Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled!

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Civic X is saying that the US will get it second. Not sure where the quote came from, but it says

Jean-Marc Streng, General Manager of Honda Motor Europe, Automobiles Division, commented: “The Civic is a core model for Europe with a strong sales and manufacturing heritage in the region. For many European customers, Civic is synonymous with the Honda brand. The all-new Civic hatchback continues this tradition, and we hope will continue to be a key volume pillar for the European business. We are excited to be developing this next generation model and look forward to its introduction in early 2017.”

He is the manager for Europe, not North America. He is looking forward to the introduction in 2017....in Europe. My opinion is that it is very possible that the hatch will be available in the US first.
Sponsored

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I want it depending on how much cargo there really is. Hopefully it will come out with bugs fixed that are happening in the 2016 sedan.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eh not a fan of this look, the hatchback should have its own identity and dna. I fell as though this takes a page from the Sedan and just makes it look like a hatchback. The back needs some work to truly make it a hatchback, also why so long? Not impressed with this at all. Will wait for the SI and type R. Hopefully the type R will take a page from the Europe Type R. That is a true hatchback design.
The Euro Type R is based on the 9th gen Euro civic hatch. What we are looking at is the new 10th gen hatch, which means this is what the new type R will be based on, not the previous gen hatch.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I've been wondering that also. Since Europe has a hatch, and we don't, seems to make sense to bring us one asap and let the current hatch finish out its life cycle in EU, before finally introducing a new one in 2017.
I'm glad I have a Honda now or else I wouldn't be able to wait this long!
The problem with the current gen euro hatch is that it shares more in common with our Fit than our civics. It would be like driving the worst parts of the 9th gen civics and the honda Fit. Its definitely a better decision that they wait for the 10th gen to release before bringing it here.

paterico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRX, RSX
Have a look at the official US Honda press release:

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8873-en

"The Civic Hatchback Prototype showcases the aggressive new design of the 2017 Civic Hatchback, launching later this year as the third new Civic variant in what constitutes the sportiest most expansive Civic lineup ever, including the 2016 Sedan and Coupe and still-to-come Civic Si variants and radical new Civic Type R."

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have a look at the official US Honda press release:

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8873-en

"The Civic Hatchback Prototype showcases the aggressive new design of the 2017 Civic Hatchback, launching later this year as the third new Civic variant in what constitutes the sportiest most expansive Civic lineup ever, including the 2016 Sedan and Coupe and still-to-come Civic Si variants and radical new Civic Type R."
How weird... seems that nobody can agree on an on sale timeline. Though this is official from honda, so i'd trust this before anything else. And in my mind this makes the most sense. The 9th gen euro hatch is nearing it's lifespan end this year... it would make way more sense that the new hatch be released this year mid year in europe and this fall here along with the new manual transmission options.

astein244@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic LX Manual,1995 Civic Del Sol SI 278k,1995 BMW M3 5 speed (rip),1992 SC300 5 speedl(rip),2005 Is300 5 speed(rip)
So...Im thinking I park my lease at 20k miles. get an s2000 whip it till the Type r comes out...hmmm decisions decisions

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wow. Honda better start clarifying this statement.
Yea that's definitely not true. As recently as at the coupe launch event, Honda confirmed to us that the Si will come in the same body styles as before (meaning coupe and sedan).
Sponsored