Newest 2017 Civic Hatchback Prototype Spotted

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I just noticed that there is no lane watch camera on this one although it has the led headlights. Probably just because it's a test car.
Sponsored

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
60cu/ft or better of cargo space and offered in Energy Green I'd be very tempted. Otherwise I'm good.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While i don't think it's bad looking, and we all know from the coupe/sedans that prototype photos almost always make the car look terrible, this does not cause me any love loss for the coupe. Maybe if the rear overhang was more like the coupe and less like the sedan it'd be more appealing to me, but obviously cutting off that much rear space would defeat the purpose of having a hatchback for utility reasons. I agree that a more mazda3-esque rear window/profile would've been better overall instead of keeping the 8th/9th gen hatch rear profile shape.

I agree now that the civic has stepped up it's power figures the fit could use that to gain a bit of oomph. Maybe a detuned version of the 1.5T (145-150 would be class leading and plenty of power while keeping it under the civics performance numbers). I think the HRV would benefit from using the 2.0NA or 1.5T as well. And both the Fit and HRV should move to the scalable platform for their next generations to curb production costs further as well as take advantage of the weight savings and stiffer frame. That still leaves room for the base accords to adopt a slightly uptuned 1.5T and for the V6 to continue to be the powerhouse of the accord lineup (or maybe the 2.0T eventually from the CTR).

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
HPJ also says he knows it will only be Turbo and will be available with Manual Transmission. Win!

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
HPJ also says he knows it will only be Turbo and will be available with Manual Transmission. Win!
Honda's officially said as much. Haven't detailed which trims, however. Will be a shame if it's only available on a base trim.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Headlights and wheels suggest this one is a Touring model.

I think it looks great here with the toned-down body.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda's officially said as much. Haven't detailed which trims, however. Will be a shame if it's only available on a base trim.
My guess is that the manual will be available on EXT and EXL trims only. The honda sensing suite doesn't work with a manual transmission, so they may forgo offering a manual on the touring since the sensing is the biggest content leap over the EXL anyway.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Headlights and wheels suggest this one is a Touring model.

I think it looks great here with the toned-down body.
The rims look like touring rims too (painted all black, because camo).

I agree the toned down look helps over what we first saw on the track with all the CTR add ons

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda can keep the hatch. This thing looks hella ugly. Ill take my sedan any day or at least until the si or Type-R comes out.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only thing I'd want from this is the rear wiper for better rain vision.. :p Although if Hatches were out same time as sedans, I probably would have just gotten the hatch so I can fit more stuff in the car.. having a 4-door hatch and a 4-door sedan in the same line up is weird because why would anybody really get the normal sedan when you get the best of both worlds, sedan and hatch for more room? Especially when the hatch barely looks different from the sedan.

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
why would anybody really get the normal sedan when you get the best of both worlds, sedan and hatch for more room? Especially when the hatch barely looks different from the sedan.
Based on how it looks in these spy shots, I'd actually be surprised if it does have more room in the back of the hatch there, than the sedan does in the trunk. The Sedan's trunk huge!

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
having a 4-door hatch and a 4-door sedan in the same line up is weird because why would anybody really get the normal sedan when you get the best of both worlds, sedan and hatch for more room? Especially when the hatch barely looks different from the sedan.
The hatch will be more expensive than the sedan and likely not available in the lower end trims. That alone suggests the sedan will significantly outsell the hatch.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The hatch will be more expensive than the sedan and likely not available in the lower end trims. That alone suggests the sedan will significantly outsell the hatch.
Almost any hatch in the USA is considered a niche vehicle since they don't sell as well as their sedan counterparts. The only company ive ever known to the contrary is Subaru with the Impreza, where the hatch was preferred over the sedan, but i think that says more about Subaru buyers in general than US customers overall.

The hatch is being marketed as a sporty model... so you have the sedan for the general public. The coupe is the small sporty entry. But if you need more space than the coupe, the hatch offers sedan space with hatch/sedan utility. It also offers a larger car for people looking at the Fit but who want something a bit more upscale and powerful.

That's why it's being built in Swindon and shipped here, no point in building them here when they'll sell in such low volumes.

Diversion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will be from what i've read but I doubt it will matter enough. Last time Honda had a Coupe, Hatch, and Sedan in the Civic line up, at least the Hatch was called a Si and only 2 doors. Having two very similar 4-door cars is beyond odd.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will be from what i've read but I doubt it will matter enough. Last time Honda had a Coupe, Hatch, and Sedan in the Civic line up, at least the Hatch was called a Si and only 2 doors. Having two very similar 4-door cars is beyond odd.
It's going to get even weirder when the new CRZ comes around. From what i've heard it's being positioned almost as a 3 door civic hatch (possibly being called the Civic CRZ) and will share both the 1.5T and 2.0T from the civics (the smaller being combined with a hybrid setup while the 2.0T will be gas only). So effectively offering 2 sedans and 2 coupes in the civic lineup.
Sponsored