BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 1.5 FBO CVT
Country flag
I was interested in getting an oil catch can for the car, I've heard that the 1.5T doesn't need it since it doesn't have much carbon build-up, Is this true? I feel like getting one won't hurt anything more of a safety thing maybe my wallet might get hurt since its about $200.
Sponsored

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
I was interested in getting an oil catch can for the car, I've heard that the 1.5T doesn't need it since it doesn't have much carbon build-up, Is this true? I feel like getting one won't hurt anything more of a safety thing maybe my wallet might get hurt since its about $200.
The stock air/oil separator apparently does a very good job and I trust Honda's engineers more than random people that make the same AM catch cans that work with all cars. I personally wouldn't bother. Maybe go to the middle and buy a cheap one just to see if it does anything? Though you'd have to go through installing it for nothing if it ends up not catching anything.

Here's a dissection of the stock air/oil separator, looks stout to me, lots of winding passages and baffles to intercept oil...
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations

OP
OP
BlueJay21

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stock air/oil separator apparently does a very good job and I trust Honda's engineers more than random people that make the same AM catch cans that work with all cars. I personally wouldn't bother. Maybe go to the middle and buy a cheap one just to see if it does anything? Though you'd have to go through installing it for nothing if it ends up not catching anything.

Here's a dissection of the stock air/oil separator, looks stout to me, lots of winding passages and baffles to intercept oil...
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations
So your telling me a oil catch can is basically useless, since the car already has something like it?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
So your telling me a oil catch can is basically useless, since the car already has something like it?
Pretty much. Considering that MAPerformance could have sold something but instead admitted it wasn't needed. They even provided detailed analysis showing why it wasn't needed......

OP
OP
BlueJay21

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pretty much. Considering that MAPerformance could have sold something but instead admitted it wasn't needed. They even provided detailed analysis showing why it wasn't needed......
I figured so, since not many company are making them for the car so it’s prob. not needed, I might get it as a last mod just for ascetics purposes!

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
MAPerformance, aren't they a company that has no qualms selling Boomba BOVs and Injen air intakes to the unsuspecting 10th gen community, and both of those products have quite a bit of history as not being the best products to put on a civic?
Not sure if I would take a sample size of 1 relatively new car with probably factory boost by 1 company as the end all be all case on whether a catch can is useless or not. Do some research, there's a lot of people with a different opinion.
Personally, my catch can collects about 5ml of fluid every 4,000 miles. Analysis of the fluid showed it consisted of 6% water, 10% gas, the remaining 84% being oil. Whether or not somebody else thinks it's worth installing a catch can to keep the amount of fluid collected out of their engine is their choice, I don't really care what you do to your car.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I've used blackstone labs analysis and run my M1 oil until 5% remaining is shown. Blackstone labs tells me I can extend out much further. I have not seen any reason for concern in their reports. Putting a catch can in line before the PCV system will of course pick up something, but stock implementation of the PCV system and baffles in the head seem to do just fine.

Adding a catch can because it looks cool is just adding another component which needs to be checked, and also adds a small amount of weight to the car. There are other things you can add which actually give a benefit to the driving experience. Consider a short shifter, upgraded intake, intercooler, an oil cooler, hell even an extra set of driving lamps will make a difference.

OP
OP
BlueJay21

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've used blackstone labs analysis and run my M1 oil until 5% remaining is shown. Blackstone labs tells me I can extend out much further. I have not seen any reason for concern in their reports. Putting a catch can in line before the PCV system will of course pick up something, but stock implementation of the PCV system and baffles in the head seem to do just fine.

Adding a catch can because it looks cool is just adding another component which needs to be checked, and also adds a small amount of weight to the car. There are other things you can add which actually give a benefit to the driving experience. Consider a short shifter, upgraded intake, intercooler, an oil cooler, hell even an extra set of driving lamps will make a difference.
I hundred percent agree if I can spend it somewhere else I would, I already have a intake and a exhaust, some other astetic mods on the car kinda wanna do a 27won turbo but idk it’s a cvt after all… otherwise I would, I don’t mind dropping $200 or even less when it’s on sale, for it just to be a extra part doing no good… but better safe then sorry! I am pushing 24psi with Phearable tune so I might need it.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hundred percent agree if I can spend it somewhere else I would, I already have a intake and a exhaust, some other astetic mods on the car kinda wanna do a 27won turbo but idk it’s a cvt after all… otherwise I would, I don’t mind dropping $200 or even less when it’s on sale, for it just to be a extra part doing no good… but better safe then sorry! I am pushing 24psi with Phearable tune so I might need it.
downpipe? hell an upgraded intercooler will do wonders for avoiding heatsoak, add a set of hardpipes if you want to do it right

OP
OP
BlueJay21

BlueJay21

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
downpipe? hell an upgraded intercooler will do wonders for avoiding heatsoak, add a set of hardpipes if you want to do it right
I have the cnt dp and fp with the bms intercooler, I don’t have many easy mods left maybe a resonantor delete to squeeze some extra hp. Everything else requires a lot more work and research!
Sponsored