Anyone believe that dealer plants are on this site pushing ADMs to drive prices up?

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I question those who keep saying that if you want a car pay the ADM. I don't know that I trust these people. What might dishonest people do to get a big commission check. Again 57% of us claim to have paid MSRP. I don't understand anyone who would pay $20000 over MSRP unless they were writing this off as a tax deduction.
Sponsored

pdiizeru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type-R #225
Country flag
I question those who keep saying that if you want a car pay the ADM. I don't know that I trust these people. What might dishonest people do to get a big commission check. Again 57% of us claim to have paid MSRP. I don't understand anyone who would pay $20000 over MSRP unless they were writing this off as a tax deduction.
I wouldn't put it passed them.

I just ignore them. Sure pay what you want, but don't tell others to waste their money.

nabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S, Acura RLX
Never ever pay ADM, that is my stance on it. A local dealer called me asking if I was still interested in it (they are asking $10k ADM) to which I replied I will not pay a cent over MSRP. They tried to tell me it is a limited car, blah blah blah, and I said if 6000 cars is limited well I suppose you can sell it for whatever price you like but I will not pay ADM.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
MSRP + Accessories at cost is what I am shooting for and what I have told salesman that have called me asking if I am still interested. I have also said I will buy an HRV for my wife if I can get a Type R at MSRP. Dealerships are already making about $5K at MSRP on the car which is why I refuse to pay more than that.

Mugen type r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I'm sure there are dealers on here pushing ADM, but the reality of it is, if you aren't on a list already and you want the car NOW, you will most likely pay an ADM to get this car. Sales people don't need to come on here to push that, it's what it is in the market right now. You see more and more dealers dropping their ADM because the are sitting on the lots with 10-15k ADM right now. You still see the stubborn dealers not budging though. Right now they are selling around 5k ADM and people are still saying that is too much, but I bet if it was 2k ADM that person would jump on it right now. Fast forward two months where the norm is 2k ADM, people will continue to say it's too much. It's just a cycle until the market flattens out. People even say never pay msrp. So you see, it's all subjective to what you are comfortable paying.

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
I'm sure there are dealers on here pushing ADM, but the reality of it is, if you aren't on a list already and you want the car NOW, you will most likely pay an ADM to get this car. Sales people don't need to come on here to push that, it's what it is in the market right now. You see more and more dealers dropping their ADM because the are sitting on the lots with 10-15k ADM right now. You still see the stubborn dealers not budging though. Right now they are selling around 5k ADM and people are still saying that is too much, but I bet if it was 2k ADM that person would jump on it right now. Fast forward two months where the norm is 2k ADM, people will continue to say it's too much. It's just a cycle until the market flattens out. People even say never pay msrp. So you see, it's all subjective to what you are comfortable paying.
I have a few dealer called back and said the manager willing to go $1k lower than the $5k ADM over MSRP.. They said they sold the last one for $4k over and asking the next one $5k over since the manager missed out on making more money... but they now willing to go a bit down. I then tell them no...

Mugen type r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I have a few dealer called back and said the manager willing to go $1k lower than the $5k ADM over MSRP.. They said they sold the last one for $4k over and asking the next one $5k over since the manager missed out on making more money... but they now willing to go a bit down. I then tell them no...
Yeah someone local just got one for 3k over. So if someone wanted one now, you can find one for less than 5k if you really looked, but like I said, you will still be paying an ADM. The CW will be more difficult to get though. They will continue to sell for 3-5k ADM until they start sitting on the lots, then the prices will drop.

SpraykwoN

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec and looking for a Civic Type-R
Country flag
We need to see if there are more shipments of cars on their way here like we did for the second wave.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
I paid a small ADM, but that's because I didn't want to wait. That being said, I wouldn't be paying more then $3-4k extra. I was also in the position where I traded one vehicle in and paid the difference.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I know without a doubt that Honda Corporate is furious with dealers charging absurd amounts of mark up.

That said, I wouldn't put it past some DEALERSHIPS to put people on the forum to push ADM.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
This is how I see it too. It is possible people are here trying to hype it up more than is real, but I sort of doubt it. I think in some markets the demand does outstrip supply by quite a bit so dealers were able to charge crazy ADMs. Those days are coming to an end quickly though.

OP
OP
Plombhpa

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
This is how I see it too. It is possible people are here trying to hype it up more than is real, but I sort of doubt it. I think in some markets the demand does outstrip supply by quite a bit so dealers were able to charge crazy ADMs. Those days are coming to an end quickly though.
I agree that many have called multiple dealers so the dealers are looking to take advantage of desperate buyers. The ADMs are coming down but what do you do when negotiating for a car. The dealers rightfully can ask for any price but if buyers are smart they shouldn't just offer $5k because they want a car. I have sent this message numerous times offer MSRP and show cash. Dealers want to sell cars. If everyone would just hold the line like 57% of us then they would have cars at MSRP.

Don't buy the hype, buy a Type R.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I feel that Type R's capabilities justify a higher price from an objective standpoint. If Honda put an MSRP of $39,447 on CTR, I would still say that it is a bargain compared to the competition (though it would still be missing AWD, which is important to a lot of people). To this extent, I *could* see people paying an ADM of around $5,000 to get an early admission to the party.

However, I don't see myself paying any ADM (alright, no more than a $1,000 or something) in the future. I would be concerned about paying not only an insurance deductible but also losing the entire ADM if the car were to be totaled in an accident or stolen (and not recovered, or vandalized/damaged heavily). It would be a total brain dead move on my part. Moreover, you could also be permanently underwater if you were to finance.

I am absolutely certain that the vast majority of people who paid an exorbitant ADM for a Miata, S2000, RS, etc. back in the day are regretting that with a 20/20 hindsight. Yes, getting an awesome and exclusive new car before everyone else is definitely worth something . . . . but $20K more? Don't think so. CTR is not a $55K car by any stretch of the imagination -- buy an Golf R, RS, STI, etc., and get AWD, and pocket $15K!!

At $35K, CTR is a screaming bargain and I am planning to get it.

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Doubt dealers are making sales through forums.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Talk about a blast from the past! This is a thread from the initial release. Although, some things haven't changed.
Sponsored