand, I deal with stuff like this every single day.

You've been banned once before, so I'm not even going to go more in depth with you on this. You've done good keeping your nose clean since you made your second account, but you have no credibility here.

OP
OP
Soulnchain

Soulnchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag
So the problem might be worse than i thought.
The weather here is finally warmer and i started driving with the windows down. Today i was at a stop, took off and accelerated into a tunnel, as i felt the engine hesitation i heard two loud CLAKs and then the engine tool off smoothly. I tried to simulate the event again and only got one CLAK this time, after that i tried again but nothing... It was a metallic like sound, the kind of sound you get when you drive over drain grilles on the pavement, i drove around and did the same road again just to make sure there weren't any (nope, there weren't).
What the heck could that be? I'm prone to think it's an engine issue, due to the hesitation before and the smooth acceleration after the sound.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's time to take it to the dealership and see if a mechanic can diagnose it. Sounds like some pretty abnormal behavior.

OP
OP
Soulnchain

Soulnchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag
I just reinstalled the original vacuum hose and drove to the car was a few miles away, no abnormal behavior or hesitation, as soon as i get her washed i’ll go for a longer drive and see.
What if the catch can had a pressure leak? Would i feel it driving?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just reinstalled the original vacuum hose and drove to the car was a few miles away, no abnormal behavior or hesitation, as soon as i get her washed i’ll go for a longer drive and see.
What if the catch can had a pressure leak? Would i feel it driving?
Ya, for sure. Vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of idle and acceleration issues. I would be shocked if you could have a vacuum leak and no check engine light tho.

OP
OP
Soulnchain

Soulnchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag
Maybe it’s just enough to give me acceleration issues but not enough to be picked up by the sensors? Once the RPMs are in the 2.500 range and above I have no issues, just in the low range when i give it 60/70% throttle

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Snoopyslr,

In answer to your kind answer to my comments, a few posts back.

Agreed, I'm not a designer of cars, are you ?
If so, please show me or refer me to one of your designs using a catch can.

I'm certainly not "spouting", just making a simple observation, and obvious inference.

No offence intended and sorry if any catch can users have a problem.

Be sure to let me know of any stock designs incorporating a catch can .

Last edited:

felipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 1.5T 6M, 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6M, 1997 Honda Accord LX 5M
Country flag
Maybe it’s just enough to give me acceleration issues but not enough to be picked up by the sensors? Once the RPMs are in the 2.500 range and above I have no issues, just in the low range when i give it 60/70% throttle
Do you have any other updates regarding this issue. I also have the mishimoto catch can and only in the last 3 months have I had issues. I have been using my A/C more and the issue is intermittent even with the A/C on. I used to be able to go up a 1,368 ft mountain pass basically in 6th gear but now I have to shift down to 4 gear with my foot down to the floor to even maintain speed with eco mode off. This happened just the other day and that same day on the way back the car had full power again and was able to maintain speed without any issues. It happens in or out of eco mode at random, I also run 92 premium.

OP
OP
Soulnchain

Soulnchain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag
Do you have any other updates regarding this issue. I also have the mishimoto catch can and only in the last 3 months have I had issues. I have been using my A/C more and the issue is intermittent even with the A/C on. I used to be able to go up a 1,368 ft mountain pass basically in 6th gear but now I have to shift down to 4 gear with my foot down to the floor to even maintain speed with eco mode off. This happened just the other day and that same day on the way back the car had full power again and was able to maintain speed without any issues. It happens in or out of eco mode at random, I also run 92 premium.
i decided to remove it, haven’t had any issues since. I’m disappointed especially for the money i’ve spent on it. As for your issue are you sure the AC is actually off? I’ve noticed that unless the OFF option is actually highlighted, the AC comes on any way (when neither ON or OFF are highlighted in the AC menu)
Sponsored