Official: Civic Hatchback Prototype Unveiled!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The NYC presenter today said the CTR will be hatch only. It is being built at Swindon, which will make ONLY hatches (normal and CTR).
Did they happen to mention WHEN?!!!
Sponsored

Maxvla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Grand Prix
Course not. It will be the last of the Civics released. Probably as a 2018 model late next year.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's just so disheartening to think that the Type-R is going to be Hatchback only. I'm still going to hope they do some sort of coupe (like they did overseas) because honestly, if it's a 5 door hatch I'm going to stick with my modified 8th Gen and leave the new Type-R in the dust. Another interesting note is that the hatchbacks aren't even getting the 2.0, they're getting the 1.5T. SMH, They must really want me to go Subaru. I'll hold out to see what happens 4th quarter this year. It's like Honda is basically saying, "Hey guys here's the new Type-R! but.. it's a family car.. oh and it's only got the 1.5T in it, oh and.. etc.." Talk about enthusiast crowd killer.

Maxvla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Grand Prix
The 1.5L is for European taxation rules. You pay less for a smaller displacement, and since this is a global car (like the One-Ford and their 1.0L 3 cyls) that means we get the same engines. The CTR is confirmed to be a 2.0T putting out north of 300HP. The Si is still up in the air as far as I know, but it's about 50/50 whether it's a performance tuned 1.5T (vs economy tuned like the EX-T) or an economy tuned CTR motor. Estimates for Si power around rumored around 230HP.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1.5L is for European taxation rules. You pay less for a smaller displacement, and since this is a global car (like the One-Ford and their 1.0L 3 cyls) that means we get the same engines. The CTR is confirmed to be a 2.0T putting out north of 300HP. The Si is still up in the air as far as I know, but it's about 50/50 whether it's a performance tuned 1.5T (vs economy tuned like the EX-T) or an economy tuned CTR motor. Estimates for Si power around rumored around 230HP.
Yea, I get the whole "Global Car" approach. The 2.0T, 300+HP for the CTR is confirmed? Can you site your source please, I must have missed it.

Maxvla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Grand Prix
It was confirmed a long time ago. Wouldn't know where to find it now.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Yea, I get the whole "Global Car" approach. The 2.0T, 300+HP for the CTR is confirmed? Can you site your source please, I must have missed it.
I have seen this as well but I can't recall where. Motor trend?
In any case the hatch gets 1.5T and 2.0T.
Honda hasn't had a two door hatch in a while now. Coupes are North America Only as I understand.

89AKurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 1969 Chevrolet C-10 pickup
Country flag
I see design cues from the Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 in the grills. I like the brakes. The twin exhaust pipes are cool, like the MINI Coopers I had.
Otherwise, I won't be tempted to trade my Coupe for one.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see design cues from the Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 in the grills. I like the brakes. The twin exhaust pipes are cool, like the MINI Coopers I had.
Otherwise, I won't be tempted to trade my Coupe for one.
I forget where it is but in one of the interview the designer says that he took inspiration from the lamborghini aventador for the fronts bumper.
Sponsored